News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 309     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 858     0 

Cabbagetown

I agree that all dog owners should comply with leash laws. I'm familiar with the by-law. What is unclear is your leap in logic that it must be dog owners who are complaining about the blue canopy. Honestly. I've seen questionable and inappropriate behaviour among a whole range of park users (including parents with children). But I don't go around blaming them, without any evidence whatsoever, over a silly brouhaha over a splash pad. Failure to comply with a by-law does not necessarily make someone anti-social (or the head of some secret conspiracy to scuttle plans for park revitalization).

Last edited:
On a different topic: something that I have always found off-putting on Parliament Street is how Peter's Cajun has one of those heave corrugated steel roller shutters they put down to cover the storefront every night. I believe there is one store around the corner on Gerrard that does it too, but I can't think of anywhere else in all of downtown Toronto I have seen it (maybe in Chinatown?). Those metal covers just scream "crime-ridden neighbourhood," like the owners expect their store will be smashed and robbed on any night. But it's a pizza place. Why do they need that? I'm sure they keep some cash on-site, but so does every other business in the neighbourhood, and they don't get their windows smashed and robbed.

I remember on a visit to Buenos Aires many years ago I discovered that all the streets lined with beautiful historic buildings housing cafes and boutiques did the same thing after about 7 pm. It was eerie, and a bit scary, walking down the same streets which hours earlier were bustling with life, but were now literally shuttered and totally desolate. It was like walking through a self-storage business, or a shipping container yard at 3am. Buenos Aires has a history of frequent and occasionally violent riots. That's not happening on Parliament. So why shutter your business each night?

Last edited:
So why shutter your business each night?
Fry Haus on Gerrard does this too. The shutters do seem to attract a lot of graffiti, making me think the taggers also make the connection of shutters with urban decay.

2668675006_4d3cf5a1fc.jpg

Attachments

• 2668675006_4d3cf5a1fc.jpg
    2668675006_4d3cf5a1fc.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 797
Glass and glass insurance are expensive. You don't need to get robbed to have your front window broken. Stones from passing vehicles, etc. I know it looks low-level, but the business owner doesn't care - he's at home knowing his glass is safe. LOL

I think those metal shutters ruin the look of a street and make a neighbourhood look and feel unsafe. I'd like to see them banned from the city. I've seen a number of cities that have decorative solutions to prevent theft, that actually make the window look good. I didn't even realize they were protective, until somebody told me. They looked more like art sculptures, than anti-theft bars. I think it's a great solution to protect a shop from theft.

So no splash pad this summer for the children of Cabbagetown. Well done, NIMBYs!
Not true whatsoever. Cabbagetown's main splash pad has always been in Riverdale Park West by the Farm. If you visit both splash pads in the summer you quickly notice the Wellesley Park pad is hardly used, while the Riverdale pad is very popular.

Not true whatsoever. Cabbagetown's main splash pad has always been in Riverdale Park West by the Farm. If you visit both splash pads in the summer you quickly notice the Wellesley Park pad is hardly used, while the Riverdale pad is very popular.

Those are wading pools as opposed to splash pads. Hours are restrictive because they need to be supervised by several lifeguards. The wading pools are open June 26-Sep 6, from 10am-1pm and again from 2pm-6pm, per the City's website: http://www1.toronto.ca/parks/prd/facilities/complex/344/index.htm#pfrComplexTabs-dropin

The splash pad being constructed in Wellesley Park will be Cabbagetown's first that is user-activated and available to use anytime. The closest working splash pads I know of are Regent Park and Corktown Common.

Ah, understood, thanks for clarifying.

One change I'd like to see in CT is for a bicycle path connection to the Lower Don Trail that doesn't require me to lug the family's bikes down and up the 30+ steps of the Riverdale pedestrian bridge.

Why are there traffic lights showing green northward at Sackville and Gerrard? I've been seeing more cars going the wrong way (north) on Sackville. Instead of green northward, why not show left and right green lights?

Why are there traffic lights showing green northward at Sackville and Gerrard? I've been seeing more cars going the wrong way (north) on Sackville. Instead of green northward, why not show left and right green lights?

Perhaps since Sackville south of Gerrard was previously just a driveway to the parking area for the apartments there was no problem because everyone knew the road was one way southbound. Now that it's a through street and it is used by significantly more drivers it's an issue because dumb people don't notice the 'do not enter' signs.

Another possibility is that at some point in the past Sackville was a two way street a little ways north to the lane-way. Lots of streets west of downtown have that quirk. Also it's possible it's just lazy people who live on the street that don't want to drive around the block the long way.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that left turns from Lakeshore to Parliament are no longer permitted? This will make driving to Cabbagetown and the surrounding area a challenge.

Wait...going east on Lakeshore you can no longer turn north on Parliament?? That's really inconvenient. I wonder why...I never noticed any traffic issues resulting from that green arrow. You can't turn north on Jarvis from Lakeshore, can you turn on Sherbourne?

Back