News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 917     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Me too. I didn't shop much at WS but I did at Pottery Barn. I think there needs to be mix of retailers on Bloor - WS and PB aren't uber luxury but I don't consider them mid market . I think it would be a mistake for Bloor to be nothing but highend luxury clothing stores.

The one store I don't get is Winners - that I would like to see relocated. But If Winners can survive on Bloor why can't PB and WS?

Are we sure that the landlord isn't getting greedy in raising rents? These are big spaces to rent - and its seems there is still a number of spaces on Bloor that have yet to be leased. Or is Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma simply not doing well financially?

Anyways, sorry to see them go.

Williams-Sonoma probably does better at Yorkdale with all the near by mansions and Mcmansions in the York-mills area. I liked WM but I couldn't afford the frying pan i really wanted. It was $400!! :eek:
You might see more mid market retailers moving into Bloor to fill in the gaps. Right now the only place in Toronto that's growing in uber luxury stores is Yorkdale Mall. Yorkdale is getting Canada’s first standalone Versace and Jimmy Choo stores along with the first Montcler location in Canada.

Too bad Bloor isn't getting the Saks flagship. That would have done wonders for the area.

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me if the Bay eventually closes on Bloor ! Imagine all the space.

I won't miss those stores...so, perhaps we should change the subject and finally mention the racist Eton window display that has made the news...photo and video in the link

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/08/08/shocking-storefront-display-in-yorkville-comes-under-fire/

Do people even shop at that store? I've lived within walking distance to Yorkville for more than 10 years and it's not the first place I think of when I think Yorkville. And I have to admit that I wouldn't have thought racism until someone reminded me about the historical significance. And I was a history major (albeit East Asian/Chinese history, for the most part).

Do people even shop at that store? I've lived within walking distance to Yorkville for more than 10 years and it's not the first place I think of when I think Yorkville. And I have to admit that I wouldn't have thought racism until someone reminded me about the historical significance. And I was a history major (albeit East Asian/Chinese history, for the most part).

I can't open the link. What happened? Isn't Eton fairly new?

Not a history major but a history buff, and I didn't "get it" either until I read the explanation

Remys

remysa10.jpg

Attachments

• remysa10.jpg
    remysa10.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 583
What do you mean, "...and"? It's clearly a photo update of work going on there. Very clearly.

Based on the scaffolding, it looks like it might be renamed "Rise Again"?

I walked next to it - this is marketing collateral to find a new tenant. Remys is no more.

Williams-Sonoma probably does better at Yorkdale with all the near by mansions and Mcmansions in the York-mills area. I liked WM but I couldn't afford the frying pan i really wanted. It was $400!! :eek:

Yep, there are no high income/net worth folks within the catchment area of the Bloor shop! Really?

Yep, there are no high income/net worth folks within the catchment area of the Bloor shop! Really?

I talked about this above. Most brokers think about Bloor in the following demographics:
1) Tourists - they don't buy home goods
2) DINKS (or young twenty something condo dwellers) - fashion and clothing labels are more important to them for status than All Clad pots and pans
3) Rosedale/Forest Hill Matrons

Of the above three demo types that frequent bloor Pottery Barn never really fit anyone and maybe W-S was a good fit for the third demo.

Its not that there aren't high net worth indiv in Bloor its whether or not they but home goods that matters.

I talked about this above. Most brokers think about Bloor in the following demographics:
2) DINKS (or young twenty something condo dwellers) - fashion and clothing labels are more important to them for status than All Clad pots and pans

Of the above three demo types that frequent bloor Pottery Barn never really fit anyone and maybe W-S was a good fit for the third demo.

Its not that there aren't high net worth indiv in Bloor its whether or not they but home goods that matters.

Agreed....that's why a lot of the dollars being spent by the group 3 on your list are making their way to Yorkdale.

Rachel Anne McAdams, for one, will be very disappointed that this store is closing....she was a regular there. I would be shocked if the high net worth folks in the yorkville area are not the exact demographic that is targetted by very high margin items at WS.

Rachel Anne McAdams, for one, will be very disappointed that this store is closing....she was a regular there. I would be shocked if the high net worth folks in the yorkville area are not the exact demographic that is targetted by very high margin items at WS.

See my comments about how tourists and such don't buy from Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. Please read them. Rachel McAdams is not typical of Yorkdale. As I said originally I think W-S has a decent Bloor fan base... PB not so much. Wrong demographic on all sorts.

And Bauhaus - most old Toronto money wouldn't be caught dead in Yorkdale -its why brand like D+G and Dior are still interested in Bloor instead of Yorkdale. There's a reason Versace opened there first though ;)

See my comments about how tourists and such don't buy from Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. Please read them. Rachel McAdams is not typical of Yorkdale. As I said originally I think W-S has a decent Bloor fan base... PB not so much. Wrong demographic on all sorts.

She lives near Yorkville in Harbord Village....while her celebrity may make her atypical, I don't think her income/wealth are at all atypical for the surrounding areas of this store. They are a purveyor of "fine" things to use in and around a kitchen....can't see why you think there is more of that target audience at Yorkdale than Yorkville.

But we can agree to disagree on that point.

Back