News   Apr 25, 2024
 1     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Can you think of any brands that could honestly take over that location?

No. This is the challenge to some degree with Bloor vs. Yorkdale (though with First Capital building purpose built retail that is changing). Retailers have to fit in existing boxes as opposed to purpose built unified retail where brands can be shifted (by a landlord).

The new demising options are a bit more palatable. 5k and 3K for the first floor (Option B+C). That is more along the range of what newer retailers are looking for. I could see a retailer taking the second floor with a direct Bloor entrance (that's 11k square feet). 8100 square feet of first floor space (Option A) is huge and expensive (as ground floor rates are higher). Dior, Hermes, LV, Prada, grew store sizes by expanding upward, not gaining more ground space. The other challenge is the facade, which is gorgeous - but a big brand (like Hermes) or Gucci will most likely want the facade to reflect their latest designs. If I had to guess, I think we'll see a retailer take the 5K square feet and a retailer take the smaller main floor coupled with the second floor. But that's just my guess.

No. This is the challenge to some degree with Bloor vs. Yorkdale (though with First Capital building purpose built retail that is changing). Retailers have to fit in existing boxes as opposed to purpose built unified retail where brands can be shifted (by a landlord).

The new demising options are a bit more palatable. 5k and 3K for the first floor (Option B+C). That is more along the range of what newer retailers are looking for. I could see a retailer taking the second floor with a direct Bloor entrance (that's 11k square feet). 8100 square feet of first floor space (Option A) is huge and expensive (as ground floor rates are higher). Dior, Hermes, LV, Prada, grew store sizes by expanding upward, not gaining more ground space. The other challenge is the facade, which is gorgeous - but a big brand (like Hermes) or Gucci will most likely want the facade to reflect their latest designs. If I had to guess, I think we'll see a retailer take the 5K square feet and a retailer take the smaller main floor coupled with the second floor. But that's just my guess.
Cheesecake Factory should take over the 5K space and make it their Toronto flagship haha.

Richard Mille is moving into the second floor of the new 135 Yorkville- there’s been advertising up there for months, but there is now a notice posted on the door of the current boutique.

Also- there is now a ”LEASED” sign on the double height window of the old Pottery Barn space.

Last edited:
Sorelle at Yorkville and Avenue now has some signage up, and I must say- the mint green awning and gilt medallion is a bit desperate in its emulation of Ladurée. Interior looks great, though.

Few bits of retail news for Bloor:
- 162 Cumberland (Renaissance Court) is being redeveloped + renovated with a new tenant mix, tenants looking in the 1500 square foot are being pitched
- Alo Restaurant (currently at Spadina and Queen) is moving to 162 Cumberland
- The Scotiabank at Bloor and Balmuto will be split in to 2 parcels and will be redeveloped in to 2 retail boxes, Scotia will take one of the two, the other, the corner property is being shopped around to tenants as 19 Bloor Street West. http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/ArlinMarkowitz-19BloorWestFlyer.pdf
- Alaia, a shoe designer, will be opening a Bloor Street store in Holts that will have its own store-front on Bloor (I think)

- 162 Cumberland (Renaissance Court) is being redeveloped + renovated with a new tenant mix, tenants looking in the 1500 square foot are being pitched
- Alo Restaurant (currently at Spadina and Queen) is moving to 162 Cumberland
- The Scotiabank at Bloor and Balmuto will be split in to 2 parcels and will be redeveloped in to 2 retail boxes, Scotia will take one of the two, the other, the corner property is being shopped around to tenants as 19 Bloor Street West. http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/ArlinMarkowitz-19BloorWestFlyer.pdf
- Alaia, a shoe designer, will be opening a Bloor Street store in Holts that will have its own store-front on Bloor (I think)

I'd heard that Alo was opening a second location (or a third, depending on how you characterize Aloette), rather than moving; is they not the case?

Alaia is not only a shoe designer but also a full fledged fashion house. So it could be just like YSL opening next door at holts.

Interesting. That flyer is indicating Apple at "The One". I wonder if they knew this before all the recent hubbub.

Anyone know what the deal with Tutti Pizzeria is? Are they closed for the season or gone for good?

No. Holt Renfrew will be annexing the second floor space.
Aritzia is taking over the old BCBG space for a 11,000 square foot store that will run from Fossil to the lot line. That will make it Artizia's second largest space after Robson street. Both will open a year from now. Not sure of the existing access point escalator to the lower level that used to be in between Aritzia and BCBG.

Back