610     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 295     0 

Canada Post strike - would you care?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If Canada Post does go out on strike, would you care?

Myself, the only mail I receive today are my utility, property tax and credit card bills - all of which I could obtain balances for on-line. I also receive the occasional motorcycle part by mail, but UPS can do that.

Is a strike at CP in the 21st Century akin to a strike at the Carbon Paper or Typewriter factories?

We'd miss delivery of The Economist and The New Yorker, but all of our bills are paid on line. They can stay on strike indefinitely as far as my family is concerned. I'd be disappointed if Canada Post caved in to the union's demands, and I'd be happy if the federal government simply shut down CP entirely and let the private sector deliver the mail. For one thing, we wouldn't get an avalanche of subsidized junk any more.

I pretty much do everything online. I can't imagine what I'd be doing without in the event of a full-out strike (besides the junk mail).

I'd forgotten that CP is responsible for all that wasted paper and junk mail we receive each week. Getting rid of that would be an excellent benefit of a strike.

CP profits every from sales and contracts from all that junk mail. What is a better idea? start taking the money from the tax payers?? No one seems to use Canada post but why do we have 50 thousand postal workers?

No one seems to use Canada post but why do we have 50 thousand postal workers?

Why indeed.

The lack of interest (read replies) to this thread speaks volumes, like no one cares, which answers the title query quite negatively.

CP profits every from sales and contracts from all that junk mail. What is a better idea? start taking the money from the tax payers?? No one seems to use Canada post but why do we have 50 thousand postal workers?
Obviously eliminate the ad mail, and reduce the workforce to suit the demand.

I don't want CP to shut down, I'm a nostalgic 40 year old who remembers getting parcels from the UK, and sending real letters to love ones. But the organization has to adapt to the new times.

I care (this week). I've got 130.00 worth of blu ray's that I've been tracking & they arrived in Mississauga from amazon.com on June 2nd but no delivery yet. I chose the cheapest shipping method (post) when I pre-ordered these discs a few weeks ago. I hope the strike moves to anywhere but Toronto on Monday as that's when I should receive my discs. Everything else I do electronically, I use perhaps 2 or 3 stamps a year for random mailings plus Christmas cards.

A lot of online retailers have been offering free or really inexpensive shipping using CP lately, so you're right dt, that is one type of mail I do care about! Even living in the city, I do some online shopping because with free shipping it's actually cheaper than going out to shop.

We'd miss delivery of The Economist and The New Yorker, but all of our bills are paid on line. They can stay on strike indefinitely as far as my family is concerned. I'd be disappointed if Canada Post caved in to the union's demands, and I'd be happy if the federal government simply shut down CP entirely and let the private sector deliver the mail. For one thing, we wouldn't get an avalanche of subsidized junk any more.

Are you going to force the private sector to service rural communities?

Yeah we need to be more like the Americans. You don't know anything about Canada Post. This is a corporation that makes $100's of millions of dollars per year and pays millions of dollars in dividends to the federal government. CP is a government cash cow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont really mind if I dont get my bills in the mail since I can view them online.
Rogers actually charge you if you want to see your call history! =/
Im definitely not going to miss the junk mail lol

No, I only check the mailbox when my wife reminds me and its rarely important. Bad time for the posties to let people know how important they are, though I will admit they seem less militant than they were in the 80s.

A lot of online retailers have been offering free or really inexpensive shipping using CP lately, so you're right dt, that is one type of mail I do care about! Even living in the city, I do some online shopping because with free shipping it's actually cheaper than going out to shop.
Same goes for international shipments. If you use cheap US Postal Service shipping for example, the handling fee for Canada Post is capped at $8, even if it's an item costing many hundreds of dollars. And sometimes the handling fee is zero. There is no separate brokerage fee.

If you use UPS's cheap ground shipping, the brokerage fee might be something stupidly high like $50. It's highway robbery.

Plus, for UPS if you're not home, you have to drive to the middle of nowhere to get to their depot, which is usually grungy and filled with impatient customers and uncaring UPS workers. For Canada Post, usually the item is just dropped off at the local post office, with is often the corner drug store. Much, much more convenient.

I also ship packages to friends and colleagues using Canada Post. It's just easier, and cheaper than going with someone like FedEx or UPS, even if it might take a day or two longer.

Back