News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Wonderful. I wonder how long it will take before it opens?

August 2014 according to the big sign in the window.

Also on the Bloor-Yorkville scene are the homeless folks camping out in the the old Tiffany's entryway. I chuckle every morning walking by, considering the square footage cost of the amount of space they are taking up would basically be the same as rent for a studio 4-5 blocks away in the Annex.

Zara founder Amancio Ortega Gaona buying first Canadian property in Toronto for $255-million.........150 Bloor St W.

He's bought Renaissance Plaza? Huh. Will we see further retail shakeups there? This doesn't strike me as the place to put Zara as Vuitton and Tiffany should do just fine for the owner of the building. I could see Zara moving into 1 Bloor East if they want out of 50 Bloor West before its redevelopment…

He's bought Renaissance Plaza? Huh. Will we see further retail shakeups there? This doesn't strike me as the place to put Zara as Vuitton and Tiffany should do just fine for the owner of the building. I could see Zara moving into 1 Bloor East if they want out of 50 Bloor West before its redevelopment…

I strongly doubt you'll see a Zara there. His real estate portfolio is fairly big and many of them do not contain any of his stores.

I heard a while back that lmvh, the parent company of lv, fendi and Dior was looking into buying on bloor. They're sick of paying high prices for rent on these high end streets around the world.

What's the deal with Stollery's pop-up (I assume it's a pop-up) at the old FCUK location, anyway?

What's the deal with Stollery's pop-up (I assume it's a pop-up) at the old FCUK location, anyway?

The old FCUK building is actually owned by the same family that runs the Stollery store. Its why it hasn't been leased out - they have a tight demo clause - no retailer wants to move in, invest in the building, renovate and be given an eviction notice. So they'll only rent out the space for pop-up purposes.

The old FCUK building is actually owned by the same family that runs the Stollery store. Its why it hasn't been leased out - they have a tight demo clause - no retailer wants to move in, invest in the building, renovate and be given an eviction notice. So they'll only rent out the space for pop-up purposes.

So they're taking over until someone wants it for a pop-up?

The Ralph Lauren Shop at Holts is no more.

Did they say what they were turning that into? Are they moving the Ralph Lauren shop into the new Holts Men's store?

So they're taking over until someone wants it for a pop-up?

Its their building so they can do what they want... They could fill it with stuff until someone wants it - the summer is quiet time on Bloor - so they could keep it leased until someone wants it for a pop up around TIFF.

Its their building so they can do what they want... They could fill it with stuff until someone wants it - the summer is quiet time on Bloor - so they could keep it leased until someone wants it for a pop up around TIFF.

They DO realize that they're an eyesore, right? Not sure who's worse - Stollery's or The Bay.

Also, does anyone know what the heck is going on with Bru? Is there some sort of naming issue? Right now, their name is covered up and it just says Espresso Bar, Gelato and Ice Cream (or something to that extent).

Quiet time with respect to what? I suspect summer is when Bloor sees its highest ped counts and sales volumes. I would also think that retailers would want to try to open up prior to Christmas, so summer leasing activity should actually be a bit higher. My personal opinion is that it's not for lack of interest in the space that is keeping it from being leased. The Stollery's team seem to be run by a bunch of curmudgeons who would rather see the space sit vacant than lease it out to someone who will make their store look worse than it already does.

Quiet time with respect to what? I suspect summer is when Bloor sees its highest ped counts and sales volumes. I would also think that retailers would want to try to open up prior to Christmas, so summer leasing activity should actually be a bit higher. My personal opinion is that it's not for lack of interest in the space that is keeping it from being leased. The Stollery's team seem to be run by a bunch of curmudgeons who would rather see the space sit vacant than lease it out to someone who will make their store look worse than it already does.

There has been a lot of interest - as I mentioned - the people who own Stollery's would ask for a demolition clause in the lease term. As a result any "real" retailer that is looking for space on bloor isn't interested in the former FCUK spot. Why would a D+G spend millions renovating it only to be told by Stollery's that their building was going to be demolished. As a result the only lease terms are for short pop-ups.

From a pop up perspective summer seems to be quieter than the Fall - when there's a demand for TIFF related pop-ups and around Christmas, which as we all know is important for retail (I also feel like usually marketers plan pop-ups to coordinate with product launches and again you see a lot of product launches around the fall to ramp up excitement prior to xmas buying season). Not disagreeing with you that Bloor has high pedestrian counts during summer - just dynamics of this spot are really really wonky. If you notice the family doesn't even use a broker (like CBRE etc...). I think we're basically agreeing - i'm just triyng to provide some colour into why there hasn't been a full time (and why there probably won't be a full time) lease in that building.

Last edited:

Back