News   May 22, 2024
 310     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 395     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 2.4K     0 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

Toronto entrepreneur James Sbrolla of the North American Seafood Exchange should be sued by the city for wasting everyone's time while they look for a new buyer. What's the cost of the city just scrapping it themselves if they can't find a buyer?

hawc:

The second bid is about negative 100K - so it will take about that much from the city net the value of the scrap, etc. Agree with the spirit of making him pay - not sure if it is in the taxpayers' interest however, given it will cost additional money to pursue a lawsuit, plus gawd forbid he would probably tie up the whole process and delay the the removal of the wreck even more.

AoD

Was there a deposit he had to pay that he won't be getting back?
I think 10% ($3000). I also seem to remember that Hydro have scheduled the removal of their hydro connection on 23rd (tomorrow) and I assume this is going ahead. Until the wiring is removed the boat cannot 'sail'. :->

hawc:

The second bid is about negative 100K - so it will take about that much from the city net the value of the scrap, etc. Agree with the spirit of making him pay - not sure if it is in the taxpayers' interest however, given it will cost additional money to pursue a lawsuit, plus gawd forbid he would probably tie up the whole process and delay the the removal of the wreck even more.

AoD

In my opinion the Port Authority really bungled this process.

1. It seems no one could have removed the ship by today because of the transformer needing to be removed.
2. They should have stated as a condition of the bid, failure to meet the removal date would come with a severe penalty.

Although for #2 to be effective they would have needed to address #1 first.

Is the Hydro disconnect still progressing tomorrow? I thought Sbarro arranged that, and if he no longer is willing to buy the ship, I don't see why he'd pay for the transformer removal.

The 6 o'clock CTV News just reported the Captain John's will be moved by next week. The original bidder has partnered with a demolition company to get it done. There is $500,000 worth of scrap value in the boat apparently.

The 6 o'clock CTV News just reported the Captain John's will be moved by next week. The original bidder has partnered with a demolition company to get it done. There is $500,000 worth of scrap value in the boat apparently.

Seriously hope this works out. Best if we don't have to go through all the bidding again or any other additional work to get rid of this barnacle on the waterfront.

Do we know the status of the Yonge Quay redevelopment? Is WaterfrontTO ready to start constructing the Yonge St. wavedeck and the land swapped property around Pier27?
I recall WaterfrontTO being in a hurry to get rid of the ship. Was it because they wanted to resolve the status of the quay before planning anything or are they ready to build?

Back