News   Apr 24, 2024
 949     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 619     0 

Cabbagetown

I missed this from two weeks ago, but the G&M explained what happened.
She called 911 after running over the guy, but didn't relay any information implying she was responsible. But then she slipped up and told a slightly different stories about what happened. A surveilance camera in the area proved her vehicle did drive up the lane at the time the guy was run over. The story has a cameo from the famous author Michael Ondaatje. He was the one who called 911.to report the guy was badly injured.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-mystery-on-nuthatch-lane/

Starbucks on Parliament is closing due to refusal to accept rent increase.

Rumour has it that Rexall is leaving too.

Starbucks on Parliament is closing due to refusal to accept rent increase.

It's a bit more complicated than that. The issue was not just rent increase. Apparently Starbucks and the Landlord had a very poor relationship. He was quite absentee and didn't want to fix basic things they needed to operate smoothly as a business. Electrical and water issues were never fixed and Starbucks would pay out of pocket to have building issues repaired at their own cost. Landlord wouldn't return calls or follow up at all. Then finally when it was time to renew lease, the Landlord was suddenly back and very eager to renew it but wanted much more money and only wanted to do a 5-year lease where it's Starbucks corporate policy to sign 10-year leases.

A lot of poeple will be like, 'F*ck Starbucks, there's Jet Fuel across the street.' but we loved that Starbucks and the people who worked there. It's sad they're gone and it's pathetic that the Landlord couldn't keep a good blue-chip business like that.

I've heard that Tim Horton's and Rexal (two other big corporate) clients are next to go. Which would really hurt the area. It's awful. Apparently business property taxes have risen and landlords are passing it right on to tenants.

A lot of poeple will be like, 'F*ck Starbucks, there's Jet Fuel across the street.' but we loved that Starbucks and the people who worked there. It's sad they're gone and it's pathetic that the Landlord couldn't keep a good blue-chip business like that.
In my 21 years in Cabbagetown I have never once been interested in going to Jet Fuel. Cranberries has a great coffee, though it’s a restaurant, not a cafe.

Maybe Starbucks can takeover the otherwise derelict corner space from Handy Force. We’ll probably see Starbucks in/near Regent Park as it redevelops.

As for Rexall and Timmies, the former certainly always seemed dead compared to Shoppers. Timmies was crowded, but seemed to attract a poorer loitering crowd, neither are good for business viability. If Timmies leaves I’d like to see Starbucks take over its space.

I've heard that Tim Horton's and Rexal (two other big corporate) clients are next to go. Which would really hurt the area. It's awful. Apparently business property taxes have risen and landlords are passing it right on to tenants.
These landlords are nuts. You’re not going to find another marquis tenant to fill Starbucks’ location and the dereliction of the space will drive down the rental value of the units above the former Starbucks. As for Tim Hortons, they could get by with a smaller Cabbagetown location.

The challenge in Toronto is that you don’t have to pay full property tax on vacant commercial space. So, it’s sometimes better to leave the property vacant. I’m sure that’s the issue with the property north of the HOP.

These landlords are nuts. You’re not going to find another marquis tenant to fill Starbucks’ location and the dereliction of the space will drive down the rental value of the units above the former Starbucks. As for Tim Hortons, they could get by with a smaller Cabbagetown location.

The challenge in Toronto is that you don’t have to pay full property tax on vacant commercial space. So, it’s sometimes better to leave the property vacant. I’m sure that’s the issue with the property north of the HOP.

The tax exemption ended last year: https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay...s-and-relief-programs/vacancy-rebate-program/

"The Vacant Commercial & Industrial Unit Tax Rebate Program ended July 1, 2018."

Because Admirals "don't do jets?'
Finally visited Jet Fuel today. Coffee was very good, though oddly served in tall handleless tumblers instead of ceramic cups. They didn’t take debit but they let me enjoy my coffee and then return to pay later. Music wasn’t too loud and the atmosphere was nice. I’ll be back.

It's been years since I lived in Cabbagetown now (I think about eleven), but I passed through last weekend on the old 65 bus down to where I live now in Corktown. I couldn't believe the state that property is still in. The cheap junky signs out front for whatever businesses moved in there are gross. What a shame that place has been let go like that. I don't get how, even before with that vacant property rebate, you couldn't get great premium commercial tenants in there. I know competition for tenants is rough, but how does that area around Parliament and Carlton seemingly never catch a break?

I'm told that the building occupied by Red Cranberries, 601 Parliament St. is going to be demolished and something new built. Does anyone have more info? Is the entire block going? What about the Filipino Centre to the south?

If there's one project I'd love to see on Parliament is the removal of the Esso Station. It cuts the neighbourhood in two and makes it dangerous for pedestrians. With the coming changes to car ownership and electric cars I hope the ROI of that station collapses, and something is built there.

Back