News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 931     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Not really entirely fair to say that they're "not doing much" (although to be fair to you, I know what you're getting at). There is a significant redevelopment proposal submitted to the City, which would provide for a larger new store, although I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the proposal is being redesigned to provide for a mid-block connection/view corridor.

But you're absolutely right that the existing store is tired.

Maybe the years are all blending in for me, but didn't they expand the Bloor flagship about 5 years ago when they added the expanded main level with the men's section? And they also spruced up other parts of the store as well? I think the store still looks good considering it is not a fresh reno. To be honest, I'm actually more disappointed with the new Yorkdale store. I was expecting something more stunning, like Hudsons Bay. That is a store design I really like.

Maybe the years are all blending in for me, but didn't they expand the Bloor flagship about 5 years ago when they added the expanded main level with the men's section? And they also spruced up other parts of the store as well? I think the store still looks good considering it is not a fresh reno. To be honest, I'm actually more disappointed with the new Yorkdale store. I was expecting something more stunning, like Hudsons Bay. That is a store design I really like.

I kind of agree with you re: Yorkdale. I thought the upper level would be really nice, but it looks like a slightly fancier version of the Ottawa Holts (ugly as sin).

Anyone know what's going on at the former home of Peridot restaurant/lounge (81 Bloor Street East)?

Remi's has closed for some big reno which is good. Yorkville needs all the help it can get these days. Since the old 4S Hotel closed I've seen a lot of places close. Yorkville is looking shabby frankly, but could turn around once the dust settles.

Shabby in terms of what ? The built forum ? Its been like that for years, the streets / sidewalks are long overdue a reno.

Or do you mean stores for lease, I didn't really notice any more then there used to be pre-new for seasons location.

Naturally everything looks bad in spring because the soot from melted snow and revealed litter is everywhere. But, in particular notice the businesses that have moved into the lower levels of the structure where Bellini's used to be. Some are simply vacant. When retail that you know cannot afford high rent dominate a stretch its proof that an area is struggling.

Any updates on 84 Yorkville Ave? I know the fire caused some of the roof and walls to collapse. Hopefully they can save it. I would hate to see another old building on Yorkville demolished for more condo's.

Remi's has closed for some big reno which is good.

The sign on the door says 'closed for renovations', but the windows are blocked off with black-painted plywood saying "coming soon: AA", which sounds like an all-new thing (and also, as a name for a presumptive bar, in questionable taste). Design by II x IV.

The sign on the door says 'closed for renovations', but the windows are blocked off with black-painted plywood saying "coming soon: AA", which sounds like an all-new thing (and also, as a name for a presumptive bar, in questionable taste). Design by II x IV.

American Apparel?

American Apparel?

The signage doesn't match their branding; also, their retail spaces are generally bare-bones – I can't see them shelling out to hire a firm like II by IV. Sorry, I didn't think to take a photo, but I had the impression it would remain a bar/restaurant.

The signage doesn't match their branding; also, their retail spaces are generally bare-bones – I can't see them shelling out to hire a firm like II by IV. Sorry, I didn't think to take a photo, but I had the impression it would remain a bar/restaurant.

I had heard Amber was interested in expanding. AA is Amber 2... just a thought.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5R 3T8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 134747 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Mar 28, 2014

Project: Retail Store Interior Demolition

Description: Proposal for interior demolition to existing retail store, formerly "Roots" and "Body Shop", future tenant Holt Renfrew to come in for fit-out permit at later date.

Back