News   Jul 25, 2024
 522     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 455     0 

Buyer-agent agreements??

izomax

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am a first time home buyer, when I contacted the listing agent they want me to sign the buyer-agent agreements before showing me the unit. I don't feel very comfortable signing it as other agents didn't ask me to sign anything. However I do want to see that unit, is there another way?

^ Sorry but I don't think that's the most helpful advice possible. See the comments in another thread recently about "trusting your agent".

As a buyer, get an agent who will be on your side. There isn't really any good reason for you to contact the listing agent directly.

Expect to sign an agreement. This is routine procedure. As I said in the other thread, a good agent will almost certainly insist on it, and I would question how good an agent is who doesn't insist on it. It doesn't need to be for a lengthy period of time, it could be for only a few days if you prefer.

My advice addressed his question, whether or not you think its helpful.

The original poster made it clear that:

a) He wasn't comfortable signing a contract (so for you to suggest him to do just that makes YOUR advice unhelpful)

b) He had already met agents that did not require signing,

c) He wants to see the unit and what other way was there.

So given those conditions, the advice i gave i think is the most helpful.

My advice addressed his question, whether or not you think its helpful.

The original poster made it clear that:

a) He wasn't comfortable signing a contract (so for you to suggest him to do just that makes YOUR advice unhelpful)

b) He had already met agents that did not require signing,

c) He wants to see the unit and what other way was there.

So given those conditions, the advice i gave i think is the most helpful.

Thanks, so how do I actually find an agent that can be trusted?

Best way is through referral. Ask people you know, ask whether they were a good agent and if its really important to you....ask whether they required signing an agreement.

Other than that, it's hard to give advice on how to find a trustworthy agent. It's a numbers game. There's a lot of agents out there, don't be afraid to contact many of them till you find someone that you have a good hunch about and that you feel comfortable with.

Thanks, so how do I actually find an agent that can be trusted?

The fact of the matter is, it's a crap shoot. It all comes down to money in the end. I posted many times re. opening up the MLS database for equal access to all in real time so that no one has "privilidged" information or deals above everyone else.

Sigh,.....but as it stands now with the current system, here's your options:

1) If you are confident and know exactly what you want and at what price, then bargain hard with the listing agent directly who may or may not be a prick. If he/she insists you sign an agreement (which is BS), make it to last as long as your offer is on the table and only for that property. If you are not the winning bid, walk away cuz real estate is not a commodity in which there is a shortage of supply (ie. there's gonna be another deal down the line).

2) If you are not so confident and don't know exactly what something is worth or need some hand holding. OK, go with a buyer agent but just know that ultimately you are paying for his/her services no matter what BS they feed you about how their services are "free". So make sure your agent actually does some work and bargain hard on your behalf otherwise fire his/her ass and get yourself another. Like real estate itself, agents are not a commodity in which there is a shortage of supply.

Back