News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 352     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 365     0 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

Canada is a massive country. Do you really think it is economically feasible for amateur teams in a Canadian league that would probably be at a level if not worse than Blue Square North/South teams to be able to send their teams across the country to play games that nobody in Canada is going to care about?

There is interest in soccer in Canada but it is confined into but a few remaining viable markets. Namely, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Quebec City.

The people behind the MLS were dedicated to it from the onset and the MLS always had a high ceiling. There was reason to actually be excited and support an early MLS club.

Nobody will pay attention to the Canadian league because there will already be much better Canadian franchises in the much better MLS.

When MLS was created...it made any football fan eyes bleed...

It take times

We were talking about this at the match on Saturday. Somebody asked how DeRo could go from league MVP to bit player/has been in 2 short years.....I concluded it was a combo of age catching him and the annual 10 - 15% improvement (my guestimate) in quality of play.

Canada is a massive country. Do you really think it is economically feasible for amateur teams in a Canadian league that would probably be at a level if not worse than Blue Square North/South teams to be able to send their teams across the country to play games that nobody in Canada is going to care about?
There is interest in soccer in Canada but it is confined into but a few remaining viable markets. Namely, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Quebec City.

Yes, the new league is supposed to be back by CFL owners and TSN. There's advantages for both parties.

BC Lions-->Rumors for a team in Victoria to not compete with the Vancouver Whitecaps

Calgary Stampeders--> Could see the value of adding a team and double the number of events in their stadium+TV deals and merchandise

Edmonton FC--> Just like Montreal quit NASL to jump to MLS, they could jump to a Canadian League. No body cares about NASL in Canada and they might get better attendance in a Canadian league since people would care more.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers-->Could see the value of adding a team and double the number of events in their stadium+TV deals and merchandise

Hamilton Tiger Cats--> The owner already confirmed being interested+ Could see the value of adding a team and double the number of events in their stadium+TV deals and merchandise

Ottawa Fury-->Just like Montreal quit NASL to jump to MLS, they could jump to a Canadian League. No body cares about NASL in Canada and they might get better attendance in a Canadian league

Montreal Alouettes--> Confirmed they'd like a team in Quebec City so it won't compete against their CFL team and the Montreal Impact. (Quebec is so anti-Montreal, they'd follow their own team way before the Impact)

Besides, since the CSA announced their intention to create the league, NASL is trying to add Canadian franchise to not lose the market while MLS recently announced that they might soften their domestic player rules. There's money in Canada, it's just that the timing wasn't right in the past to proceed with such a project. Who can argue that Soccer is super popular in Canada since the last World cups?

We were talking about this at the match on Saturday. Somebody asked how DeRo could go from league MVP to bit player/has been in 2 short years.....I concluded it was a combo of age catching him and the annual 10 - 15% improvement (my guestimate) in quality of play.

MLS massively improved very recently. It started to get decent in my opinion 2 years ago...no jokes. Ask any footballer around the world and they'd tell you MLS was a joke even last year. MLS started to earn some respect since this year, honestly.

A Canadian League wouldn't take as much time as the MLS to get decent quality of play as long as the owners spend to get international coaches and 1 or 2 DP per team to teach Canadian Players how to play to the next level. There was no decent DP in MLS until Beckham showed up. A Canadian team wouldn't take all that time to do the same.

Besides, since the CSA announced their intention to create the league, NASL is trying to add Canadian franchise to not lose the market while MLS recently announced that they might soften their domestic player rules. There's money in Canada, it's just that the timing wasn't right in the past to proceed with such a project. Who can argue that Soccer is super popular in Canada since the last World cups?
The CSA idea/intention is to partner with the NASL and create a Canadian league/division within the NASL

MLS massively improved very recently. It started to get decent in my opinion 2 years ago...no jokes. Ask any footballer around the world and they'd tell you MLS was a joke even last year. MLS started to earn some respect since this year, honestly.

A Canadian League wouldn't take as much time as the MLS to get decent quality of play as long as the owners spend to get international coaches and 1 or 2 DP per team to teach Canadian Players how to play to the next level. There was no decent DP in MLS until Beckham showed up. A Canadian team wouldn't take all that time to do the same.

There were no DPs at all in MLS until Beckham showed up in 2007.....the rule was created as a way to get him into the league....it was often called "The Beckham Rule".

TFC joined the league in 2007 and I think it is unfair to say the quality of the league only improved in the last two. That may be true of Toronto but the league as a whole has been showing incremental improvement in the entire time I have been watching it.

I think Ottawa Fury is more likely to aim for a jump to MLS than to a Canadian Premier League, and would like to stay in NASL in the mean time to prove to Garber to expand there.

The CSA idea/intention is to partner with the NASL and create a Canadian league/division within the NASL

I prefer this option most, but do you mean NASL or USL?

MLS has partnership with the USL, not the NASL.

I think Ottawa Fury is more likely to aim for a jump to MLS than to a Canadian Premier League, and would like to stay in NASL in the mean time to prove to Garber to expand there.

I prefer this option most, but do you mean NASL or USL?

MLS has partnership with the USL, not the NASL.

NASL is in discussion with the CSA to form the Canadian division alongside, primarily, CFL cities/owners

Yes, the new league is supposed to be back by CFL owners and TSN. There's advantages for both parties.

BC Lions-->Rumors for a team in Victoria to not compete with the Vancouver Whitecaps

Calgary Stampeders--> Could see the value of adding a team and double the number of events in their stadium+TV deals and merchandise

Edmonton FC--> Just like Montreal quit NASL to jump to MLS, they could jump to a Canadian League. No body cares about NASL in Canada and they might get better attendance in a Canadian league since people would care more.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers-->Could see the value of adding a team and double the number of events in their stadium+TV deals and merchandise

Hamilton Tiger Cats--> The owner already confirmed being interested+ Could see the value of adding a team and double the number of events in their stadium+TV deals and merchandise

Ottawa Fury-->Just like Montreal quit NASL to jump to MLS, they could jump to a Canadian League. No body cares about NASL in Canada and they might get better attendance in a Canadian league

Montreal Alouettes--> Confirmed they'd like a team in Quebec City so it won't compete against their CFL team and the Montreal Impact. (Quebec is so anti-Montreal, they'd follow their own team way before the Impact)

Great post, and I concur fully, as a longtime soccer fan both in Europe and here its pretty obvious that Canada has a bright future in this sport and a Canadian 1st division will certainly succeed.

NASL is in discussion with the CSA to form the Canadian division alongside, primarily, CFL cities/owners

What I've heard is that it would be like MLB with the National and American League. So it would be something like:

NASL

NASL Cup "Soccer Bowl" *Facepalm*
Playoffs between both leagues

American League

American Cup (Best regular season team)

-Eligible to U.S Open Cup for a chance to go to CONCACAF Champions League

Atlanta Silverbacks
Carolina RailHawks
Indy Eleven
Minnesota United
New York Cosmos
San Antonio Scorpions
Tampa Bay Rowdies
Jacksonville Armada (2015)
Oklahoma City FC (2015)
Virginia Cavalry (2016)

Canadian League (2016)

Canadian cup (Best regular season team)

-Eligible to the Canadian Championship Cup for a chance to go to CONCACAF Champions League

FC Edmonton
Ottawa Fury
Victoria (Would be owned by BC Lions)
Calgary (most likely owned by Calgary Stampeders)
Regina (most likely owned by Saskatchewan Roughriders)
Winnipeg (most likely owned by Winnipeg Blue Bombers)
Hamilton (Would be owned by Hamilton Tiger Cats)
Quebec City (Would be owned by Montreal Alouettes)

Potential markets
Kitchener-Waterloo region, On (Maybe the Argonauts could own them)
Halifax, NS

Last edited:
^wonder why the owner of the Lions would take a team and put it in a city near where his CFL team is but the owner of the Argonauts would not do the same thing?

Yeah I think waterloo would be an excellent location for a NASL team.

^wonder why the owner of the Lions would take a team and put it in a city near where his CFL team is but the owner of the Argonauts would not do the same thing?

I really hope Toronto Argonauts participates too. The Waterloo Region does make sense to me

Back