News   Sep 26, 2024
 712     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 780     0 

BMO Call Centre (Mississauga, First Gulf, 10s)

^How could you even think it?!?

Ten story building surrounded by ten acres of parking!

I'd be pissed!

http://www.firstmeadowvale.com/pdf/FMCC_SitePlan.pdf

Well the Bell offices at Creekbank & Eglinton started out with just three buildings, surrounded by a ton of parking, as well as underground parking. That outdoor parking is being gobbled up slowly but surely by more Bell offices. Two more buildings have been built since then.
I would assume that parking will also be gobbled up in a similar fashion.

I also find it strange that this will be Mississauga's largest office building. I would have thought that would be Sussex Centre.

hmm, that's brings up a somewhat pointless contentless question we like to answer on UT:

What's the biggest office building in every region?

For North York it's probably the Xerox center or Nestle maybe.

I'm surprised that this will be the largest in M as well.

I find it hard to believe that this is bigger than any single tower in MCC. I could see it being bigger than a single of the RBC towers though, depending on how wide it is.

Uh, yeah, I wouldn't be too quick to say that this will become the financial center of Canada. This is kind of the Slough of Toronto.

car_photo_18659_7.jpg

Unfortunately John Betjeman's poem doesn't work as well with "Mississauga", but is otherwise arguably appropriate:

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

I've always though Malton was Toronto's Slough. After all, there is Slough Estates and Slough Road there.

Last edited:
We keep hearing that Mississauga has learned from its mistakes. Projects like this make it seem like much hasn't changed at all.

But we have learned. This building will have two-way GO access by 2012. Didn't you read the brochure?

I think that one of the points is that it's sad to still see big companies creating workspaces for thousands of people in locations that virtually guarantee they'll need a car to get there.

This project would be a light-year ahead if it were built so that it's opening coincided with the commencement of all-day two-way GO service - with trains that were stopping every 15 minutes - and if it were built directly atop the station, and combined with shops and a major bus hub, but not necessarily a huge parking lot. It's the kind of thing that is accomplished in Japan and Europe on a regular basis, but which seems anathema here.

How long will it be until we figure this kind of thing out?

The GO station itself actually has more parking than what is proposed for this building. GO only cares about motorists, not real transit users, so I am not sure why you people expect so much.

Surrounded by a sea of parking. The point is that there's no reason why a building like this needs to have so much land devoted to it.

Then there is no reason why more buildings can be built in the future, to replace the parking.

^ Ironically enough perhaps, the main reason it is not being built in MCC would almost certainly be the high cost of building underground parking. Outdoor parking is obviously much cheaper, but is no longer permitted in MCC.

Locating a call centre in MCC would be waste. I doubt that call centres need the opportunities for face-to-face interaction that a downtown would offer. It is a call centre, its sole pupose is use phones to call people, isn't it??? It doesn't seem like it would make any sense and it is not the kind of use that any city should be encouraging in its downtown or wherever it is trying to create a downtown...

Last edited:

Back