News   Apr 23, 2024
 228     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 981     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 300     0 

Brampton: Queen Street RT

^ There's some sense of what could happen to the Dixie site in the letter from the planning consultant attached to the Rogers letter.

View attachment 376891

That's an odd layout; and I wonder what the have in mind for the rear of the industrial site, just parking?

I'd be inclined to extend Carleton Park through the site, on a similar angle to its current trajectory, put all the industrial behind/west of that with access from Orenda.

Then you can use the green space as a buffer between uses, plus you can design it to address the flooding risk.

That could be alright. Depends on how high those towers are.
and that is the sort of devil in the details that normal planning process allows consultation and input on. Balmoral Road looks like it is gonna become different kind of street once it is the main e/w connection to this new residential site.

That's an odd layout; and I wonder what the have in mind for the rear of the industrial site, just parking?
Employee parking and trucks loading/unloading/turning.......takes up a lot of space in what is likely to be another big box single tenant logistics/fulfillment centre

I'd be inclined to extend Carleton Park through the site, on a similar angle to its current trajectory, put all the industrial behind/west of that with access from Orenda.

Then you can use the green space as a buffer between uses, plus you can design it to address the flooding risk.
loading and truck staging areas most likely.

Hybrid workforce will sort out that s.f. per employee situation....hotdesking/hotelling/WFH model will sort it out.

Further to my original posts.....that briefing note does not discuss at all what is going to happen with 60 acres and 1 million s.f. of space......just that it is changing! The residents on the east side of Dixie are going to see a pretty dramatic shift in how their streets get used....and i don't want to sound as if I am opposed to development but what an MZO does is remove any public consultatiion and their ability to know what is coming, comment on it and influence it....and to rub salt in the wounds...the lands are not even discussed in the briefing note.
The Dixie Site cannot lawfully proceed without an MZO, it is in a Provincially Significant Employment Zone which cannot be converted to residential unless it is in a delineated MTSA area, and this site is not currently in a delineated MTSA, nor is there any intention for it to ever be in a delineated MTSA. The MZO will significantly increase the land value for the residential portion. I can't tell if this is Rogers demanding a bribe, or bonusing, which is also illegal.

^ Are you able to expand on that? So you're saying the Minister can't approve the MZO because the site isn't in a MTSA? Do you have a specific reference in the Planning Act/Growth Plan/PPS that cites that?

Can you expand on the "bonusing" reference?

Given the site's location to the future Queen BRT, the residential uses at the Dixie site could add to the ridership projections.

^ Are you able to expand on that? So you're saying the Minister can't approve the MZO because the site isn't in a MTSA? Do you have a specific reference in the Planning Act/Growth Plan/PPS that cites that?

Can you expand on the "bonusing" reference?

Given the site's location to the future Queen BRT, the residential uses at the Dixie site could add to the ridership projections.
No, I'm saying the only way it can proceed is via MZO, and it could not proceed through the standard zoning process.

Bonusing is a thing explicitly banned in the Municipal Act to prevent cities throwing money at companies to attract them, which leads to destructive arms races of funding, benefiting the corporations, not the public. What is prohibited is things giving companies unearned windfalls, which the MZO for Dixie most likely qualifies as, there is no clear benefit to the public, only financial windfalls for Rogers, which do not make sense to grant for Dixie. Some lady delegated to Council suggesting a bus Maintenance and Storage Facility for the industrial portion, that would likely be sufficient to render concerns about bonusing moot, as the City could argue the value uplift on Dixie was partial compensation for land for a new bus facility.

Rogers is tying these MZOs together like this to try to get the City to de facto give them a nice bag of money to relocate downtown.

That is a very odd location for a warehouse. Warehouses are not good neighbours...

No, I'm saying the only way it can proceed is via MZO, and it could not proceed through the standard zoning process.

Bonusing is a thing explicitly banned in the Municipal Act to prevent cities throwing money at companies to attract them, which leads to destructive arms races of funding, benefiting the corporations, not the public. What is prohibited is things giving companies unearned windfalls, which the MZO for Dixie most likely qualifies as, there is no clear benefit to the public, only financial windfalls for Rogers, which do not make sense to grant for Dixie. Some lady delegated to Council suggesting a bus Maintenance and Storage Facility for the industrial portion, that would likely be sufficient to render concerns about bonusing moot, as the City could argue the value uplift on Dixie was partial compensation for land for a new bus facility.

Rogers is tying these MZOs together like this to try to get the City to de facto give them a nice bag of money to relocate downtown.

Thanks for expanding. On the topic of the Municipal Act and bonusing, has this been covered by any media articles on the other MZOs issued in other municipalities?

While we wait for more news on this project, good to see some intensification happening along the corridor.

Queen and Rutherford. Plans dated October 18, 2022. Via r/BramptonSpeaks here.

1667852413957.png

Bramalea Retirement Residence (Former Holiday Inn) at BCC plans to redevelop into three 38-40 story towers (also via r/BramptonSpeaks here), dated September 1, 2022.

1667852498740.png

1667852573762.png

City staff report and Metrolinx deputation and presentation deck at today's Committee of Council meeting. I assume several of the slides from the deck will be used again for the virtual public meeting on January 26th noted above.

City staff report: https://pub-brampton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=72020 (Google drive link in case the City's becomes broken)

Metrolinx deck: https://pub-brampton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=72016 (Google drive link in case the City's becomes broken)

City staff report and Metrolinx deputation and presentation deck at today's Committee of Council meeting. I assume several of the slides from the deck will be used again for the virtual public meeting on January 26th noted above.

City staff report: https://pub-brampton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=72020 (Google drive link in case the City's becomes broken)

Metrolinx deck: https://pub-brampton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=72016 (Google drive link in case the City's becomes broken)

The Mx deck is a near-perfect example of baking in far too much extraneous, superfluous process at significant expense in both money and time.

The political decision to proceed with this project has essentially been made; there is no extraordinary environmental impact of a negative nature as a result of this project (minor, specific elements such as watercourse crossings can be the subject of a far more scoped study).

The idea that you need to drag out this studying exercise for almost 2 full years beyond what's already been done, and then get only to 30% design..........sigh.

Back