News   Jul 16, 2024
 106     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 463     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 573     2 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Fare increase approved. Insane $3.75 cash fare.

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/transit/Fares/Pages/Fares_Preview_March312014.aspx

At least they didn't raise their child and student fares, which are the most expensive in the GTA by far. Adult fare is not too bad, actually the same as Mississauga's.

Hopefully they don't become like YRT. We all know how that is turned out.

The $3.75 cash fare will get all the headlines but I rarely see people on BT using cash anymore as the conversion to Presto seems to have gone very well....with Presto the fare is going up to $2.80.....which, I would guess, is what most people will pay.

The $3.75 cash fare will get all the headlines but I rarely see people on BT using cash anymore as the conversion to Presto seems to have gone very well....with Presto the fare is going up to $2.80.....which, I would guess, is what most people will pay.

Brampton has been somewhat on the high side, but it's comparable to most other systems in the GTA.

The $2.80 Presto for BT fare is comparable to the TTC's $2.65 token/Presto adult fare, and the same at MT's $2.80 Presto/ticket fare. (Though MT's cash fare remains $3.25.)

YRT's one-zone fare is $4.00 cash and $3.30 per ticket/Presto.

Can't really compare TTC tokens and cash fare to 905 tickets and cash fare since no time-based transfer. You can only compare the passes:

Adult Monthlly Pass

TTC $133.75
YRT $132.00
Mississauga $120.00
Brampton $115.00
Durham $103.00

So there you go. TTC is most expensive in GTA by far, followed closely by York.

Can't really compare TTC tokens and cash fare to 905 tickets and cash fare since no time-based transfer. You can only compare the passes:

It should be possible to calculate farebox revenue per passenger ($TOTAL non subsidy revenue / trips) which would give you an average charge per trip; or does TTC and the other agencies calculate passengers differently?

In 2013 TTC charged an average of $2.11 per trip. That includes eyeball revenue (ads, retail rent) and other indirect charges the customer may experience.

Last edited:
2014 Service Plan boards are up here

Proposed Changes
Route 23 Sandalwood would be extended west to Veterans Drive past Creditview and go down Veteran Drive into the Mt. Pleasant town centre area.
NEW Route 26 would be a local circulator of the areas west of Creditview Road along Mississauga Road connecting to Mt. Pleasant GO.
Even more realignment of the mess that is the 4/A Chingacousy, also moving to 15 minute midday frequency, as well midday service to the 4A branch.
52 McMurchy proposed during only peak service to divert off Ray Lawson Blvd to Cherry Tree Drive.
21 Heart Lake to change from a one-way loop (that reverses direction based on time), to a two-way route connecting Heart Lake Terminal to Trinity Common Terminal via. Conestoga Dr, Rutherford St. North, Southlake Blvd, and Bovaird Drive.
31 McVean: extended via Skyvalley Drive to Panahill Drive.

Bramalea Corridor Review
So three options to serve this corridor
1. Extend 15A Bramalea to the Countryside Drive (now ends at Hospital) and eliminate the 15A's hospital loop, extend 115 Airport Express to the hospital, and extend the 15 straight to the Bramalea/Inspire area.
- 115 would only go between the hospital and the airport during peak service, would travel from Bramalea Terminal all other times

2. Realign 15/A off of the Father Tobin/Fernforest Loop and go straight to the Walmart at Bramalea/Inspire. Also extend the 92 Bramalea GO to service the Father Tobin/Fernforest Loop.
- 92 would continue being a peak period route

3. Realign the 15 to go straight up Bramalea to Bramalea/Inspire without other extensions.

Airport Road Corridor Review
1. New 30A Airport branch, to go between Sandalwood/Airport loop and Westwood Mall during peak periods. 29 A Williams extension to Goreway and Steeles via. Goreway.

2. New 30A Airport branch, to go between Sandalwood/Airport loop and Westwood Mall during peak periods. 5A Bovaird eliminated.

Zum 505 Bovaird
Serious disappointment. Will run 15 minutes during rush hour, 20 minutes midday service on weekdays. No weekday evening or night service. 20 minute frequencies during Saturday and Sunday day times. Combined 5/5A Bovaird service will be dropped to 15 minute combined frequency, no change in other frequencies.

From the tiny map, the stops are: Mt. Pleasant GO, Worthington Avenue, Chingacousy Road, McLaughlin Road, Hurontario Street, Kennedy Road, Southlake Boulevard, Trinity Common Terminal, Dixie Road, Bramalea Road, Brampton Civic Hospital (on Bovaird stop), Torbram Road, Airport Road, and Queen/Goreway.

511 West Extension - 2015
Stops include: McMurchy, McLaughlin, Chingacousy, Financial, Mississauga, Hereford, Heritage, Winston Churchill, Lisgar GO.

501/A West Extension - 2016
Stops include: McMurchy, McLaughlin, Chingacousy, James Potter, Creditview, Mississauga, Williams/Missisauga, Bovaird/Mississauga, Mt. Pleasant GO.

General Service Changes (that weren't mentionned above)
501/A Queen: Additional peak period and midday trips (not specified).
502 Main: Additional peak period and midday trips (not specified).
511 Steeles: Additional peak period trips (not specified).
2 Main: Peak frequency increased from 20 minutes to 15.
7/A Kennedy: Peak combined frequency moved from 7.5 to 7 minutes. Saturday daytime frequencies moved from 20 to 15 minutes.
18/A Dixie: Peak period combined frequency moved from 7.5/8 minutes to 7/7.5. Saturday daytime frequencies moved from 20 to 15 minutes.
NEW 26 Mt. Pleasant: 30 minute peak period frequency.
35 Clarkway: Earlier and later trips on Saturday. Sunday service added, every 40 minutes.
51A Lisgar GO: Addition of 60 minute Saturday service.
115 Airport Express: Peak period service changed from 30/30 minutes to 30/25 minutes.

The amount of money that Brampton is spending on transit is slowing down - and it shows.

While I get that the new 505 isn't going to be especially well-used, at least compared to the flagship 501/A, it really should have service until 10PM Monday through Saturday - but 20 minute base service is fine to start off with.

I also think the 502 Main should get 15 minute service now on Saturdays and early evenings.

The 15/115 is somewhat disappointing - the 15 is becoming an important route and should be every 20 minutes middays, evenings and Saturdays now. It's also time to eliminate the 45 minute late evening service on the 23 and 29 and bring it to the 30 minute standard as was proposed (and not implemented) in 2012.

I'd also rethink the 58 Financial - it should continue up Mississauga Road to Mount Pleasant GO and run off-peak.

I'd make Susan Fennell repay some of her outrageous expenses to fund some of the off-peak improvements.

They risk reducing the Zum brand with the 505 not having evening or night service. It was already troublesome with Zum Steeles yet to finish construction (and having people wait in the grass next to a hydro pole at Torbram) but now it seems they have just abandoned the idea of keeping Zum a premium service that people can rely on day and night.

They risk reducing the Zum brand with the 505 not having evening or night service. It was already troublesome with Zum Steeles yet to finish construction (and having people wait in the grass next to a hydro pole at Torbram) but now it seems they have just abandoned the idea of keeping Zum a premium service that people can rely on day and night.
Though to be fair, Zum Steeles ran into the problem of intersection reconstruction not being handled by the city of Brampton, but by the Region of Peel, who clearly don't know how to reconstruct an intersection (on time).

Six months ago, Fennell and council were making noises about cutting transit's funding, forcing cutbacks to the existing service, but backed away. But as a result, these are the least ambitious improvements since 2008.

My sense is that BT's funding is lower than they like it to be. At least the 505 is going to Goreway/Queen, the proposed corridor was only between Mount Pleasant and Airport Road originally. I bet that the Phase II corridors wouldn't even be a reality if it weren't for senior govemment capital funding for new buses and queue-jumps and shelters. Also, the local 5 does parallel the entire route exactly (unlike on Queen or Hurontario), so at least it's not like there's no alternative in the evenings.

The PIC is tomorrow evening at Brampton City Hall. I'm thinking about taking the train up and finding out more and asking these questions.

Though to be fair, Zum Steeles ran into the problem of intersection reconstruction not being handled by the city of Brampton, but by the Region of Peel, who clearly don't know how to reconstruct an intersection (on time).

That is true. That's why didnt want to put too much blame on BT for the slow progress of Zum Steeles (even though Steeles also has relatively limited hours)

Six months ago, Fennell and council were making noises about cutting transit's funding, forcing cutbacks to the existing service, but backed away. But as a result, these are the least ambitious improvements since 2008.

My sense is that BT's funding is lower than they like it to be. At least the 505 is going to Goreway/Queen, the proposed corridor was only between Mount Pleasant and Airport Road originally. I bet that the Phase II corridors wouldn't even be a reality if it weren't for senior govemment capital funding for new buses and queue-jumps and shelters. Also, the local 5 does parallel the entire route exactly (unlike on Queen or Hurontario), so at least it's not like there's no alternative in the evenings.

The PIC is tomorrow evening at Brampton City Hall. I'm thinking about taking the train up and finding out more and asking these questions.

Ya i agree, you really can't blame the planners. I'm sure there doing the best they can, they just don't have enough funding.

Whoever is responsible, the work along Steeles really needs to get cleaned up now. As either a driver or a transit rider, that stretch of Zum stops between Dixie and Torbram is atrocious.

Back