News   Jun 20, 2024
 416     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 610     0 

Canadian media & the CRTC

Competition

Rules that protect cable channels from competing with each other are being relaxed. News and sports will now be open to competition, meaning any new broadcaster that wants to start a sports network can apply for a licence. Other genres could be opened up in future based on whether they are financially viable and can withstand new competition.

I like this part.... hope they go the rest of the way and allow channels to compete and fail if necessary. I am pretty much a news junkie so any new news station is a plus. Sports - well - not that much.... stopped paying attention to sports a long time ago - I think over the last 3 years, I might have caught - several world cup (soccer/football) games, a badminton tournament (while I was in Asia), maybe a few hours of the olympics, and maybe 2 games of Toronto FC.... that's about it.

Does that mean they'll transmit the noon newscasts from CHCH like CH Morning Live for the monring newscart for Global?

Does that mean they'll transmit the noon newscasts from CHCH like CH Morning Live for the monring newscart for Global?
Sounds like they will just be doing this for the morning newscast. Crazy that an Ontario-wide channel serving a market of almost 12 million will be getting a Hamilton-based newscast to wake-up to.

It's also pretty sad that the News at Noon is leaving Global's schedule. Not that I've watched it in years, but it really was one of Global's signature shows back in the day and pretty much the only noon newscast in town until the late 1980s.

I wish Newsworld went OTA.
So do I and with digitalization it could conceivably happen one day. The problem is that it gets much of its revenue (like all cable/non-OTA channels) from subscription fees so it would need to figure out a new business model or receive public funding like some of CBC's other services.

can west cant

I believe it was the 132 million dollar investment which really was 250 million in the end of the purchase of Alliance Atlantis by Can West in 2006 that has brought down the organization. I'm surprised the crtc let this happen.

Some of the back story on CanWest's woes (and an opinion of why) are here.

E! Channel or CHCH licence is up for renewal this April from the CRTC, CanWest will request less local content for the channel. There's speculation Torstar might be interested to take over the channel (Torstar owns the Hamilton Spectator). Torstar orginally wanted Toronto One but (Craig Media got the licence).

The CRTC's bad decision with regard to Toronto One set a lot of this in motion. Torstar owning CHCH would be a much better improvement for Hamiltonions than the current CanWest branded "E-Channel." Still, I think CanWest will fight hard to keep their second network.

There's speculation Torstar might be interested to take over the channel (Torstar owns the Hamilton Spectator).

Looks like this might happen now that CanWest has put all the E! stations on the selling block.

CHCH likely to survive: analyst
More than just a small player

February 07, 2009
Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/509117

While Hamilton may consider CHCH as its own TV station, it is not just a little player, says the spokesperson of a Canadian media watchdog group.

"It's not the smallest and weakest TV station in Canada," said Ian Morrison of Friends of Canadian Broadcasting. "Hamilton has the extra advantage of having about seven million people in its line of sight."

In addition, he said, CHCH is broadcast through cable and satellite stations throughout the province, bolstering its value.

He spoke following the announcement this week by parent company Canwest Global that it would explore the idea of selling CHCH, and four sister stations.

Canwest made the announcement as bankers moved to limit the company's borrowing power due to its massive $3.6-billion debt.

Shares in Canwest Global Communications went up eight cents yesterday to 50 cents on the news. Analysts say it's unlikely the company will find a buyer in the current recession and a money-saving closure is more likely.

But Morrison suggested there are several plausible outcomes for the station aside from closure:

* Astral Media, a major media player in Quebec with some presence in the rest of the country, may jump at the chance to pick up an English TV network.

* Torstar Corporation, which owns The Hamilton Spectator and The Toronto Star, made a bid for a licence to open television stations in southern Ontario in 2002 but was denied by the CRTC. This week, it announced its Transit Television Network in the United States was filing for bankruptcy. Morrison said there's no comparison between the transit network and CHCH. "The Spectator and a television station under one roof has some synergies."

* Corus Entertainment, based in Calgary, is a specialty TV and radio company that may seize an opportunity to expand.

* Rogers Media branched into TV last year with its purchase of CHUM and may have an appetite for more.

* CTV would likely be very interested, said Morrison, but it would also be very unlikely to be approved by the CRTC, given the conglomeration in the industry.

Mario Frankovich, president and CEO of Burgeonvest Securities, said the station has been under the eye of Bay Street investors for the last few weeks while Canwest's troubles were brewing. "It's hard to say what will happen ... it has value. (Closing the station) would be like putting a torch to money. A licence has value."

The challenge for the station is that its highest expense is its most valuable asset: local coverage.

Morrison said it's too early to throw in the towel on CH.

"I think a lot of people are kicking the tires, checking out profitability, what the obligations are under regulations. It's a fire sale ... but it's a very complicated situation."

Back