News   Apr 23, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 305     0 

Blue Jays

what do you disagree with? Considering only 4 posts above this I made a post using WAR to prove my point, I'm not sure how much more knowledge you're expecting? Or are you a GenerationW disciple and don't agree with the well-known fact that a pitcher like Halladay can't single-handedly take a team to a World Series?

Oh and if you think you know way more than us, then by all means feel free to teach. Should be fascinating to hear.

I apoligize for sounding harsh. I agree with you on Halladay, but instead of arguing your point you should just givin him a tennis ball to bounce around. I disagree with you on Manny, he does not fit with the plan, and I don't think that is the right direction. AA is rebuilding, and is doing a fantastic job, Manny doen't fit on a team with Lind, Snider, Wells, and Bautista. It's to soon to spend like that, especially for a DH.

What do you think of going after Rasmus with a Marcum type and prospect(s) package. I'd also like it we took a serious look at Adrian Beltre at third as one of the pieces, though giving up some picks might not be very savoury right now. Obviously, I had have no problem walking away from Overbay, and I'm slightly jaded on Encarnacion.

Well I was on the fence about Manny. I still am. You basically have to feel confident in Lind replacing Overbay and I don't think we know yet how good (or bad) Lind can be at 1st (Moneyball has a really good chapter about Scott Hatteberg who had never played 1st in his life but because of his bat and his inability to throw due to injury, moved over to 1st and gradually built his confidence through playing everyday and good coaching). I think Lind needs to play there everyday next season, which would leave a hole at DH, which I guess you could fill with Arencibia on days he's not behind the plate, but otherwise you don't really have a good DH option. So Manny fits that role. As much as he's "Manny," apparently the guy is a great role model from a game preparation stand point, which might be good for the young guys to learn from. Cost is a big thing. Is he willing to take a pay cut? Maybe something incentive laden? Obviously the lower the risk/cost the better. Though in principle I agree that it doesn't fit AA's rebuild, but Manny is pretty damn good hitter even in an injury-riddled off-year like the one he just had.

I'd love it if they went after Rasmus but I don't think they'd have interest in Marcum. They have 3 good pitchers right now. From what I've read (so guys like Keith Law), it would take a really good bat as the foundation of any deal. I think you could put just about anything at 3rd base and have something better than Encarnacion. He's probably the scariest 3rd basement I've ever seen. Beltre is a good option, but I think the concerns about spending on Manny would be there with Beltre too. He's a Type A (but so is Manny), so you're also giving up a 1st rounder for him, which I can't see AA wanting to do.

Rasmus.. Marcum type meaning, a player that carries his weight that will fit with the Cardinals needs. Waving a top prospect or two as an addition would make any team consider their options.

Beltre.. 4 years 60 mil? There is room for this and plenty more. I'm on the fence with E5 mostly because of his offense. Move him to first base and take his throwing accuracy out of the equation. Give him 200 more plate appearances, and see what he puts up.

It's hard to add both players, what to do with Snider and Lind? I say package Lind for Rasmus or another said pitcher. This still doesn't leave much room for Snider, unless Bautista goes large and gets traded at the deadline next year. Adding one of these guys is a huge addition, adding both makes for some hard desicion making.

1B - Encarnacion/???
2B - Hill/MacDonald
SS - Escobar/MacDonald
3B - Beltre/Bautista
LF - Rasmus/Snider
CF - Wells/Rasmus
RF - Bautista/???
C - Arencibia/Molina

I apoligize for sounding harsh. I agree with you on Halladay, but instead of arguing your point you should just givin him a tennis ball to bounce around. I disagree with you on Manny, he does not fit with the plan, and I don't think that is the right direction. AA is rebuilding, and is doing a fantastic job, Manny doen't fit on a team with Lind, Snider, Wells, and Bautista. It's to soon to spend like that, especially for a DH.

What do you think of going after Rasmus with a Marcum type and prospect(s) package. I'd also like it we took a serious look at Adrian Beltre at third as one of the pieces, though giving up some picks might not be very savoury right now. Obviously, I had have no problem walking away from Overbay, and I'm slightly jaded on Encarnacion.

I'd stay away from Adrian Beltre. While he's not that old (31), he is approaching the end of his prime years. He also has a knack for putting up big season in free agency years, then falling back to earth.

Unanimous Cy Young win for Halladay. Those voters probably didn't consult with Generation W. :p

Pretty sure GenerationW is fuming that Felix Hernandez won the AL Cy Young too. 13 wins and 12 losses and he's on a last place club? What's up with that?! And Joey Votto wins the MVP?! but, Pujols had 5 more RBIs! What were they thinking?

Pretty sure GenerationW is fuming that Felix Hernandez won the AL Cy Young too. 13 wins and 12 losses and he's on a last place club? What's up with that?! And Joey Votto wins the MVP?! but, Pujols had 5 more RBIs! What were they thinking?

I hope you're being sarcastic lol.

Oh trust me, I was. But, sadly, it's an accurate reflection of GenerationW's baseball beliefs.

Yes, Hernandez didn't magically will the Mariners to a World Series Championship. Overrated junk!

Everyone: After noticing no activity in this topic about the Blue Jays in more then two seasons I decided to revive this topic here after
seeing the Blue Jays new/old look for the 2012 season-"Back to the Future" was the first thing I thought of and later I found that was
being used by the team to promote the uniform and color change for next year...November 18th was the unveiling date...

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=tor

I never liked the black based "Jays" concept uniforms and only the road TORONTO
uniforms with their blue/gray base and unique numerals were decent to me color-wise...

This change is a welcome one and the timing is good thanks to the upcoming 20th Anniversary
of the 1992 and later 1993 World Champion Blue Jays teams...A Reunion Day or some sort of
remembrance will be quite interesting...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Buehrle, Johnson, Reyes and now we can add Melky Cabrera to the list. 2013 is going to be a VERY GOOD year for the Jays.

The Marlins trade was a great deal. But Melky Cabrera?! I think Alex undid a lot of the goodwill he got from the Marlins trade (which included shipping out Yunel ('Tu es maricon') Escobar). Why sign an acknowledged (and suspended) cheater who hit .345 in the year he was caught cheating, but otherwise has a .284 career batting average and only 69 home runs in 7 full seasons? If Cabrera plays well, there will always be the question that he is cheating. If he returns to his career averages (.284, 10 hr), well, those numbers are truly average.

Back