News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 603     0 

Bought a car, but just drive it in the winter?

I agree, avoid driving in Toronto during the winter. There are so many whackjobs who don't put winter tires on their cars it is unbelievable.

Save you money, move downtown. PATH and the subway will be your new best friend!

I think that's a bit strong. Decent all-season tires are not ideal, but will get you by if you don't drive like an idiot and leave adequate distance.

Actually, I'm generally not a big supporter of winter tires in Toronto. There is not enough winter in Toronto. The problem with winter tires is that they are considerably less desirable on pavement. Toronto's weather is warm enough, and most of Toronto's major streets are plowed regularly that you're on pavement the vast majority of the time anyway.

After having winter tires on my car for a few winters, I've been much happier just using with all seasons in good condition during the winter. I just drive a lot slower when there's snow out. The all seasons have somewhat less traction in the snow and ice, but are way, way better in everything else, esp. rain.

Remember, Toronto is not Quebec City or Regina.

P.S. The whackjobs are those who drive irresponsibly, and that includes a large chunk of people who have winter tires. Heck, the first people I often see on the curb after a snowstorm are those with 4-wheel drive SUVs and winter tires.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm generally not a big supporter of winter tires in Toronto. There is not enough winter in Toronto. The problem with winter tires is that they are considerably less desirable on pavement. Toronto's weather is warm enough, and most of Toronto's major streets are plowed regularly that you're on pavement the vast majority of the time anyway.
Just replaced my minivan's all-seasons with Nokian WRG2 tires, which are marketed as "all weather". They are a split-tread design that gives up some dry pavement grip (not that I have noticed) in favour of better winter performance. While not up to the level of a dedicated winter tire, they are considerably better than all-seasons in bad weather, from all accounts I've read.

The true test will be when the snow returns, of course.

Last edited:
Yes. Not all all seasons are created equal. Same goes for winter tires. I see a lot with crappy stock all seasons who buy crappy winter tires for the snow, and then go back to crappy all seasons in the spring.

Anyways, for the topic at hand, one must consider the insurance implications of ditching the car for extended periods of course. Not only do you want to protect the car, but you also want to protect your insurability. Ditching insurance completely means interruption of insurance which can increase your insurance rates. Your insurance company can clarify the issues.

Last edited:
If you avoid from braking hard and pressing the gas pedal to fast you should be okay.

I noticed when your turning right and your car spins, you just let go of the gas and it stops spinning the tires. However this does not mean you should not slow down while turning!!

When you approach a turn let go of the gas, tap the brake if you have to and just use momentum to get through the turn.

However sometimes you have to turn fast from main roads onto side roads because the side roads are still covered with snow. This part is dangerous no matter what you do. Go to slow you get stuck but that is it. Go to fast and you risk spinning out and hitting someone. Winter tires do not help much in this situation either.

Simply do not oversteer, it gets tricky with foreign cars as they have smooth steering.

MOST important keep distance and really just stay indoor during the big winter storms really.

You can be an expert driver, but if a guy comes to fast behind you and slams his brakes and hits you from behind, there is nothing you can do to stop that.

Back