News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 709     0 

Buy or Rent?

So your thesis is that we are going to share in all the upside of other world markets but we will never share the down side of other world markets....is that your thesis ??

No...I am saying that we will have weathered the storm better than other world markets precisely because our real estate markets have been consistent and hasn't had the hyper-appreciation of other markets globally. Of course we will feel some of the effects, but much less than other parts of the world. For years our real estate market has been under valued and actually that could really be our saving grace! Once this mini-recession goes away, in about 8 months or so...we will continue to see property values in Toronto rise. I don't have a thesis, only a small but significant opinion :).

No...I am saying that we will have weathered the storm better than other world markets precisely because our real estate markets have been consistent and hasn't had the hyper-appreciation of other markets globally. Of course we will feel some of the effects, but much less than other parts of the world. For years our real estate market has been under valued and actually that could really be our saving grace! Once this mini-recession goes away, in about 8 months or so...we will continue to see property values in Toronto rise. I don't have a thesis, only a small but significant opinion :).

A thesis is basically an opinion.

So your opinion is that we are going to have a "mini-recession". What makes you think that ?? What do you base this opinion on ??

A thesis is basically an opinion.

So your opinion is that we are going to have a "mini-recession". What makes you think that ?? What do you base this opinion on ??

A thesis is actually a dissertation based on one's research and findings. An opinion is different, it is ones thoughts towards something to verify the truth. Maybe what you meant to say was theory??? This is much different than thesis, which you keep mentioning!

Just the way the market is heading....Our manufacturing industry has already felt the pinch, and our markets are starting to feel them as we speak. In large part due to the unrest with our friends to the south, our largest trading partner. We'll get out of it....no worries!

A thesis is actually a dissertation based on one's research and findings. An opinion is different, it is ones thoughts towards something to verify the truth. Maybe what you meant to say was theory??? This is much different than thesis, which you keep mentioning!

Just the way the market is heading....Our manufacturing industry has already felt the pinch, and our markets are starting to feel them as we speak. In large part due to the unrest with our friends to the south, our largest trading partner. We'll get out of it....no worries!

The word "thesis" comes from the Greek θέσις, meaning "position", and refers to an intellectual proposition. And I would think that your opinion would be based on some form of intellectual proposition. Anyways, at this point, these would be semantics.

What would be more important is as you have correctly pointed out, the manufacturing sector has already felt the pinch and our markets are starting to respond and our largest trading partner is the US which is behaving like a slow train wreck unfolding. So the question begs again,.....what leads you to your opinion/theory/thesis that this is a "mini-recession" given what you have pointed out yourself above ??

The word "thesis" comes from the Greek θέσις, meaning "position", and refers to an intellectual proposition. And I would think that your opinion would be based on some form of intellectual proposition. Anyways, at this point, these would be semantics.

What would be more important is as you have correctly pointed out, the manufacturing sector has already felt the pinch and our markets are starting to respond and our largest trading partner is the US which is behaving like a slow train wreck unfolding. So the question begs again,.....what leads you to your opinion/theory/thesis that this is a "mini-recession" given what you have pointed out yourself above ??

By "mini-recession" I believe that it won't be prolonged and painful as some of the past recessions as in the early 90's. I think people these days especially in Canada are much more adept to handling these types of downturns because we are more conservative in our spending habits, have consistent jobs, and are well diversified in the markets. The people that I feel the worst for are small businesses that are going to get hit the hardest because they won't be able to generate the cash flow necessary to keep the boat afloat. They will have to be more creative in securing finances and basically think more "outside the box" in order to get through this. How about you...do you have a thesis/opinion/theory on all of this :) ?

By "mini-recession" I believe that it won't be prolonged and painful as some of the past recessions as in the early 90's. I think people these days especially in Canada are much more adept to handling these types of downturns because we are more conservative in our spending habits, have consistent jobs, and are well diversified in the markets. The people that I feel the worst for are small businesses that are going to get hit the hardest because they won't be able to generate the cash flow necessary to keep the boat afloat. They will have to be more creative in securing finances and basically think more "outside the box" in order to get through this. How about you...do you have a thesis/opinion/theory on all of this :) ?

Yeah, my opinion is that when credit and liquidity freezes,....it ain't pretty. Kinda like watching a slow moving train wreck unfolding.

But anyways, if your opinion is that we are headed for a soft landing relative to US and other parts of the world (some parts 30-70% downside) and then bounce past them afterwards (which I still don't get why), would you be happy with say 20-25% downside here ?? That would seem like a reasonable number according to your opinion that we won't be as hard hit since we never saw the upside relative to rest of the world.

Back