News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 871     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Canadian National Exhibition

Near the end of this (about 10:30) mayor Tory mentioned the possibility of the Indy race happening without spectators as a "television spectacle".
https://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=1949304
I don't know if he just pulled the idea out of the air, but I have trouble imagining anyone involved seriously suggested it.
Most significantly, "there is no television money" for IndyCar. And if it was going to happen, it would be at an existing permanent racing facility, not a temporary one like here in Toronto that would have to be built and then disassembled. They're not going to spend the money to put it together and then get nothing in return in the form of revenue to pay for it.

Near the end of this (about 10:30) mayor Tory mentioned the possibility of the Indy race happening without spectators as a "television spectacle".
https://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=1949304
I don't know if he just pulled the idea out of the air, but I have trouble imagining anyone involved seriously suggested it.
Most significantly, "there is no television money" for IndyCar. And if it was going to happen, it would be at an existing permanent racing facility, not a temporary one like here in Toronto that would have to be built and then disassembled. They're not going to spend the money to put it together and then get nothing in return in the form of revenue to pay for it.
There's the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park near Pontypool.

Last edited:
There's the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park near Pontypool.

True, and they have run Indy races in the distant past. But without gate income, who pays the expenses? It's a road course so coverage is more complicated that an oval. As mentioned, I doubt the broadcast revenue outside of the key Indianapolis and Daytona races (let alone north of the border) would carry it. Teams rely heavily on sponsors and I'll bet there those revenues are either down or 'being discussed' because fewer people are seeing the brands.

Moving into the topic of summer festivities, the City of Toronto has cancelled all Canada Day events.

This includes: Ashbridge’s Bay, Centennial Park, Milliken Park, Stan Wadlow Park, Weston Lions Park, Mel Lastman Square, East York (annual parade) and Scarborough (annual party).

FWIW, it looks there's been something there on their website for the last 10 days.
https://theex.com/covid-19-message
There's application forms for indoor and outdoor vendors and exhibitors, one Bandshell concert (Bruce Cockburn) and some air show performers listed, but I would assume it's all with knowing the CNE might not happen in 2020.

I said it before, as much as the CNE is a health hazard in a good year (think Cronut) it is a marquee event for Toronto. I can see them having timed access tickets (only so many people can enter at a certain time) before they would cancel it altogther.

The problem is that canceling the CNE would mean a HUGE economic blow to the City of Toronto and given the already problematic situation I cannot see that happening. They could also turn it into a celebration, a way for people to relax and unwind after months of social distancing.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't but I do think that the CNE is too big and too important to cancel. It is one of those things that the province may make exemptions for. .

John Tory says CNE likely not happening this year

Mayor John Tory said the fate of this year's Canadian National Exhibition is under "very active discussions."

In an interview with CP24 on Tuesday morning, the mayor was asked about the status of the annual fair, which takes place at the end of August at Exhibition Place. Will it happen? Tory said he "wouldn’t bet on it."

“We've been in discussions as to the consequences of cancelling the fair because it isn't just cancelling it and saying it won't happen," Tory told the news network. "It sort of finances itself on the basis of last year's success.

“I think the notion that we are going to go back to big crowd scenes like that... seems unlikely," he added. "But I guess we haven't made that judgment yet.”

Toronto has cancelled all city-run events and city-permitted events through June 30. Although city hall has not given official word on whether events scheduled later in the summer will go ahead, a number of high-profile festivals have cancelled, including Caribbean Carnival, Fringe Festival, Canada Day and all outdoor events at Harbourfront Centre.

In a statement, Harbourfront Centre said "live outdoor events will not be able to take place as planned" based on the Ontario government’s roadmap for safely reopening the province from lockdown measures.

Last edited:
At this point, it's becoming cliched to hear of all these cancellations on the news. We get it, every mainstay event and festival is cancelled. If you can remember it from last year, it's cancelled.

At this point, it's becoming cliched to hear of all these cancellations on the news. We get it, every mainstay event and festival is cancelled. If you can remember it from last year, it's cancelled.

What if I barely remember it because it ended with a trip to some dark place from which I only returned two days later?

Can I then pretend it's on this year? I've got some festivals to attend, even if only in my own mind.

There is still one in September that is holding out hope and so am I. Never say die.

I think that effectively 2020 has been cancelled and that attractions and events are no longer happening :rolleyes: better luck next year !

I wouldn't count on any of the dozens of street festivals happening this year that I loved ranting about in the other thread. Probably no Christmas Market in the Distillery either. I love the idea of it, but it got way too packed to be enjoyable many years ago. No loss.

Probably no Christmas Market in the Distillery either. I love the idea of it, but it got way too packed to be enjoyable many years ago. No loss.

This is true. When I first went there the year it opened it was not that busy but the last few years if you went at night or on a weekend it was shoulder to shoulder crowds.

Back