News   Jul 30, 2024
 151     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 334     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Buy a ticket to ride - on the 401 -- Toronto Star

we're getting a crosstown GO line, a crosstown eglinton LRT so naturally, there should be a crosstown something in the 401 area or nearby. what ever it is, it should incorporate the sheppard subway line.

replying to my own post because i have a change/modification of opinion..

extend sheppard line west to meet up with the spadina line extension to york U, this connects with the finch LRT in the hydro corridor. east of the sheppard subway line, it connects to STC (or whatever) with either a subway or and LRT.

going across the city east to west, max of 3 transfers = sheppard LRT to sheppard subway, sheppard subway to spadina extension, spadina extension to finch LRT.

not too bad in my books.

@unimaginative2

We did study travel patters... we studied it to death.

This is one of the studies used to create a computer model of travel patterns in the GTA. Everything Metrolinx put out in the white paper is run through the computer model, and this produces estimates for modal share, commuting times, etc.

The lines you see are based on actual people giving actual responses about where they go, when they go and why. They are not simply "arrows drawn on a map."

That's very good to hear! But then why are new proposals popping up all the time that make absolutely no reference to either cost/benefit or demand in the corridor?

I think the idea is something that would be a disaster, there is no reason to build TOD in and around rail stops upon a freeway.

The Dan Ryan in south Chicago and the blue line on the Kennedy to O'Hare is a nightmare. The idea of building that kind of system in Toronto would be a colossal waste of money.

If you notice, there are zero highrises between downtown Chicago and O'Hare with the exception of a small office park off the I-190 spur from I-90 going right into the airport. Forget highrises, there is nothing closely resembling much of a town centre or commercial district WORTH HAVING anywhere on the Blue Line or south Red Line.

But could it function? Yea, even Chicago has a duplicate Green Line beside the in-grade subway on the Dan Ryan. Its functional, but depletes the CTA of precious funds for a line that doesn't enhance any community feeling.

If we need a crosstown east-west express rail service, why not use the existing Lakeshore tracks and run Hamilton - Oshawa trains that skip most stations in between?

Any line that has to go through downtown is not a crosstown line. The point of a crosstown line is to connect the nodes outside of downtown. What you suggest does not make it any easier for people to travel between MCC, NYCC, SCC, etc.

That's very good to hear! But then why are new proposals popping up all the time that make absolutely no reference to either cost/benefit or demand in the corridor?

Because the 401 proposal that appeared in the star was made by a lobby group - not by any government agency. You'll have to talk to them about their numbers. All proposals made by Metrolinx will have supporting documentation in the draft and final RTP.

Glad to hear it. What about a net benefit model? They use them for any large public project in Britain, but they've never been used here.

Pardon my ignorance, but can you define the UK's interpretation of a net benefit model?

It will help me better answer your question because they may be doing it under a different name.

Back