News   Apr 18, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

TeAlchemy getting set up to open where Nine West was on the south side of Bloor.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    724.5 KB · Views: 1,615
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 1,591
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 1,599
If you're looking for a truly voluminous amount of Apple-related rumour mongering, head on over and look back through the 1 Bloor W thread...

I certainly fail to understand the exuberance over future Apple retail locations. I get that it's a nice tenant to have and that a fancy-ish standalone store would be neat, but it's sometimes positioned as a panacea of sorts for a neighbourhood's retail prospects. The stores all look more or less the same (with a few obvious worldwide exceptions), are generally overrun by tourists (at least in other prominent locations in other cities), and are generally characterized by a flat, unanimated, exterior glass wall at-grade.

Apple is a company notorious for secrecy regarding its business, including the location of future stores. Therefore, anybody proposing to have "inside" knowledge about where a store may open is talking out of their ass, plain and simple!

If you're looking for a truly voluminous amount of Apple-related rumour mongering, head on over and look back through the 1 Bloor W thread...

I certainly fail to understand the exuberance over future Apple retail locations. I get that it's a nice tenant to have and that a fancy-ish standalone store would be neat, but it's sometimes positioned as a panacea of sorts for a neighbourhood's retail prospects. The stores all look more or less the same (with a few obvious worldwide exceptions), are generally overrun by tourists (at least in other prominent locations in other cities), and are generally characterized by a flat, unanimated, exterior glass wall at-grade.

Feel free to ignore the aesthetics and cult-like excitement over the brand but reports are that Apple can raise a mall's sales by 10%:

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/11/apple-stores-boost-malls-sales-10.html

For anyone with a stake in the area, that's something to get excited about.

Well, there's not really a mall in the area that would make sense for an Apple store, but I sorta take the point.

Perhaps this has been discussed here before, but I gather First Capital is interested in acquiring 101 Yorkville (the building that houses Over the Rainbow, among other retail and commercial tenants). That got me wondering about what they might have in mind for it, which in turn got me wondering what the Planning office's neighbourhood plan stipulates for that midblock section.

I did some searching on the city's site and couldn't turn up a definitive answer (i.e. hard numbers rather than descriptions of intent). Specifically, I'm wondering if there are height limitations for this specific lot. Anyone know if the answer to that query more officially exists?

I'd really hope two storeys would be a rigid maximum for any potential reconstruction or addition, given the character of this mid-block lot. I suppose FC's treatment of Yorkville Village should provide some comfort in that regard (insofar as they opted for a large-scale renovation, as opposed to a teardown or significant vertical addition).

If they repeat what they're doing across the street at 102 Yorkville, than we'd be better off for it. Having a consistent landlord on Yorkville that is actively courting global tenants will make a giant difference in ensuring that Yorkville remains a shopping hub.

For sure - my hope is simply that they do indeed opt for a similar treatment, rather than seeking additional height.

FC has accumulated a rather impressive stable of properties along this stretch. It's very interesting to watch unfold.

Kitchen Stuff Plus has taken over the old Grand & Toy location on Yonge, north of Bloor. An associate said they would be there for about a year, so it's a longer-term pop-up.

Raindrops, the rain gear shop at the Holt Renfrew Centre has closed.

We did a tour this week, providing updates on what's happening on Bloor Street West. We'll do one for Yorkville Ave in the coming weeks while announcing new luxury brands, and we're touring Yorkville Village/former Hazelton Lanes on Wednesday.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2016/7/bloor

Back