News   Apr 16, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 710     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 485     3 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

Captain John’s Restaurant ordered to shut down

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1217601--captain-john-s-restaurant-ordered-to-shut-down?bn=1 :D

By Susan Pigg
Business Reporter

Captain John’s floating restaurant — a fixture on Toronto’s waterfront since 1975 — has been shut down by the city.

Waterfront Toronto rescinded its lease for the watery slip at the foot of Yonge St. Tuesday and warned “Captain” John Letnik that he has until July 27 to remove everything, including the ship’s weather-beaten signs.

At the same time, the City of Toronto shut off water to the ship and a health department inspector ordered the restaurant closed because staff would be unable to wash utensils or their hands.

“It’s heartbreaking. They’re going to have to take the boat over and I’ll be walking the streets,” said Letnik, who’s lived on his beloved ship, the Jadran, since 1983.

Letnik owes more than $500,000 in back taxes, rent and insurance on the slip and 300-foot ship. The captain has been trying to find a buyer and, while he claims to have had some interest, no one was willing to sink millions into the decrepit landmark without a long-term lease on the slip.

Waterfront Toronto and civic officials had been quietly hoping the ship would just go away — and had been getting increasingly impatient in their demands for payment — because the rusting hulk sits next to a part of the eastern waterfront undergoing a remarkable renaissance.

Waterfront Toronto officials couldn’t be reached Tuesday to say what’s likely to happen next. The ship will most likely have to be towed away to a scrap yard because it has no engine and is mired deep in the muck of Lake Ontario.

Last edited:
I feel bad that Letnik wasn't able to sell the boat or business. It's a sad end to a once thriving landmark but it is time for it to go.

But big, old boats are still fun to explore, especially for kids. They have such great nooks and crannies, which is why they make great museums/attractions.

It would be great to grab a decommissioned navy frigate for a waterfront museum.

RIP Captain John

captainjohn.jpg

I feel bad that Letnik wasn't able to sell the boat or business. It's a sad end to a once thriving landmark but it is time for it to go.

To be fair, true Cap'nJohnophiles might claim it jumped the shark once the tugboat at the foot of Yonge sank 30 years ago and all the action shifted to the Jadran...

I'd love to see this boat moved to that fake lake in Downsview Park and turned into a museum or maybe a play area for children. I'm sure there are many good uses for an old boat like this but it would probably be way too expensive to move it there. (but if it was possible it would be pretty cool and kids would love it) I hate to see a big boat like that just go to waste.

Sink the thing and turn it into a tourist attraction for scooba diving in the harbour.

WaterfronToronto has grand plans for a wave deck at the foot of Yonge St. and for the slip of land traded with Cityzen/Fernbrook, the developers of Pier 27. It's going to be the crown jewel of the Queens Quay redevelopment and Cpt. John's was in the way. I won't be sad to see it go as long as WT doesn't take long on its plan to make the Yonge St. quay the flagship that they planned it to be all along.

The West8 Harbourfront Plan shows a relocated ferry terminal - to the slip, there, at the foot of Yonge Street. It would be a good location for it, and certainly would be a great excuse to build an entirely new one. Although here it looks like it impinges on where Waterlink is going. Still, there's a good amount of room. Especially if the Yonge Slip / Plaza was extended outwards into the harbour a bit.

west8ferries.jpg

As for Captain John's...R.I.P. I never went personally, I always thought it looked touristy and untrustworthy. I think it'd be great if the boat could be repurposed and put to some noble use, such as Great Lakes or Harbour transit. I imagine, though, that it's hardly in sailing condition.

Last edited:
I hope it isn't scrapped, they could use it for many other purposes. Move it and dock it up next to the old Malting Silos and make it a Toronto Marine Museum or something.

I hope not, the last thing we need is piece of a clunker becoming even more of a government problem requiring additional public funds to sustain - besides, I'd rather get my hands on a RCN frigate instead of a clunker with no tangible connection to the country other than serving as a dining establishment.

AoD

Last edited:

Back