News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 306     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 852     0 

Car2Go Illegal Parking - Solutions?

Each person is entitled to their own views on this, and I would simply state that spending over $200 per year, which is the current rate for a standard parking spot, is a bit pricey. At the price I pay currently, I should be guaranteed a spot... But as we know its a crapshoot at best.

I think most people, seeing the hard evidence of a car-sized plot of land in this city having a far higher market value than $200/yr, would say that parking permit owners are taking the rest of us for a ride getting such an absurdly low price for a valuable piece of land. Once parking permit owners are paying their fair share which is a LOT more than $200/year, then perhaps there should be a conversation about guaranteed spots, etc. However, while they're getting such an insanely great deal, I don't think there's any room to say you "should be guaranteed a spot".

I think most people, seeing the hard evidence of a car-sized plot of land in this city having a far higher market value than $200/yr, would say that parking permit owners are taking the rest of us for a ride getting such an absurdly low price for a valuable piece of land. Once parking permit owners are paying their fair share which is a LOT more than $200/year, then perhaps there should be a conversation about guaranteed spots, etc. However, while they're getting such an insanely great deal, I don't think there's any room to say you "should be guaranteed a spot".

Most people don't agree with the anti-car extremism, just the people who want everyone to bike to work and consider cars evil. That's hardly most people in general.

Like most others, I'd say we need a balanced approach: better accessibility for cars, bike lanes in areas that make sense, and good urban transport as a choice - but not a forced choice - so that there's balance.

Part of that balance is not overpricing parking. The parking fees are extreme as it stands, over $200 a year is too much just to park your car in a non-downtown neighborhood.

The other side of the balance is to ensure fares stop skyrocketing. $3.00 is a bit pricey for a single ride, I'd like to see that flatten out and not increase for several years. Transit needs to be accessible and affordable just like car parking should be.

I'm pro-choice and anti-force. We can all make our own decisions when we're not penalized for either.

I'd have to disagree. I am a blue collar working class person and when I moved to a place that has street parking only, I could not believe how cheap it was. It feels criminal every time I renew my permit.

Most people don't agree with the anti-car extremism, just the people who want everyone to bike to work and consider cars evil. That's hardly most people in general.

Like most others, I'd say we need a balanced approach: better accessibility for cars, bike lanes in areas that make sense, and good urban transport as a choice - but not a forced choice - so that there's balance.

Part of that balance is not overpricing parking. The parking fees are extreme as it stands, over $200 a year is too much just to park your car in a non-downtown neighborhood.

The other side of the balance is to ensure fares stop skyrocketing. $3.00 is a bit pricey for a single ride, I'd like to see that flatten out and not increase for several years. Transit needs to be accessible and affordable just like car parking should be.

I'm pro-choice and anti-force. We can all make our own decisions when we're not penalized for either.

You want a guaranteed piece of prime street for $200 a year? If the spots are always full it's a sign of not being expensive enough.

I don't expect a wide variety of opinion on a very urban oriented forum where most people are anti-car. But in general, yes $200+ is a bit extreme for parking fees.

I don't expect a wide variety of opinion on a very urban oriented forum where most people are anti-car. But in general, yes $200+ is a bit extreme for parking fees.

No, it isn't. Why did you bother posting on this forum if you take such issue with it? As you might have noticed, "urban" is right there in the name. You're not going to find many people who are going to cry over your poor, horrible situation of having to pay 10% of what you should be paying for parking.

It's extreme all right. In some neighbourhoods, it's closer to $200 a month if you go private. So how isn't $200 a year cheap? It's extremely cheap.

It's extreme all right. In some neighbourhoods, it's closer to $200 a month if you go private. So how isn't $200 a year cheap? It's extremely cheap.

Paying slightly over $200 a year just for the "right" to park my own car in front of my own home in a non-immediate-downtown area with single family homes? That's kind of crazy. Property listings suggest annual property taxes for many aren't more than $800-1000. I'm essentially paying a property tax to own a vehicle.

No, it isn't. Why did you bother posting on this forum if you take such issue with it? As you might have noticed, "urban" is right there in the name. You're not going to find many people who are going to cry over your poor, horrible situation of having to pay 10% of what you should be paying for parking.

The original point was this forum isn't a scientific, representative sample of everyone in the greater Toronto community. If you have a problem with opposing opinions that's not my problem, I'll post as I like. I welcome your opinion, even if you think $200 is too cheap for parking. I'm not upset, just find it amusing that someone actually believes this stuff. ;) Have you never discussed these issues with people that have a different point of view?

I've walked and used the TTC more in the past two weeks by far than I've used my automobile, so my views certainly aren't anti-transit in any way, shape, or form. I just philosophically don't believe in coercive fees to try and shape behaviors. Its a genuine difference. I don't think you have a right to charge me 10x more just because that's how you feel.

Last edited:
Paying slightly over $200 a year just for the "right" to park my own car in front of my own home in a non-immediate-downtown area with single family homes? That's kind of crazy. Property listings suggest annual property taxes for many aren't more than $800-1000. I'm essentially paying a property tax to own a vehicle.

The original point was this forum isn't a scientific, representative sample of everyone in the greater Toronto community. If you have a problem with opposing opinions that's not my problem, I'll post as I like. I welcome your opinion, even if you think $200 is too cheap for parking. I'm not upset, just find it amusing that someone actually believes this stuff. ;) Have you never discussed these issues with people that have a different point of view?

I've walked and used the TTC more in the past two weeks by far than I've used my automobile, so my views certainly aren't anti-transit in any way, shape, or form. I just philosophically don't believe in coercive fees to try and shape behaviors. Its a genuine difference. I don't think you have a right to charge me 10x more just because that's how you feel.

$200 per month is a good deal for parking, may it be at a parking garage at an office or right in front of your home. I'm not saying that I agree on $200 a month to park, but when you compare it to other parking fees/taxes, it's in the lower side.

You're not only parking on city owned land, you are obstructing a full lane of a street that could be used to move traffic and you're paying basically nothing to do it. You don't own the city streets.

I don't understand this perspective at all. Are you the same guy that throws a fit if you can't park directly in front of your house? The entitlement is unbelievable.

You're not only parking on city owned land, you are obstructing a full lane of a street that could be used to move traffic and you're paying basically nothing to do it. You don't own the city streets.

I don't understand this perspective at all. Are you the same guy that throws a fit if you can't park directly in front of your house? The entitlement is unbelievable.

The sense of entitlement is other people who believe they have a right to my bank account to take absurd amounts of money from me for parking a vehicle in front of my home on a residential street that is lined with single family homes away from business and other uses, not in a downtown setting. How much is enough? $500 a year? $1,000? There's never enough for some, and they aren't entitled to my bank account even though they have a sense of entitlement that shouldn't exist.

Straw man argument to say I'm throwing a fit, I have presented a well reasoned opposing viewpoint. A fit that does not make.

It is crazy - should be $500 - at least in a neighbourhood with a shortage of permits. Annual property taxes aren't more than $800-$1000? For a house? Or are you talking about a garage in an alley?

It is crazy - should be $500 - at least in a neighbourhood with a shortage of permits. Annual property taxes aren't more than $800-$1000? For a house? Or are you talking about a garage in an alley?

No one should be required to pay $500 to park a car in front of their home where they live. That's highway robbery, literally. There's no feasible reason for anyone to pay that for parking an automobile in residential, non-downtown settings.

No one should be required to pay $500 to park a car in front of their home where they live. That's highway robbery, literally. There's no feasible reason for anyone to pay that for parking an automobile in residential, non-downtown settings.
Which non-downtown settings have a shortage of permits?

It's not like you own the road.

Back