News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 851     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

The GUESS unit at 77 Bloor W is advertising "Up to 10,000 SF Flagship Retail" for lease.

---but I'm having difficulty finding any more details

Last edited:
The GUESS unit at 77 Bloor W is advertising "Up to 10,000 SF Flagship Retail" for lease.

---but I'm having difficulty finding any more details

Not news. That sign has been there for at least two or three months.

Wow - is the chain not doing well?

I don't think it's that at all. Their lease is expiring and it's a huge space that I'm sure the landlord would rather see go for a much higher price to a luxury retailer. You have to remember that that lease was signed during the last recession-ish so rates would have been much lower. If Williams-Sonoma is going you can be sure Pottery Barn will follow. Between those two spaces, we could see a HUGE improvement to the luxury retail mix on Bloor.

I don't think it's that at all. Their lease is expiring and it's a huge space that I'm sure the landlord would rather see go for a much higher price to a luxury retailer. You have to remember that that lease was signed during the last recession-ish so rates would have been much lower. If Williams-Sonoma is going you can be sure Pottery Barn will follow. Between those two spaces, we could see a HUGE improvement to the luxury retail mix on Bloor.

Williams-Sonoma is a luxury retailer. If anything, they will try to get something more mid-level market.

Wow - is the chain not doing well?

The chain does ok......from what I hear (decent sources) the 3 (I think it is just 3) locations do so-so. Surprisingly, the Bloor location did not produce great numbers until the last year or so in which it has really picked up......but facing a lease renewal in some of the most expensive real estate they are letting this one go. I believe Yorkdale and Eaton Centre are staying as is...so it is not a chain issue, just a specific location issue.

Anecdotally, the Williams Sonoma on Bloor never seemed as busy as the Pottery Barn. The reverse was true at the Eaton Centre before Pottery Barn decamped.

If Williams-Sonoma is going you can be sure Pottery Barn will follow.

Not sure that would necessarily be the case. When Pottery Barn left the Eaton Centre, Williams Sonoma stayed. While I don't doubt that both could very well leave, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that lease negotiations could result in Pottery Barn staying, if that store's numbers warrant it.

Between those two spaces, we could see a HUGE improvement to the luxury retail mix on Bloor.

I think the loss of home furnishings/housewares and upscale kitchen goods outlets would actually have an adverse impact on the retail mix on Bloor. I don't think it's healthy for Bloor Yorkville to become overwhelmed with luxury clothing and accessories outlets such that there is nothing else in the mix.

There was some talk (in this thread or the Hazelton Lanes thread) that Williams Sonoma/Pottery Barn were in discussions with First Capital to take high-profile (on Avenue?) space in a renovated Hazelton Lanes, being much cheaper than Bloor. Not sure if anything ever came of that (or if it was even true in the first place).

There was some talk (in this thread or the Hazelton Lanes thread) that Williams Sonoma/Pottery Barn were in discussions with First Capital to take high-profile (on Avenue?) space in a renovated Hazelton Lanes, being much cheaper than Bloor. Not sure if anything ever came of that (or if it was even true in the first place).

The WS employees on Bloor are being advised the store is closing...not relocating.

I know a few people working in the chain, and they say it's not doing that well in Canada, since the price differences between here and the US are quite insane. But even beyond that, it's not doing great in the states anymore either.....

Back