News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 608     1 

Canada and the World

The US is accusing Canada of facilitating the import of goods made with forced labour from China:

And our universities have been facilitating covert collection of militarily significant scientific and technical research by Chinese researchers posing as innocent grad students:

This is all the result of this country routinely ignoring national security and thinking it's only a concern for the US. Wonder how long before serious economic consequences start being imposed by allies because they see us as wholly unserious.

Last edited:
Indeed. Is sourcing from India better than China?

Not great environmentally. Substantially better on human rights (though not to Western standards). Slightly better geopolitically. And the last part is probably the most relevant to Western governments. I wouldn't count them in friendshoring for critical manufacturing. But they are probably good for Walmart and Dollar Store crap.

I hear this government is super serious about foreign policy. That's why the CDS has to publicly complain about not knowing who he is going to hand over to.

Especially during a time of increasing geopolitical tension - just what signal are we sending out? It is inexcusable - the government should quit if it is so uninterested in governing - I for one will relish the opportunity to send them packing (though not forgetting the fact that the alternatives might not be a huge improvement either).

AoD

Especially during a time of increasing geopolitical tension - just what signal are we sending out? It is inexcusable - the government should quit if it is so uninterested in governing - I for one will relish the opportunity to send them packing (though not forgetting the fact that the alternatives might not be a huge improvement either).

AoD

And all this is happening while we're planning to evacuate 20 000 Canadians from Lebanon. You'd think that alone would be reason enough to make sure the transition is smooth.

And all this is happening while we're planning to evacuate 20 000 Canadians from Lebanon. You'd think that alone would be reason enough to make sure the transition is smooth.
It's time to stop this nonsense. It's Canadian resident citizens on vacation or overseas on business I care about, not Canadians of convenience living permanently elsewhere under another citizenship, many of whom have never lived in Canada. I wonder how many of those we would be evacuating from Lebanon are the same people we evacuated last time?

Will Poilievre get us to over 2% GDP spend on defence? It's easy to complain from the sidelines.

Most definitely not. He was part of a government that managed to be stingier than the Liberals and somehow still got to portray themselves as pro-military.

I think the only question this time is how much our politicians fear economic consequences for their inaction on defence. Especially with Trump 2.0 looking more likely by the minute and Europe starting to also lose their patience. This isn't an environment that Canadian politicians are familiar with.

Our new "destroyers" will be named after rivers.

It would have been better to name one the Don because they are full of s***

Eh?

They are highly capable vessels. I just don't agree with giving them the Destroyer title when the UK and Australia are calling them Frigates.

Fait point.

Truthfully, we need something with more bite than what is on order. I would have preferred a dreadnought vs a pool toy.

Fait point.

Truthfully, we need something with more bite than what is on order. I would have preferred a dreadnought vs a pool toy.

You don't seem to have a clue about the topic. There's no such thing as dreadnoughts anymore. And calling an 8000t vessel (larger than almost everything the RCN has ever operated) a "pool toy" is extremely ignorant. The Brits and the Australians are buying the same vessels too. Are they also buying "pool toys"?

Back