News   May 01, 2024
 162     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2.6K     5 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Though LRT is very exciting to think about (the full option, not the split one), I think full BRT from Downtown to Spadina subway offers the most flexibility and is easiest to set up quickly. I doubt YRT would be very pleased with a zum branded LRT train going through York Region after they spent so much effort boosting up viva and it would result in a forced transfer for west Vaughan residents going past VMC.

If they do BRT though, I hope they do it like how the Spadina streetcar works (with physical barriers on both sides) rather than like how vivanext just has centre lanes. With that kinds of separation I think it would be possible to raise the speed limit on the busway while keeping regular traffic at a lower speed to make the BRT fully competitive or even advantageous over a car during peak and off peak times.

Disappointing the case study only looked at BRT and LRT. It would have been nice, if the report looked at streetcars in ROW as an option. I personally think dedicated bus lanes is the best answer, but I would have loved to see more than two options looked at.

Last edited:
I'm really skeptical about any plan for Queen Street other than further upgrades of the current corridor. LRT makes little sense as it is supposed to link to the subway at Vaughan on one end, and a possible extension to Mount Pleasant GO on the other. Dedicated bus lanes, all-door boarding and a rethought of the downtown area (the congestion is pretty bad, especially when GO Trains are arriving in the afternoon) are really what's needed.

Hurontario/Main Street, which has more intensifiication possibilities and connecting three GO stations and several growth centres, is the only corridor in Peel Region really suited to immediate LRT construction.

Dundas East would be a great corridor for LRT too. Same with Queen Street East in Brampton. The problem is Highway 7 in Vaughan. BRT is better because buses could just use the 407 and bypass Highway 7 like the 501A (does anyone actually use the regular 501?).

I'm not sure the point of having Queen BRT/LRT serve the Mount Pleasant GO. Let GO provide connections between GO Train stations on the same line, that has nothing to do with Brampton Transit.

Disappointing the case study only looked at BRT and LRT. It would have been nice, if the report looked at streetcars in ROW as an option. I personally think dedicated bus lanes is the best answer, but I would have loved to see more than two options looked at.

Streetcar in ROW and LRT, same thing.

Isnt that exactly what LRT is? A streetcar in their own lanes?

Dundas East would be a great corridor for LRT too. Same with Queen Street East in Brampton. The problem is Highway 7 in Vaughan. BRT is better because buses could just use the 407 and bypass Highway 7 like the 501A (does anyone actually use the regular 501?).

I'm not sure the point of having Queen BRT/LRT serve the Mount Pleasant GO. Let GO provide connections between GO Train stations on the same line, that has nothing to do with Brampton Transit.

I think having the zum (hopefully in the form of the 501 not as a separate route) go to Mount Pleasant GO is not to connect with the GO train but rather to connect the Zum to the various bus routes from Northwest Brampton that congregate there. This would give the people there a more a attractive option to connect to Toronto and York rather than having to take their local bus to Mount Pleasant and then take the 505 and then transfer to the 501.

Isnt that exactly what LRT is? A streetcar in their own lanes?

Streetcar are technically light rail. Streetcar is just a colloquial term. The technical term is LRV: light rail vehicle (e.g. Canadian Light Rail Vehicle). Saying LRT are not streetcars is like saying BRT is not bus. BRT is modern/upgraded version of traditional bus, LRT is a modern/upgraded version of traditional light rail. So yeah, streetcar in ROW is LRT.

Oh sorry, that was meant as a rhetorical question to JayBeeGooner to indicate exactly what you are saying.

If anyone actually looks at the report, it says the initial section from the downtown terminal to Centre Street will operate in mixed traffic, LRT or BRT.

If anyone actually looks at the report, it says the initial section from the downtown terminal to Centre Street will operate in mixed traffic, LRT or BRT.

As they should...it would be awkward/difficult/expensive to do otherwise and the total trip currently by Zum from the terminal to Centre street is 2 minutes.....not sure how much having it's own right of way would save but it certainly would not be worth the cost/disruption whatever it was.

Operational costs are part of the BCA analysis. The option that performed best from the benefit-cost perspective was a BRT corridor from Downtown Brampton to the Spadina Subway extension.
Which is the option that should be looked at. York Region plans to extend the Viva rapidway from Helen Street to Highway 50 so they could collaborate on that.

Bovaird Drive ZUM Improvements
between Mount Pleasant Go Station to Airport Road
CONTRACT NUMBER: 2013-061

As part of the Capital Works Program, the City of Brampton will be improving various Intersections along
Bovaird Drive from Mount Pleasant Go Station to Airport Road. This essential improvement is required to
facilitate ZUM on Bovaird Drive.

The above noted Contract was awarded to Pave-Al Ltd. and construction is scheduled to commence October
2013. Completion of this project is anticipated by August 29, 2014.

See here for more things.

Bovaird Drive ZUM Improvements
between Mount Pleasant Go Station to Airport Road
CONTRACT NUMBER: 2013-061

As part of the Capital Works Program, the City of Brampton will be improving various Intersections along
Bovaird Drive from Mount Pleasant Go Station to Airport Road. This essential improvement is required to
facilitate ZUM on Bovaird Drive.

The above noted Contract was awarded to Pave-Al Ltd. and construction is scheduled to commence October
2013. Completion of this project is anticipated by August 29, 2014.

See here for more things.

Just wish this did not end at Airport Road but, rather, go down Airport to the Airport....one express bus service which would cross with 3 other zum lines as well as two GO Stations and, well, the Airport....that would be a pretty cool network addition.

Back