News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 879     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Nobody's saying Toronto has to be a shopping Mecca like ny. Nor it could be!!!! Toronto is Toronto and new York in new York. However nothing stops Toronto from being a fashion center with a variety of options for high and mid end shopping. Chicago is, Florence italyis and Athens is. Once Toronto starts getting more tourists, they will shop no matter what.

Toronto IS getting the tourists. Hence our earlier confusion, right? It's still far and away THE luxury shopping mecca of Canada. My point earlier was that it's surprising to see Vancouver as a launching pad for some standalone boutiques. But I guess I answered my own question in the following post.

Toronto IS getting the tourists. Hence our earlier confusion, right? It's still far and away THE luxury shopping mecca of Canada. My point earlier was that it's surprising to see Vancouver as a launching pad for some standalone boutiques. But I guess I answered my own question in the following post.

I think Vancouver getting (some of) the standalone boutiques has to do with demand - many from foreigners who have homes there.

I think Vancouver getting (some of) the standalone boutiques has to do with demand - many from foreigners who have homes there.

I don't think that's the case. Other than anecdotal realtor stories, there's no hard stats on the whole foreign homes thing. Actually you should check out Landcor. They have reports which show that Asian foreign ownership in Vancouver is actually quite low. The report is from 2010 so extrapolate a little bit to 2012 and won't be dramatically different. At any rate I'm way off topic again.

http://www.landcor.com/market/reports/Metro_Vancouver_2010_Report.pdf

I have a sneaking feeling (based on nothing) that the leased space on Avenue Road at Prince Arthur will be an Agent Provocateur. I remember a while back they were looking for space at the Hyatt but couldn't find the appropriate size. This looks like a good size for them.

I don't think that's the case. Other than anecdotal realtor stories, there's no hard stats on the whole foreign homes thing. Actually you should check out Landcor. They have reports which show that Asian foreign ownership in Vancouver is actually quite low. The report is from 2010 so extrapolate a little bit to 2012 and won't be dramatically different. At any rate I'm way off topic again.

http://www.landcor.com/market/reports/Metro_Vancouver_2010_Report.pdf

I have a sneaking feeling (based on nothing) that the leased space on Avenue Road at Prince Arthur will be an Agent Provocateur. I remember a while back they were looking for space at the Hyatt but couldn't find the appropriate size. This looks like a good size for them.

You mean the spot that was, at one point, part of Vera Wang or the old kids' clothing store?

Many Chinese settle in Vancouver because it's the largest west coast Canadian city.
It's the first one flights from Asia land at when they arrive it's also the shortest flight from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. That makes it handy for Chinese business people, and also for people who want to go back to visit friends and family.

I have noticed when vising my sister over the years more and more Asians there can't speak a word of English, especially Chinese. Its not as noticeable here in Toronto.

Many Chinese settle in Vancouver because it's the largest west coast Canadian city.
It's the first one flights from Asia land at when they arrive it's also the shortest flight from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. That makes it handy for Chinese business people, and also for people who want to go back to visit friends and family.

I have noticed when vising my sister over the years more and more Asians there can't speak a word of English, especially Chinese. Its not as noticeable here in Toronto.

It's not as noticeable because the percentage of Chinese in Vancouver is higher than in Toronto - not the overall Chinese population. I don't, of course, have any stats, but given that Toronto is a substantially larger business center with a larger Chinese population, I would imagine there is more business done between Toronto and China than Vancouver and China. Regardless, whatever the difference is in either direction it would be negligible and irrelevant to the standalone boutique topic.

Escada is already beginning construction in the old Mendocino space on Bloor (I work beside mendocino), the rattling sounds of construction are just a nightmare!

The Old Mendocino space is smaller than where Escada used to be. I recall someone saying on an earlier post that Escade was having trouble (globally - not just in Toronto) - hence the reason for scaling back. By the way, does anyone know where Mendocino is going or what is going in at Escada?

The Old Mendocino space is smaller than where Escada used to be. I recall someone saying on an earlier post that Escade was having trouble (globally - not just in Toronto) - hence the reason for scaling back. By the way, does anyone know where Mendocino is going or what is going in at Escada?

That's what I had heard too. In fact I think someone had answered a question I had posted about Escada because it's quite a big downsize from where they are right now. My gut feel is that Mendocino will move to either Cumberland or Yorkville Ave, and I think it's Dolce and Gabbana that will be taking over the current Escada space. They have already signed a deal for space on Bloor and that location would seem to make sense given its size (and even existing colours to some extent).

Escada filed for bankruptcy 2 years ago, even bulgari was having a hard time until an Indian investment company invested in it. Escada is getting out of Argentina ll together. I guess these are hard times for escada. Jimmy choo is doing very well though.

Yet another retailer that should be here soon. I could see Jimmy Choo either set up in the new Yorkdale expansion or one day when either Town Shoes or Browns vacates Bloor.

Back