News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.8K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 571     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Bloor Yorkville

I think that's a Botero isn't it? There's another in Yorkville that they move around occasionally, two plus-sized men with briefcases bumping into each other

No, it's by William McElcheran, represented by Kinsman Robinson. There are other examples of his work around town - at Brookfield Place, at Waterpark Place at 20 Bay Street, and outside the Kelly Library at St. Michael's College for example.

Internationally recognized for his bronze figures of portly businessmen, William Hodd McElcheran (1927-1999) devoted his life to portraying these self-important men of trade in different settings and situations. He took a good natured poke at the "rat race" and was continually fascinated by the dynamics of our ever-expanding population. His commissioned works can be found in churches, subways, and numerous public places worldwide.

Born in Hamilton, McElcheran received a scholarship to study at the Ontario College of Art. In 1948, he graduated at the top of his class and was awarded the Lieutenant Governor's Medal. During his early years as a woodworker, McElcheran focused on liturgical art as he began carving church furniture and pews. He went on to become chief designer for Bruce Brown and Brisely architects where he helped co-ordinate the planning and designing of churches and university buildings. His countless stations of the cross, bas-reliefs, and stain glass windows can still be seen today in churches in Toronto, Hamilton, and Guelph. As he began to seek other clients his work became more secularized, which led to his creation of the businessman. He spent little time in Canada, moving to Italy in 1975 to live in Pietrasanta to be close to the foundry and artisans skilled in bronze casting. In the early 1980’s his work became the subject of controversy after he created a life-size bronze depicting an unclothed mother, father, and child for the city of Guelph. He slept very little, preferring to devote as much time as possible to his art.

Yorkville: From hippies to highrises
Broadcast Date: Jan. 29, 1969

Another winter has come to Yorkville. The streets are empty of summer's youthful crowds. But this coming spring may not bring the customary return of the longhaired set. Yorkville is changing, and changing fast. As CBC Television reports, the quaint boutiques, happening coffeehouses and cheap hippie housing are all losing ground to new upscale shopping plazas, parkades and luxury apartment hotels. Are the hippies gone?

http://archives.cbc.ca/society/youth/clips/3203/

This is the TD Bank building at Bay & Bloor.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 1M2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 305327 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Nov 4, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building Addition

Description: Proposal to convert 20th and 21st mechanical floors to office space and construct canopy (encroaching on public property) on ground floor.

Doesn't look like this building at Yonge & Church is going anywhere soon, they just installed new windows throughout.

yandd.jpg

From KWT's newsletter

October 30 - Yorkville East of Bay Consultation

Planning staff are undertaking a review of the existing and planned built form context for the areas bounded by: Bloor Street, to the south; Davenport Road, to the north; Yonge Street, to the east: and Bay Street, to the west to establish appropriate heights for the areas outside of the Height Peak, Height Ridges and Low-rise areas as illustrated in Site and Area Specific Official Plan Policy 211. The review will also assess the existing and planned pedestrian linkages within the study area boundary as per Area Specific Official Plan Policy 225.

The next public meeting will be held at the following date and time:

When: October 30, 2013
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Place: Stone Church, 45 Davenport Road

New gray brick of varying shades are going in Yorkville Ave between Yonge & Bay. Looks amazing. Seems to be in a Herringbone pattern.

Too bad the Bazis and Minto proposals on this block will eventually ruin it. Oh well. I suppose it can always be redone.

New gray brick of varying shades are going in Yorkville Ave between Yonge & Bay. Looks amazing. Seems to be in a Herringbone pattern.

Too bad the Bazis and Minto proposals on this block will eventually ruin it. Oh well. I suppose it can always be redone.

I'm happy to see that after a long period of neglect, Toronto is investing in ornamental street and public space paving. It can really enhance a public space and the way people perceive that space--even if they don't explicitly comment on the paving. It has to be maintained properly. Also, hopefully it can withstand all the construction trucks needed to build condos. It depends on the quality of the bricks and installation, I suspect. Granite blocks can withstand high construction truck traffic (though not thin granite slabs like the ones on Bloor's sidewalks); we'll see how the concrete bricks fare.

Are there plans to do the entire street, or just that one block?

Does anyone have any pics of the widened sidewalk at Bay & Davenport?

I can't count the number of times I've crossed Bay at Cumberland, and had many close calls too. It's a very popular spot to cross.

Back