News   Apr 26, 2024
 217     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 700     0 

Bradford Bond Head Development

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
This project would transform the hamlet of Bond Head into a city of 100,000. It's a very detailed website with some interesting information. Well worth a look.

http://www.bradfordbondhead.ca/

If we're going to build developments like this and Queensville, we should be building rail transit to them from the beginning. It would cost barely a few million dollars to extend a rail line from Bradford to the heart of this new development. It makes so much more sense to do it now than to try and put a new line through an already-developed area.

At least a right of way needs to be reserved for long term transportation needs from the get-go.

Put another city of 100,000 up there, and the 427 will be extended north before you know it too.

The province should really do something about Southern Simcoe... Big Bay Point, Bond Head, New Tecumsah, Simcoe County OP not conforming to P2G, etc....

a recent Barber article about some developments in the area...

STRATEGIC LAWSUITS AGAINST PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
Win whets appetite of green warriors
JOHN BARBER
E-mail John Barber | Read Bio | Latest Columns
February 3, 2009
You'd think that Rick Smith and David Donnelly would be happier. The two green warriors - Dr. Smith as head of Environmental Defence Canada, Mr. Donnelly as scrappy lawyer in the same cause - won the provincial policy lottery last week when the Ontario Municipal Board dismissed a developer's demand that they and their allies pay more than $3-million to cover the alleged cost of their opposition to a huge resort development on Lake Simcoe.

It turned out that the board agreed with everything the two had always said: that they hadn't acted unreasonably in opposing the marina at Big Bay Point, that the developer had no right to recover costs and that its extravagant claim was meant to have a "chilling effect" on other individuals and groups opposing development.

But defending the case cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, the environmentalists say, and the OMB decision does nothing to discourage another so-called SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) tomorrow.

"Our hope now is that the province moves to introduce an anti-SLAPP statute," Dr. Smith said.

The victory at the OMB came despite "the indifference of the provincial government," according to Mr. Donnelly, "which was a party throughout this matter, had two lawyers taking notes the whole time but did not have one thing to say about it."

Just as disturbing to the two environmentalists is the spectre of history repeating itself just down Highway 400 near the towns of Bradford and Bond Head, where the province is once again vacillating in the face of a major development proposal that appears to contradict its much-lauded new planning laws and policies.

"It's very clear the government is chickening out," Dr. Smith said, adding that the Big Bay Point development "is only a symptom of a larger problem" in southern Simcoe County involving "some of the largest, most destructive development projects in Ontario history."

"The province is undermining its own much-ballyhooed Places to Grow Act and Greenbelt plan by aiding and abetting any number of crazy new proposals leapfrogging all over Simcoe County," he said.

Bitterness over Big Bay Point first emerged in June, 2007, a few weeks before a scheduled OMB hearing, when the province unexpectedly withdrew its opposition to the resort and abandoned the case, based on planning and environmental law, it had planned to make against it at the hearing.

The move came after negotiations led by provincial development facilitator Paula Dill produced a settlement agreed to by the province, local governments and the developer. But that left the environmentalists and local residents alone to make the case against the project - and alone again later as they fought off a $3.2-million lawsuit.

And the same process appears to be happening all over again, according to the environmentalists, with the McGuinty government postponing another OMB hearing into an even larger Simcoe County development as Ms. Dill negotiates privately with the parties involved.

This proposal, championed by a consortium that includes Geranium Corp., the Big Bay Point developer, aims to transform the sleepy village of Bond Head into a new town of more than 100,000 people centred on Highway 400 and County Road 88. Once again, the province opposed the plan and prepared to argue against it at the board, saying that it contravened laws that ban sprawl in favour of intensified development in established nodes - in this case Barrie.

Once again, it has pulled back while its "facilitator" negotiates.

"What the hell is going on?" Dr. Smith asked. "If it's contrary to the act, what is there to talk about?"

Mr. Donnelly is now unmuzzled after months of litigation. They may have scored a stirring victory, but the two watchdogs clearly have no intention to abandon their post.

jbarber@globeandmail.com

I told you guys that south Simcoe County was the loophole in the Greenbelt and Places to Grow legislation big enough to plow a fleet of bulldozers through. Bond Head is hardly the place where a "new town" of 100,000 should go.

I told you guys that south Simcoe County was the loophole in the Greenbelt and Places to Grow legislation big enough to plow a fleet of bulldozers through. Bond Head is hardly the place where a "new town" of 100,000 should go.

And if you think otherwise, substitute an "e" for the "d" in "Bond"

Is Bradford part of the GTA? This is the GTA forum after all.

Bradford appears in MapArt's Toronto and Area street atlas, which I always thought was a pretty good measure of the GTA...

As it sits just on the other side of the Oak Ridges Moraine in a teasing "look - I've avoided your legislative grasp!" kind of way, sure, Bradford's germane to our ramblings here I think.

I always thought of the extreme boundaries of the GTHA sprawl as the 3 Bs: Bradford, Bowmanville and Beamsville.

I always thought of the extreme boundaries of the GTHA sprawl as the 3 Bs: Bradford, Bowmanville and Beamsville.

Barely ambitious enough...Barrie, Brighton, and Brantford are better burb boundaries. And Bracebridge, Belleville, and Buffalo is best!

Better build the Bradford Bypass...

I didn't want to belittlerate anyone.

(Strangely enough, 'alliterating' does not trip the spelling warning, so I am surprised by its apparent cromulence.)

Serious?

Seriously? When i was growing up i use to live in the town of Cookstown, which my parents still reside in, it's about 10 minutes away and only about pop. 4000. Cookstown is twice the of Bond Head, no way by 2035, 100,000 people will live there when there is currently on 1000-2000 people.

I didn't realize this included Bradford, but still this is no area for 100,000 people.

Last edited:
I presume the implication is that Bond Head proper will be a leftover flyspeck amid sprawl, not unlike places like Unionville...

Back