News   Jun 20, 2024
 416     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 610     0 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

The 6 o'clock CTV News just reported the Captain John's will be moved by next week. The original bidder has partnered with a demolition company to get it done. There is $500,000 worth of scrap value in the boat apparently.

I wonder how Priestley Demolition will scrap the ship. AFAIK they're not a ship breaking firm like the professionals in Welland.

I wonder how Priestley Demolition will scrap the ship.

Is it Priestley who got the contract? Maybe they consider it more of a building than a ship at this point.

Should have given the contract to Teperman Demo. They've got more experience tearing down Toronto landmarks. :D

201466-demo-tepperman.jpg

This is what CTV reported:

Sbrolla will be working with Priestly Demolition to help with the move and the stripping of the ship, which he said will be done in two steps.

"The intention is to move (the ship) within the Toronto Port and to start the environmental work at another location where Priestly’s already working," he said. "We’ll start the work there and it will be done in two stages."

But not everything on the ship will be heading to the junkyard. Parts of the it will be salvaged thanks to a partnership with the Toronto Brigantine Inc., a non-profit group that works with young sailors.

Sbrolla said he hopes to save some of the defunct floating seafood eatery's more historical parts, such as the vessel's teak floors.

The plan still has to be rubber stamped by the court, but the ship will likely be removed by next week, CTV Toronto's Heather Wright reports.

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/in-limbo-...-heading-to-scrapyard-1.1972567#ixzz3BJlqzQLE

I continue to think the whole plan is very amateur. Priestly probably is able to strip out more from the ship (or hulk?) but I wonder if they have the experience to move the ship itself. Time will tell!

Priestly isn't moving the ship. Another partner (Brigantine) with that expertise will be moving it, salvaging some parts and then Priestly will take over to demolish and scrap the rest.

Joke's on us. We're going to be the ones footing the bill to make it go away.
We need to stop being such cheap asses. If the city foreclosed on a house that was not paying its taxes, and then the house had become condemned, the city would have to cover the cost of knocking it down.

The city is the owner of the boat, IIRC. The city should pay for it to be removed. Get on with it already. There's a perfect shipbreaking yard just down the coast in Welland, so dredge it clear and tow it to Welland.

Has mayor Tory made any comments or commitments on removing the ship? It can't be this hard. Just dismantle it at the quayside. We've done this before 65 years ago, where the the sunken hull of the Noronic was partially dismantled at Toronto and then towed to Hamilton and scrapped.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/09/a_brief_history_of_the_ss_noronic_disaster/
It is actually a Toronto Port Authority (the 'landlord" - waterlord?) responsibility - though the City is involved s they own us for water and taxes.

Back