News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Canadians consume less meat than Americans?

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
There are a few sites with statistics but most of them show Canadians consuming less meat per capita than Americans by a noticeable difference.

I was actually surprised -- this isn't something that I really would have noticed just on personal observation.

Despite the perception (maybe by people outside North America) of greater portion sizes and popularity of fast food in the US, I don't think I (or the average person) can pinpoint any noticeable difference in what the average American and Canadian eats enough that the typical meal in one has noticeably more meat than the other (both countries have a diversity of cuisines obviously). I also don't really perceive either Americans or Canadians as more likely than the other to be vegetarian or vegan.

What do you think accounts for this statistic then?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...ries-eat-the-most-meat-each-year-infographic/

Last edited:
Meat is significantly more expensive in Canada, as is milk. Partially it has to do with how much is produced and how. Canada bans certain meat and dairy additives (i.e. BGH), therefore producing less and making it more expensive overall to farm.

Meat is significantly more expensive in Canada, as is milk. Partially it has to do with how much is produced and how. Canada bans certain meat and dairy additives (i.e. BGH), therefore producing less and making it more expensive overall to farm.
At least Canadian meat is healthier and Canadian milk does not cause children to reach puberty before the age of 10 in most cases.

Pink slime is very much banned in Canada.

At least Canadian meat is healthier and Canadian milk does not cause children to reach puberty before the age of 10 in most cases.
But then we wouldn't have the larger chested Asian female? Evolution in the works, giddy giddy OO My Asian pal just last week remarked his thanks for the North American diet's positive impact in this regard. Tongue in cheek of course...

Actually I think milk is about the same in Canada if you buy it in bags, these days it's $4 for a 4L bag of regular 2% milk. When I say the same, I mean in CAD in Canada as in USD in the US, even though the USD is currently worth more.

That's a pretty good deal then, considering we have fewer additives in ours for the same price.

Actually I think milk is about the same in Canada if you buy it in bags, these days it's $4 for a 4L bag of regular 2% milk. When I say the same, I mean in CAD in Canada as in USD in the US, even though the USD is currently worth more.

I usually pay $5.99 for 2L of milk... but I take the comfort that they are of better quality.

One of the benefits of the Dairy Board is that given that there is a maximum quota for milk production, there would not be much incentive to use BGH (and the fact that BGH is banned in Canada also helps).

It is good to pay a little more to have milk guaranteed not to have BGH.

Pink slime is very much banned in Canada.

That's a pretty good deal then, considering we have fewer additives in ours for the same price.

I heard with the TPP allowing more trade between the US and Canada this might not be the case anymore and US meat and milk will be sold in supermarkets alongside Canadian sources too.

Back