News   Mar 28, 2024
 688     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 468     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 792     0 

Birch Cliff (Kingston/Warden)

Interesting to find this thread! As a lifelong Beacher, I bought my first home in Birchcliff (N or Kingston between Warden/Birchmount) nearly 2 years ago.

It's a nice little neighbourhood. We walk the dog ~10pm nearly every night and never have any uneasy feelings. Neighbours are nice.

The challenge is the Kingston Road retail (or lack of). Build it (open good shops) and they will come!!!

***To the original poster - what business took up shop in your building?

I haven't logged on for awhile so it was great to read all of the comments and information that has been added. I have found my building and the immediate neighbourhood a bit challenging so far. A big rough around the edges in this part of Kingston Rd. west of Warden. I have had difficult finding the right business for the storefront. Lots of offers to open up questionable businesses, such as a "Holistic Massage Center." I will let you know when it is fully functional. I do still think it was a good investment.

Hmm... If that holistic massage centre is legit then that might be a good thing. I do note that there are holistic oriented legit places not too far from there IIRC. However, you'd know best if it's legit or not.

Published in today's Toronto Star:

Notice Of Adoption Of Official Plan Amendment No. 83 & Notice Of Passoing of Zoning By-Law No. 222-2010

This refers to the stretch of Kingston Road between Vic Park and Glen Everest Rd (just east of Birchmount).

The No. 83 amendment changes 155 Fallingbrook and 1212-1238 Kingston Road from "Neighbourhoods" to "Mixed Use Areas". According to maps.google.com, this is a set of 2-storey commercial/retail buildings on the north side of Kingston Road, just across the street from Fallingbrook Lofts. So, it seems they may be turned into condos (probably with ground floor commercial/retail).

The 222-2010 zoning change changes the whole area to "Commerical-Residential". The building requirements will be minimum 2 storeys, with a maximum of 8 storeys.

I couldn't find this info on the toronto.ca website though, but I'm probably looking in the wrong spot.

Anyone see the new town house development just east of Birchmount on Kingston Rd (southside).

Thoughts? Looks like there are 2 rows of units going up.
www.manorgatehomes.com <-- Plans for the units are there.

Site plan

Looks reasonable, but it depends on price vs. finishes. One has already sold though, in the back row. I have no idea what the pricing is.

Also coming soon, on Danforth near there:

www.terraceondanforth.ca

I suspect these ones on Danforth will be cheap, because they're across the street from a gas station, and directly across the street from a very ghetto-looking car dealership.

BTW, there is a very large home going up on Fishleigh just west of Midland, right on the cliff and with a backyard view of the lake. It looks very modern, a little unusual for the street. I'll have to snap a pic of that place some time. It will be interesting to see what the price will be, as the one right beside it went for nearly $1.6 million four years ago.

Last edited:
Here is that Manorgate Homes development:

IMG_0321.jpg

Here are those big houses on Fishleigh overlooking the lake. Not sure I like the stone.

IMG_0318.jpg

Hi all...

Just wanted to make a note that there is another debate in Scarborough Southwest on Wednesday, April 20, from 6 to 9 p.m. at the West Scarborough Neighbourhood Community Centre, 313 Pharmacy Avenue.

Whatever your political leanings, just make sure you get informed and vote!
Damn I wish I had time to go.

From the pic, I kinda like the look of that stone. Is it only on the facade?
Probably, but I don't remember. BTW, the house on the right is the one that went for just under $1.6 million in 2007.

I'm not sure prices have moved far up in that area since then at the high end, but I could see the builders of the new house targeting $1.75 million or so. The issue is that the area is more in the sub $1 million category for new (albeit smaller) rebuilds not on the lake, and with older (much) smaller 2-storey houses just a few blocks away going for under $750000. That means there's pressure to keep a cap on price increases at the high end. Or at least that's my theory.

Last edited:
Did a mini tornado hit?

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...rio-leaving-property-damage-and-power-outages

Residents in the Scarborough Bluffs believe a tornado may have ripped through their community after swirling winds, uprooted trees and downed power lines were spotted. The tornado spotting has not been confirmed by Environment Canada, who issued a severe thunderstorm warning for much of Ontario earlier Wednesday evening.

In Scarborough, the Major League Sportsplex, a soccer dome at 641 Danforth Rd., collapsed during the storm, but luckily nobody was hurt.

I was in the local Blockbuster at the time, trying to take advantage of the 70% off liquidation sale. I could see through the big plate glass windows hurricane like weather. So much rain it was like my visit to the Costa Rican rainforest. On the way home I saw downed branches everywhere and a great big one piece which was either an uprooted trunk or else a huge branch, about 8" in diameter I'm guessing.

P.S. It knocked the power out, so they couldn't ring up the sales in the store, so I missed the 70% off deal. Doh!

This is several months old now, but I only came across it recently:

Toronto’s most underrated neighbourhoods: #4
If you’re priced out of Moore Park, take a look at…CLIFFSIDE

---

What residents of tony Moore Park get for their multi-millions is access to a placid natural setting, large houses and proximity to Rosedale. The streets south of Kingston Road in Cliffside can boast two of those three amenities. (So long, Rosedale.)

The Scarborough Bluffs on the southern border of Cliffside offer, by a landslide, the city’s most stunning view of the lake. Architect-designed mansions along the bluffs, some featuring private tennis courts and pools, are priced like townhouses at Yonge and Eglinton, and the more modest houses that make up much of the neighbourhood are even downright affordable. The winding streets of the surrounding area offer a variety of housing styles on landscaped lots, all within quick walking distance of the park system on the Bluffs.

---

I had originally posted it in the Haven on the Bluffs project thread. BTW, we're not sure if that project is going ahead. The site is all fenced off, with signs advertising the development, but one person in the thread has shown us a recent listing of the property/project for sale.

Back