News   Jul 12, 2024
 989     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 857     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

There has been a lot of interest - as I mentioned - the people who own Stollery's would ask for a demolition clause in the lease term. As a result any "real" retailer that is looking for space on bloor isn't interested in the former FCUK spot. Why would a D+G spend millions renovating it only to be told by Stollery's that their building was going to be demolished. As a result the only lease terms are for short pop-ups.

From a pop up perspective summer seems to be quieter than the Fall - when there's a demand for TIFF related pop-ups and around Christmas, which as we all know is important for retail (I also feel like usually marketers plan pop-ups to coordinate with product launches and again you see a lot of product launches around the fall to ramp up excitement prior to xmas buying season). Not disagreeing with you that Bloor has high pedestrian counts during summer - just dynamics of this spot are really really wonky. If you notice the family doesn't even use a broker (like CBRE etc...). I think we're basically agreeing - i'm just triyng to provide some colour into why there hasn't been a full time (and why there probably won't be a full time) lease in that building.

Makes sense, what you're saying. Thanks for clarifying.

Basically, are people saying that we probably won't see an influx of new stores in the Yorkville area until 1 Bloor opens?

Basically, are people saying that we probably won't see an influx of new stores in the Yorkville area until 1 Bloor opens?

I hope not - that would be dissappointing - there is still space vacant isn't there - like the old Tiffany's spot? And who's taking over Jacobs in the Manulife once it closes? I also hope 1 Bloor retail is well designed and that we are not disspointed - it could really revitalize the corner and provide an anchor to the whole Yonge/Bloor shopping.

Tutti Pizzeria is opening in the old MBCO spot based on a liquor license application sign. The MBCO signs are still up, though.

10518176_551931044929543_668992096_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10518176_551931044929543_668992096_n.jpg
    10518176_551931044929543_668992096_n.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 794
The Four Seasons' retail space on Bay at Scollard has a LEASED sign up in the window. Could this be the rumoured Breitling/De Beers/etc etc etc?

Application: Designated Structures Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 1R1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 194176 DST 00 DS Accepted Date: Jul 22, 2014

Project: First Party Sign Building Permit Related

Description: To erect and display one illuminated wall sign. **Agent Provocateur**

The Four Seasons' retail space on Bay at Scollard has a LEASED sign up in the window. Could this be the rumoured Breitling/De Beers/etc etc etc?

Sadly no. I don't know the name yet, but we are all in for a disappointing announcement. For the flagship property of the world's most luxurious hotel brand, with two Daniel Bouloud restaurants, and rates that start in the $500's, it's quite the joke, the lease that was signed.

Last edited:
Sadly no. I don't know the name yet, but we are all in for a disappointing announcement. For the flagship property of the world's most luxurious hotel brand, with two Daniel Bouloud restaurants, and rates that start in the $500's, it's quite the joke, the lease that was signed.

Dentist office/plastic surgery clinic!!

Dentist office/plastic surgery clinic!!

No, it's retail. My feeling is that this space sat vacant for too long and the broker/property manager either got desperate or got too much pressure. Considering there was a mega-luxury brand that was seemingly millimeters away from finalizing a deal not more than a couple of months ago, this, IMHO, is a total waste. Combine that with the pseudo-chain restaurant in the other retail space in the hotel, and the Four Seasons blew a magnificent opportunity to do something really special.

No, it's retail. My feeling is that this space sat vacant for too long and the broker/property manager either got desperate or got too much pressure. Considering there was a mega-luxury brand that was seemingly millimeters away from finalizing a deal not more than a couple of months ago, this, IMHO, is a total waste. Combine that with the pseudo-chain restaurant in the other retail space in the hotel, and the Four Seasons blew a magnificent opportunity to do something really special.

What's the pseudo chain restaurant in the other spot?

Let me guess, some sort of generic chain that has a small footprint? Sunglass Hut? Rogers/Bell/Telus store? LOL that's pathetic.

What's the pseudo chain restaurant in the other spot?

Let me guess, some sort of generic chain that has a small footprint? Sunglass Hut? Rogers/Bell/Telus store? LOL that's pathetic.

No, it's not a chain from what I understand but it might as well be. It's an equally ridiculous waste of space in my opinion. I honestly don't know the name, but let's put it this way, from what I've heard it's no better than some generic retailer that you would find at any decent hotel.

BUCA has the other spot. They also have a space on King West and it's the same group bringing Jamie Oliver to Toronto.

No, it's not a chain from what I understand but it might as well be. It's an equally ridiculous waste of space in my opinion. I honestly don't know the name, but let's put it this way, from what I've heard it's no better than some generic retailer that you would find at any decent hotel.

BUCA has the other spot. They also have a space on King West and it's the same group bringing Jamie Oliver to Toronto.

Calling Buca a pseudo chain is not really THAT fair - they've been consistently one of the best restaurants in Toronto. (i mean momofuko is a chain if we're going to use the C word...)

http://toronto.eater.com/archives/2014/04/29/buca-tops-joanne-kates-2014-100-best-restaurants.php

Calling Buca a pseudo chain is not really THAT fair - they've been consistently one of the best restaurants in Toronto. (i mean momofuko is a chain if we're going to use the C word...)

http://toronto.eater.com/archives/2014/04/29/buca-tops-joanne-kates-2014-100-best-restaurants.php

Fair enough, but you see the point I was going for. My experience has been that virtually every Four Seasons around the world that I've seen has true luxury retail in it. I think for their home base property, in Toronto's luxury retail area, they blew it.

Fair enough, but you see the point I was going for. My experience has been that virtually every Four Seasons around the world that I've seen has true luxury retail in it. I think for their home base property, in Toronto's luxury retail area, they blew it.

I'd say it's just piss poor retail space in sqf terms. The Bay St. property is what? 1200sqf? Located in the corner where there isn't much retail to begin with? aAgh just blew the base on this one sky high. It's awful.

Back