News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 851     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Just an article in the Star on the topic of Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn leaving Bloor St in 2015...

http://www.thestar.com/business/rea...amssonoma_pottery_barn_to_leave_bloor_st.html

Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn to leave Bloor St.

2015 departure blamed on escalating rents on 'Mink Mile'

Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn will vacate their giant storefronts at 100 Bloor St. W. sometime in 2015.

By: Susan Pigg Business Reporter, Published on Mon Aug 11 2014

Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn will vacate their giant storefronts at 100 Bloor St. W. sometime in 2015 in the face of escalating rents along Canada’s “Mink Mile.”

The exact date the chains will depart from 37,000 square feet of what’s considered Canada’s prime — and priciest — retail strip has yet to be determined.

The decision was made in the face of “the rising costs of real estate in this area,” said a spokesperson for the home-furnishings chain.

“Bloor St. (rental) rates have really escalated rapidly in the last 10 years,” says John Crombie, senior managing director of retail services in Canada for commercial brokerage Cushman & Wakefield, citing current ground-floor rents of about $325 per square foot on Toronto’s toniest street.

They would have averaged closer to $180 or $225 per square foot some seven years ago, said Crombie.

But even second-floor rents, traditionally a bargain because anything above ground-floor was seen as too far a climb for consumers, are escalating rapidly as Toronto’s fierce pace of intensification pushes retail destinations skyward to meet growing downtown demand.

Rents in some second-floor levels along the Mink Mile have virtually tripled over the last few years, from about $25 to $75 per square foot, says Crombie.

It’s not that retail giants like Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn can’t necessarily afford the rents, it’s that the prime location was worth the hefty premium just for boosting the profile of the retailer when it was new to Canada. That’s no longer as important. The stores have been located at 100 Bloor St. W. since 2002.

The brands will continue to occupy space at Sherway Gardens, Yorkdale Shopping Centre and the Eaton Centre. They also have stores in British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec.

Stores of about 2,500 to 3,500 square feet are considered optimum on Bloor, said Crombie. It’s unclear what retailer will move into the space — Apple has been looking for space on Bloor for some time, he noted — or if it will have to be subdivided, given its sheer size.

See my comments about how tourists and such don't buy from Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. Please read them. Rachel McAdams is not typical of Yorkdale. As I said originally I think W-S has a decent Bloor fan base... PB not so much. Wrong demographic on all sorts.

And Bauhaus - most old Toronto money wouldn't be caught dead in Yorkdale -its why brand like D+G and Dior are still interested in Bloor instead of Yorkdale. There's a reason Versace opened there first though ;)

W-S might have a "decent" Bloor fanbase, but the historical households would have purchased items at William Ashley.

I personally think this is great for the street. The reason so many new luxury retailers are opening at Yorkdale is because the mall can accommodate the space that several of these brands are looking for. Bloor doesn't really present that opportunity in a lot of ways, but that seems be changing. WS and PB could be divided up to do the exact same thing on Bloor.

Has the old Tiffany's spot been leased? There's some hoarding going up. Or are they doing this to keep the homeless out?

I am hearing that Apple may have a deal in place for the Pottery Barn location but not the WS part of the building.

Woulnd't 1 bloor be a better location ? maybe not/

I am hearing that Apple may have a deal in place for the Pottery Barn location but not the WS part of the building.

Interesting. The WS spot looks more "Apple" to me - easier to get that glass look, IMHO.

Has the old Tiffany's spot been leased? There's some hoarding going up. Or are they doing this to keep the homeless out?

Looks like it's just a homeless barrier - for now anyway. There may be a tentative deal in place and this is just a way to protect the property for a potential future tenant.

Interesting. The WS spot looks more "Apple" to me - easier to get that glass look, IMHO.

A lot of Apple Flagships are actually in older buildings (Soho, Chelsea in New York), their London Flagship. They've done a great job in London mixing an older building with apple "transparency". They either seem to want to juxtapose historical with Apple Modern or have a blank slate where they can do something cool (like in China, or 5th ave). In that regard the old University Theatre makes a lot of sense - I can see Apple doing some dramatic lighting here which will look awesome.

Apple. There. Really?

"Burnett, whose relatives also own Royal de Versailles jewelers at 101 Bloor St. W. has a wish list for the former Tiffany space. “Christian Dior would be nice and I think that they may in the future be interested coming to the Mink Mile,†he said of the10, 000 square foot, three-storey building. “I wouldn’t mind seeing Brunello Cucinelli; Apple would be nice.â€

http://www.thestar.com/business/economy/2014/09/08/mink_mile_is_selective_about_who_gets_in.html

That's the kind of marketing power Apple holds. They've positioned themselves as a high end technology brand, whether one agrees or disagrees. Ironically, they have a huge customer base despite their upscale branding.

Apple. There. Really?

"Burnett, whose relatives also own Royal de Versailles jewelers at 101 Bloor St. W. has a wish list for the former Tiffany space. “Christian Dior would be nice and I think that they may in the future be interested coming to the Mink Mile,” he said of the10, 000 square foot, three-storey building. “I wouldn’t mind seeing Brunello Cucinelli; Apple would be nice.”

http://www.thestar.com/business/economy/2014/09/08/mink_mile_is_selective_about_who_gets_in.html

I'm with you. I'm kind'a tired of hearing everyone wanting an Apple flagship on Bloor, especially that part of Bloor. If anything, an Apple flagship should be at Yonge-Dundas Square and Union Station.

Back