News   Mar 28, 2024
 150     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 294     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 660     0 

Canadian National Exhibition

Inevitable but the CNE has been officially cancelled. A notice has been sent out to vendors.

Unfortunate but necessary. Even if they did let it open this year it would have been an abysmal failure and likely losing ALOT of money. The CNE is a health hazard at the best of times and the worst of times it is a mass of people shoulder to shoulder. That being said, I can see lots of people being terrified to go given the circumstances.

Best to cancel it and lose minimal dollars than to open it with major public health measures in place and lose a boat load of money.

It is a shame but a necessary evil to ensure the health and safety of the public at large.

Unfortunate but necessary. Even if they did let it open this year it would have been an abysmal failure and likely losing ALOT of money. The CNE is a health hazard at the best of times and the worst of times it is a mass of people shoulder to shoulder. That being said, I can see lots of people being terrified to go given the circumstances.

Best to cancel it and lose minimal dollars than to open it with major public health measures in place and lose a boat load of money.

It is a shame but a necessary evil to ensure the health and safety of the public at large.

Yeah there was just too many risky factors to have it take place this year. The Food Building and vendors scattered throughout the grounds would have been incredibly difficult to manage. Not to mention operating it at a level that adheres to social distancing. While the rides and carnival games wouldn't have worked well, considering how almost everything involves direct contact and gets frequently shared or reused.

Yeah there was just too many risky factors to have it take place this year. The Food Building and vendors scattered throughout the grounds would have been incredibly difficult to manage. Not to mention operating it at a level that adheres to social distancing. While the rides and carnival games wouldn't have worked well, considering how almost everything involves direct contact and gets frequently shared or reused.

That is exactly it. You could not make money while adhering to regulations.

...and you cannot find an empty table to eat and put bags and belongings on comfortably and be out of range of accidentally knocking someone else's food down.

That's just it. It would be nice to have it open but not at the expense of everyone's health.

People will still congregate where the events/buildings/attractions are. I doubt many people will hang out in a parking lot just because it is free space. I haven't been in many years but I think the crush load on the TTC/GO, especially after an event, would be a concern.

...But without gate income, who pays the expenses?.. Teams rely heavily on sponsors and I'll bet there those revenues are either down or 'being discussed' because fewer people are seeing the brands.
Most of the IndyCar people would be entering Canada from the US and presumably would have to be quarantined for two weeks. The preceding race on their schedule (Sat July 4 in Indianapolis) is six days before they're still allegedly going to start practice in Toronto, followed by a race in Iowa five days (Fri Jul 17) after the one in Toronto. The whole situation of them still pretending the race will happen, weeks after it's become apparent it won't, is becoming highly questionable. I've read that the same race promoter (Green Savoree) was not going to refund anyone's ticket money when the St. Petersburg Florida race was cancelled in March, though it has now supposedly been rescheduled for October.

Edit (15 May): They've finally acknowledged it won't happen on the scheduled date in July, yet claim they are continuing "to explore alternate date options for 2020", which would seem unlikely and probably just delaying having to give back money to the sponsors and ticket buyers.

Last edited:
On a good day in the food building it is crammed shoulder to shoulder.
In the early 1990s I worked at Ontario Place and would go the to food building for lunch. Even then it was jammed, and now is just way too crowded. I hate the rush to find a table.

While we'll need the economic growth such things bring us, I'm looking forward to a one-time quiet summer in Toronto. No festivals, no gridlock inducing marathons, no CNE, no sports events, no concerts, etc. I'll be chilling on the front porch with my wine, listening to the birds.

While we'll need the economic growth such things bring us, I'm looking forward to a one-time quiet summer in Toronto. No festivals, no gridlock inducing marathons, no CNE, no sports events, no concerts, etc. I'll be chilling on the front porch with my wine, listening to the birds.

*nods approvingly*

That would mean a lot of people out of work.

Back