News   Jul 12, 2024
 993     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 861     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I got a few books there over the years. The staff was hit or miss but they did have a fab selection of hard to find slow cooker recipe books.

What the heck is this thing, and why is taking 60 Bloor? Is this a pop-up?

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3510722

Building Application Status

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON M4W 3B8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 121802 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 26, 2014

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to vacant unit to create retail store "A & J Custom Tailoring"

What the heck is this thing, and why is taking 60 Bloor? Is this a pop-up?

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3510722

Building Application Status

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON M4W 3B8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 121802 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 26, 2014

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to vacant unit to create retail store "A & J Custom Tailoring"

It's concourse level no? There's no streetfront avails at 60 Bloor. Gap, Holts have the Bloor frontage.

Also Fossil is taking the Aldo spot according to Morgaurd's floorplan of the Holt Renfrew Centre. Link

Last edited:
Holts is privately owned - very had to know how they are doing. Twenty people from the store on Bloor is a tiny amount - they employ hundreds in sales stuff alone at that store. They also usually let go of seasonal employees in Jan/Feb - very quiet time in retail.

I was checking out the directory of oak brook mall in Chicago, which is an upscale mall. I noticed that the mall is not getting the type of high end brand invasion that yorkdale is getting. They're all setting up shops in the city on Michigan ave and neighboring crossing streets. I know we've been thru this before on this forum but, I'm kind of worried that toronto is going to be like Detroit or Atlanta or all these big rich American cities , where u go to the suburban malls to shop. Toronto is different in that our downtown is great for shopping and I'd like to keep it that way. I don't see Versace opening up a second store in toronto, or Ted baker or yurman. Bloor yorkville for upscale, queen for hip, and yonge and Dundas for the mall, department store experience.
Anyways, my thoughts. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like they're all opting out of yorkville to go to yorkdale.

Last edited:
I was checking out the directory of oak brook mall in Chicago, which is an upscale mall. I noticed that the mall is not getting the type of high end brand invasion that yorkdale is getting. They're all setting up shops in the city on Michigan ave and neighboring crossing streets. I know we've been thru this before on this forum but, I'm kind of worried that toronto is going to be like Detroit or Atlanta or all these big rich American cities , where u go to the suburban malls to shop. Toronto is different in that our downtown is great for shopping and I'd like to keep it that way. I don't see Versace opening up a second store in toronto, or Ted baker or yurman. Bloor yorkville for upscale, queen for hip, and yonge and Dundas for the mall, department store experience.
Anyways, my thoughts. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like they're all opting out of yorkville to go to yorkdale.

Nordstrom and Saks are both opening at the Eaton Centre... you're comparing apples to oranges. I suspect both Ferragamo and Versace will open in Yorkville. If you've noticed designer stores have continued to open larger stores on Bloor vis-a-vis Yorkdale. Burberry, Tiffany, Kate Spade etc... are all double the size of their yorkdale counterparts.

It's hard to follow this thread when it constantly stops being about Bloor Yorkville and keeps reverting to the same discussion over and over again about Yorkville vs Yorkdale, why certain retailers chose Yorkdale over Yorkville, etc... I don't mean this as a criticism of anyone in particular, and I completely understand why some people find it to be a very interesting issue, but it constantly takes over this thread every few weeks and it is always the same comments, hand-wringing, etc. Maybe I am overeacting, and if I am I apologize. But I would be inclined to either have a moratorium for awhile or even maybe set up a separate Yorkville vs. Yorkdale thread?

Last edited:
You make a point!!! Maybe it's also a way for them to test the market, start slow, before investing into a bigger, better flagship store on bloor. Guess I'm being impatient.

Holts is doing just fine. They're expanding their GTA presence with a store at Square One and Yorkdale's is one of the best luxury department stores in NA.
From what I've heard, the chain is still doing quite well, but the Bloor Street store, in particular, is suddenly not meeting their expectations anymore.

From what I've heard, the chain is still doing quite well, but the Bloor Street store, in particular, is suddenly not meeting their expectations anymore.

Maybe because they're spending so much many on other places and not doing much with their bloor flagship.

Maybe because they're spending so much many on other places and not doing much with their bloor flagship.

Not really entirely fair to say that they're "not doing much" (although to be fair to you, I know what you're getting at). There is a significant redevelopment proposal submitted to the City, which would provide for a larger new store, although I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the proposal is being redesigned to provide for a mid-block connection/view corridor.

But you're absolutely right that the existing store is tired.

They better get it fixed before nordstroms arrives. There's is gonna be a brand new spanking building. One thing about these high end stores is that they gotta dazzle you. U can't walk into an old store and spend thousands. It's pure psychology. :)
And I think you are right. They do have a proposal in the works.

Back