News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 664     0 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

I think a lot of people would agree, Captain John's really only mattered when it was just the tugboat at the foot of Yonge....

I like the idea of sinking it. It would preserve it in a way. Still accessible to the public, this could be a treasure for the waterfront.

I don't agree it can't be saved.
First off, the boat too big for one restaurant. Build a pier along the west side and blow one side out of the boat right out on to the pier.
Lock it into the pier permanently.
A restaurant, a coffee shop, maybe a fudge shop,/candy store. A little boutique bakery.

I was at the wedding there once 20 years ago.
I can't say I remember the food. The company was great.

I vote keep it.

I went to a wedding there 20 years ago. I vote to keep it.

It's another way of preserving it.

Last edited:
if they legalize prostitution, it should be converted to a floating brothel. it's already got "john" in the name. spend more than $5000 and get a free captain's hat!

I much enjoyed reading those trip advisor reviews until I came to the post that was written by my wife advising all to stay away. I had clearly blocked all memory of visiting this place for a wedding several years back. I remember now begging my wife not to go - we escaped w/o contracting salmonella.

The only redeeming feature of the place was the shlocky pictures and reviews posted all over the upper deck. Its a worthy blast from the past showing how Capt Johns was once a fine dining establishment frequented by the 1970's Toronto movers and shakers. I swear I took some pics at the wedding of the food just to prove to others how bad it was....have to dig them up.

I found the photoset of that wonderful evening. I won't put the pics of the wedding itself but here are some of the pics of the pictures posted on the upper deck. Most have the capt in his heyday. As well there is a pic of the food as well as one of the capt himself presiding over the festivities or perhaps wondering why he didn't make Joanne Cates year end best restaurants list.

I agree with the above....the city needs to force him off the waterfront before the capt eats his own food one night and has a coronary leaving the city to pick up the disposal cost.

This should be placed infront of South beach condos or beyond the seas lol, add to the illusion they are selling!

To be fair that isn't one the Capt John's fine entre's but rather a selection of the buffet table. My wife picked off the items that looked the least repulsive and as you can see didn't do much more than poke it around. I made sure to eat before I went to the ceremony so I just piled a plate with a variety of items that probably made their way back to the buffet the next day. One of the Capt's tricks was to keep the lights down very low so you didn't see much detail.

Captain John’s Restaurant: Inside the Toronto landmark that’s now a duct-taped dream

http://www.thestar.com/business/art...o-landmark-that-s-now-a-duct-taped-dream?bn=1

But Letnik’s duct-taped dream of a new future for his business may be sunk by other problems: The captain, who is actually trained to cook rather than sail, owes well over half a million dollars in back taxes, rent and insurance on the watery slip and the Queens Quay walkway to the ship’s gangplank.

Back