News   Jul 03, 2024
 130     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 878     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.4K     0 

Canadian Highway Fantasy Thread

Bypass Fantasy For North Bay and Timmins

Since getting through Timmins and North Bay is a time consuming and annoying process what if there’s a bypass for both. For North Bay it connects Northern Highway 11 to Highway 17 West and East of it. For Timmins and Porcupine it passes by it avoiding the hell that is downtown Timmins.View attachment 575399View attachment 575400
As someone from North Bay, all I have to say is ... Yikes! You would be destroying a lot of prime recreational areas including the Mattawa River Provincial Park.

It seems drawing random lines on maps is fun for some. In North Bay's case, the proposed bypass seems to ignore a Hwy 11 south connection, so another random line is required.

There is provision for an improved North Bay bypass (I won't call it a 'plan') by locking up zoning in a corridor running behind Northgate Mall. I've seen a map from the MTO on here before that someone posted but for the life of me I have been unable to find since.

It seems drawing random lines on maps is fun for some. In North Bay's case, the proposed bypass seems to ignore a Hwy 11 south connection, so another random line is required.

There is provision for an improved North Bay bypass (I won't call it a 'plan') by locking up zoning in a corridor running behind Northgate Mall. I've seen a map from the MTO on here before that someone posted but for the life of me I have been unable to find since.
That is called route 6.

Bypass Fantasy For North Bay and Timmins

Since getting through Timmins and North Bay is a time consuming and annoying process what if there’s a bypass for both. For North Bay it connects Northern Highway 11 to Highway 17 West and East of it. For Timmins and Porcupine it passes by it avoiding the hell that is downtown Timmins.View attachment 575399View attachment 575400
I would be impressed if that bypass of North Bay is somehow faster. I count at least 25 sharp turns there, and the distance looks long. As far as I'm concerned, 11/17 through NB is eventually slated to become a freeway. As it stands currently, the configuration isn't even that bad IMO.

Back when paper maps were a thing, agreed. Now a days, it makes no different.
I use Trans Canada and it covers all the different route numbers. It could be call Canada 1

When we did parts of the east coast we haven't been to a few years ago, I just looked for a sign with Trans Canada on the route sign, Can say we have driven from coast to coast using Trans Canada route.

I use Trans Canada and it covers all the different route numbers. It could be call Canada 1

When we did parts of the east coast we haven't been to a few years ago, I just looked for a sign with Trans Canada on the route sign, Can say we have driven from coast to coast using Trans Canada route.
I live where 2 Trans Canada routes intersect. Other than a shield, it has no bearing on any of the discussions around those highways.

Both Toronto - -the largest city in Canada and Halifax - the largest city in the Maritimes are bypassed by it. To redo all of the signs and numbering would be rather pointless these days.

I live where 2 Trans Canada routes intersect. Other than a shield, it has no bearing on any of the discussions around those highways.

Both Toronto - -the largest city in Canada and Halifax - the largest city in the Maritimes are bypassed by it. To redo all of the signs and numbering would be rather pointless these days.
Number changes would be more-so for the benefit of travelers along the highway than the residents who already live there. I recall reading about when road travel by car was in its infancy, there was resistance from towns putting up signage indicating the town name, the attitude being that they already know what town they're in...

Rerouting the TCH through Toronto via Hwys 400 & 401, even if it's using the current Ontario standard of a KH numbered shield + blank TCH shield, seems like an obvious improvement to it following Hwys 12 & 7 through Orillia and Peterborough. As for other shield and numbering changes, I agree in a vacuum the cost-benefit probably doesn't work out, other than for those who prefer consistency; but this is a "highway fantasy" thread. :) However, if it was incentivized with funding for improvements, then maybe there might a case. For example, if there was a hypothetical agreement where the province adopts a new number and shield, but the feds agree to fund the highway being a four lane, divided highway (or other needed capital improvements) within x number of years, would they go for it?

Number changes would be more-so for the benefit of travelers along the highway than the residents who already live there. I recall reading about when road travel by car was in its infancy, there was resistance from towns putting up signage indicating the town name, the attitude being that they already know what town they're in...

Rerouting the TCH through Toronto via Hwys 400 & 401, even if it's using the current Ontario standard of a KH numbered shield + blank TCH shield, seems like an obvious improvement to it following Hwys 12 & 7 through Orillia and Peterborough. As for other shield and numbering changes, I agree in a vacuum the cost-benefit probably doesn't work out, other than for those who prefer consistency; but this is a "highway fantasy" thread. :) However, if it was incentivized with funding for improvements, then maybe there might a case. For example, if there was a hypothetical agreement where the province adopts a new number and shield, but the feds agree to fund the highway being a four lane, divided highway (or other needed capital improvements) within x number of years, would they go for it?

I understand this is a fantasy thread.I am just trying to see the point. Fifty years ago out west, and in the Maritimes, the single number TCH made sense to help cross country travel. Back when we traveled by paper maps, knowing that if you stay on this highway the whole way, you get where you need to go was important. Now with GPS navigation, you just follow what the instructions tell you.

Now, if you did it as an incentive to fund divided highways through BC and ON to create an interstate like system, I could agree with. But then you run into the fact that all ,and I do mean ALL cross country traffic must pass through a single choke point that is the Nipgon bridge and that area. Maybe if we also pushed for a second route between ON and MB to ensure that one spot does not shut down traffic, it would also be worth a re organization. If that were done, I would suggest the TCH routes all be single digits.

Here would be my E-W numbering in that case:

TCH 1 - existing TCH 1 (BC highway 5 4 lanes), ON 17, ON 417, A 40, QC 130, QC 300 NL 500 NL 510, NL 430, TCH 1to St John's

TCH 2 - ON 401, A 20, A 30 (not included sections between A30) A 85, NB 2,, NS 10, NS 102

TCH 3 - Yellowhead highway, New routing through existing MB roads and highways over the north of Winnipeg, ON new highway through Sioux Lookout, over the top of Lake Npigon, ON 11, ON 400

TCH 4 - NB 16, PEI 1

TCH 5 - Rest of NS 104, NS 105, NL TCH 1

TCH 6 - NT 3, NT 3, AB 35, AB 2

TCH 7 - YT 1, BC 97

In general, none are concurrent with any other TCH. They go to all major cities and all capitals that are connected by road to the rest of Canada.

I understand this is a fantasy thread.I am just trying to see the point. Fifty years ago out west, and in the Maritimes, the single number TCH made sense to help cross country travel. Back when we traveled by paper maps, knowing that if you stay on this highway the whole way, you get where you need to go was important. Now with GPS navigation, you just follow what the instructions tell you.

Now, if you did it as an incentive to fund divided highways through BC and ON to create an interstate like system, I could agree with. But then you run into the fact that all ,and I do mean ALL cross country traffic must pass through a single choke point that is the Nipgon bridge and that area. Maybe if we also pushed for a second route between ON and MB to ensure that one spot does not shut down traffic, it would also be worth a re organization. If that were done, I would suggest the TCH routes all be single digits.

Here would be my E-W numbering in that case:

TCH 1 - existing TCH 1 (BC highway 5 4 lanes), ON 17, ON 417, A 40, QC 130, QC 300 NL 500 NL 510, NL 430, TCH 1to St John's

TCH 2 - ON 401, A 20, A 30 (not included sections between A30) A 85, NB 2,, NS 10, NS 102

TCH 3 - Yellowhead highway, New routing through existing MB roads and highways over the north of Winnipeg, ON new highway through Sioux Lookout, over the top of Lake Npigon, ON 11, ON 400

TCH 4 - NB 16, PEI 1

TCH 5 - Rest of NS 104, NS 105, NL TCH 1

TCH 6 - NT 3, NT 3, AB 35, AB 2

TCH 7 - YT 1, BC 97

In general, none are concurrent with any other TCH. They go to all major cities and all capitals that are connected by road to the rest of Canada.
I like the concept, but have couple tweaks to the routes:

TCH 1 - instead of following the Trans-Labrador Hwy, maybe it could continue along QC 138 from Quebec City along current and missing sections to Blanc-Sablon and follow either a ferry or fixed link to Newfoundland.

TCH 6 & 7 - the main connection between Edmonton and NWT/Yukon is AB 43 rather than AB 2. A TCH corridor could follow AB 4/3/2/16/43, BC 2/97, & YK 1, linking the Lower 48 with Alaska. The second corridor could follow AB 49/2/35 from AB 43 at Valleyview to the NWT border (your TCH 6). The could be an all-BC route between Dawson Creek and the Lower Mainland, but that might not be necessary.

I like the concept, but have couple tweaks to the routes:

TCH 1 - instead of following the Trans-Labrador Hwy, maybe it could continue along QC 138 from Quebec City along current and missing sections to Blanc-Sablon and follow either a ferry or fixed link to Newfoundland.

The point of following the Trans Labrador highway is because it goes to many of the towns in Labrador.

TCH 6 & 7 - the main connection between Edmonton and NWT/Yukon is AB 43 rather than AB 2. A TCH corridor could follow AB 4/3/2/16/43, BC 2/97, & YK 1, linking the Lower 48 with Alaska. The second corridor could follow AB 49/2/35 from AB 43 at Valleyview to the NWT border (your TCH 6). The could be an all-BC route between Dawson Creek and the Lower Mainland, but that might not be necessary.
Part of the thought would be to keep the 2 territory capitals separate, but straight down.

Back