News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Bought a car, but just drive it in the winter?

Ontario_rat

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi, I know canadian winter is so scary, so I am thinking of buying a car but JUST use it in the freezing winter, and take the public transit in other seasons. Is it possible? How much is the minimum car insurance in that case? and the expense of oil?

Thanks

More people put their car in the garage over winter. Maybe take it out and drive it around the block every couple of weeks, to keep the lubrication and battery in good condition.
My another concern is that it is advisable to insure against theft/vandalism when the car is not in use. So I have to swith to another insurance type for the car in the garage?

I know many people aren't nearly as dedicated as me, but I've survived the GTA for years without a car at all. Of course, if you're not quite into waiting at the bus stop in -20 degree weather or biking in a snowstorm, then of course it makes sense to use transit or bike when it's convenient, and have a car as a backup. Also, if you have a family, I suppose it would make a lot of sense to own a car as well.

If you're really set on getting around solely on public transit or a bike while it's warm, it would be advisable to find a private long-term garage (I don't know where they are, but I'm sure they exist in Toronto.) I don't think you'd need to worry about vandalism in such garages, but insurance probably wouldn't change.

But if you just need reassurance, I am living proof that not owning a car is very possible in Toronto. I might be upgrading to a moped sometime soon though, not quite sure if it counts :p

Insurance and other issues

Hi Ontario Rat:

Your insurance question first.

When you get insurance in Ontario for Driving.

In order to to drive in Ontario you must have Third-Party Liability Coverage.

If you are not drive the vehicle (AT ALL) then you can remove this coverage from your policy by asking your broker/company (make sure they accept this type of amendment when buying your policy in the first place)

Most do.

Removing liability coverage for a car parked (but not driven) for several months will save you some money; but it means you MUST leave the car parked until you reinstate your full coverage (it would be illegal to drive it)

Insurance rates vary widely by vehicle type and driver information.

If you are newly licensed in Ontario (and Canada) you can expect to pay quite a lot for insurance.

If you have proof of previous insurance in Canada (and maybe the U.S.) and no accidents, your rate may be lower.

Generally speaking, cheap rates for fully experienced drivers, with no accidents, and cheap cars, costs around $800.00 - $1,000 per year.

An inexperienced driver or an expensive or accident/theft prone car can mean insurance of $2,000 per year or more.

If you have accidents, don't even ask!

For detailed rates, check with an Insurance Broker and current policy rules, check with an insurance Broker.

As far as getting a car just to drive it in the worst weather; that doesn't seem like a great idea.

It depends on where you live and what you need to do; but probably better to either live without a car if your near transit/downtown etc.; or to get a car but park it in the bad weather!

Of course, if you're not quite into waiting at the bus stop in -20 degree weather
Soon, this will be less of a problem. TTC is working on a bus tracking system you can access on your cellphone, and you'll know exactly when to make your way to the bus stop :)

Soon, this will be less of a problem. TTC is working on a bus tracking system you can access on your cellphone, and you'll know exactly when to make your way to the bus stop :)

That is great! But people living outside of GTA will probably be less lucky.

That is great! But people living outside of GTA will probably be less lucky.
Unfortunately, York Region's been a bit short of transit service for a very long time. Thankfully, they seem to be trying to bring it back. Things will be much more bearable in a few years when the Stouffville line gets all day service and more expansions, as well as those wonderful looking new heated Vivastations :rolleyes:

EDIT: Where you're living might also be a factor. If you're living downtown, it suddenly makes a lot more sense to just ditch the car and bike, rollerblade or take the TTC around. You've also got much shorter waiting times for transit, subway stations, PATH, and other things that make a cold winter bearable. If you're living in Whitby or Burlington, good luck trying to get around without a car :p

Last edited:
The money I save from not owning a car, maintaining it, and paying insurance has allowed me to purchase a loft smack downtown where I don't need one. You should consider that.

I walk everywhere and have taken to cycling for the exercise but do use it for transportation in warm weather.

I've been here 9 years and it's as if downtown, winter is something I can live with. There's no waiting in windswept open areas for a bus to arrive every 20 minutes and if it ever gets too cold, there's plenty of places to duck into -- not to mention the PATH.

Toronto weather isn't nearly as bad as our northern neighbors up in Quebec or even Ottawa.

Finally, if I ever do need a car, I rent one -- insurance & maintenance free.

Like Second-in-pie, I only recommend owning a car if you have a family or if you really must live in the suburbs.

Seriously, bad winter weather is the one time you don't want to be driving. The odds of something happening, whether your fault or not, are simply very high. If you can survive without a car in the summer, you can probably do so in the winter, too. Waiting at a cold bus stop sucks, but so does starting your car 15 minutes before you want to leave in order to warm it up, and then spending that time scraping ice and snow from every nook, getting your coat and pants covered in slush and grime whilst breathing in exhaust fumes... ah, fun! I love Canada!

I've lived happily without a car for 6 years now, but I'm right in the downtown core. Rather than rely on "luck" in terms of how good your transit options are, make that a priority when you're looking for a place to live. The benefit of bigger yard or a few more square feet isn't worth hours of commuting hell every day, in my opinion. But apparently that makes me weird ;)

I agree, avoid driving in Toronto during the winter. There are so many whackjobs who don't put winter tires on their cars it is unbelievable.

Save you money, move downtown. PATH and the subway will be your new best friend!

Back