Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

So what you are saying, is that these jets will be a lot quieter than the current planes?

Perhaps Porter could win a concession that the restriction be changed based on sound, and the jets are kept, and instead they ban noisy jets and propellers.

I wonder how the sound profile of the existing and proposed planes compares to the ORNGE helicopters.

Again, Porter isn't asking for a single change to the noise management policies or restrictions at YTZ. If the CS100 was in any way not in compliance with the policies that are there, they would have had to do that to be sure that they could operate the planes.

And the planes will always be a lot less noisy than helicopters. Noise is largely a function of blade tip speed. Till now high rpm on the main blades of the turbofans produced a lot of noise because the tips were closer to the Mach 1. Not so the geared turbofan used on the CSeries. The gearing allows the fan to rotate at a substantially lower speed from the core. Tip speeds are substantially lower. Hence noise is lower. This lets the CSeries be as quiet as the Q400. The ORNGE helicopters are actually going to end up being the noisiest thing at YTZ.

I'm appreciating many of the responses here that go beyond boosterist support or apocalyptic outrage.

The TPA is not the kind of organisation I can trust, and they have a far too cozy relationship with Porter, the corporate proponent.

I don't think noise, on its own, is a huge issue, it's whether YTZ can handle substantial growth, especially land-side.

We need to have this debate.

I raised the concern of whether Porter can handle such growth and change to its business model. Canada's recent history is littered with the remains of failed airlines; Porter seemed to find its niche serving short-haul, high demand routes and serving intraprovincial markets well. I flew to Timmins last September on Porter, the flight was nearly full! Apart from the once charming, now annoying ferry ride, there's little to dislike about Porter the way it is.

I would have expected Porter to grow more incrementally; a few more destinations, and/or a second hub in Montreal, Moncton or Halifax. This is a major departure from that model.

I'd argue that the only way Porter can truly be strong in the long term is to grow to a few select medium-haul destinations and cater to a higher yield crowd. I am not arguing for flying all over. We are talking a few flights a day to Vancouver, LA, San Francisco, Miami, etc. Places where business ties and high value tourists can drive yields higher without substantial growth in traffic.

The thing is, if they don't add some key destinations, eventually loyalty drifts back to Air Canada, when you have to book AC everytime you think of going somewhere. If Porter gets to the point where they can handle a third to half of all your travel needs, they'll be much more sustainable as an operation.

A second hub in Montreal is out of the question. Air Canada would simply bleed them dry through a war of attrition.

As for impact, going for longer flights also means fewer of them. A flight to Vancouver means that the place will do 10 hours of flying in a 16 hour operating day based on 1 departure slot. The same aircraft flying Toronto-Montreal would be doing at least 6 departures per day. Toss in the time difference, and we aren't talking many flights. I foresee two flights a day each to LA, SF, YVR, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Miami, Vegas, St. John's and Halifax. And I actually think much of that will be accomodated by reducing some of their other flights (particularly to Montreal and Ottawa).

Overall though I stand by my suggestion. It's time to view YTZ as an economic asset. Get rid of general aviation there (with the exception of maybe ORNGE). Develop the airport as a small commercial operation. With a bigger terminal, more ramp space but fewer runways. Once you do that, YTZ could actually support maybe 300 commercial flights a day and still have fewer actual air movements at that airport.

As for the mainland issues, I'd have the TPA submit a plan to remedy those and force them to pay for the entire thing. After all, the TPA is one of the biggest beneficiaries of the growth at Billy Bishop.

There is absolutely a way to accomodate growth at YTZ and more residents in the core. That requires give and take on both sides. That's exactly why I want to see GA gone at YTZ. Cessnas flying around are the bulk of the noisemakers at Billy Bishop. And people just don't realize it because the Q400s are far more visible.

Yea, the economics don't seem obvious to me. Maybe the jets aren't primarily for longer distance regional travel (YTZ-LAX) but just to get quicker/more flights in on existing routes. The C-series is quite a bit faster than the Q400, so maybe they figure they could get more fares out of a single aircraft? Most budget airlines still use twin-jets, right?

Cruise speed is not relevant during short-haul. Time to cruise altitude is. The Q400 cruises at 20 000 feet. An Airbus A319 cruises at over 30 000 feet usually. This is why Q400s can actually be as fast or faster than most jets on very short-haul. Like what we have operating out of YTZ today. But outside of say a 1000km radius from YTZ, the speed advantages of jets start's getting noticeable. A flight to Halifax is 20 mins faster for example on a jet vs. a turboprop. Doesn't sound like much. But if you have one aircraft doing several runs a day to Halifax, the 20 mins per flight could mean an extra revenue generating flight in the operating day.

LAX-YTZ is ~3,500km. The figures I saw for shortfield operations suggest ranges well short of that. Most of the Westcoast markets seem too far for a reduced range C-Series, and the rest is sort of flyover country. Maybe YTZ-Calgary? YTZ-Florida/Caribbean? Those routes alone though wouldn't justify a few dozen jets, so I assume most would remain on existing routes (NYC, Mtl, Ottawa) and just try to get more passenger miles in a given day.

From the existing runway alone, they'd get at least 1300 nautical miles. Not enough to reach Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Vegas, LA or San Fran. But certainly enough to reach Saskatchean, Texas, Cuba, etc.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?DU=mi&MS=wls&P=YXE,+yqr,+hav,+nas,+KIN,+aus,+iah,+dfw&R=1300nm@ytz

^I'm not an aviation expert, but I still wonder if the speed of a jet and the increased range (so, I guess, the ability to turn around without refueling) makes sense on flights as short as YTZ-YUL, YTZ-YOW, YTZ-EWR, etc.

It usually doesn't. As mentioned above, time to cruise altitude matters more. You're not moving very fast when you are climbing.

I also find it strange that Porter would want to buy larger jets while Westjet is moving in the opposite direction: buying Q400s to start a regional airline that would compete directly with Porter.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the aviation market. Westjet is buying smaller aircraft to start up a regional airline that will feed its hub. Encore will be to Westjet was Air Canada Jazz (now Air Canada Express) is to AC. Porter is buying larger aircraft to give it more range and capacity. This is askin to Westjet upsizing aircraft from its 737-700 to 737-800s (and now testing 757-200s).

Again, I'm not an aviation expert, but I find the business case to be a little shaky. Pulling this off is contingent on a multimillion dollar expansion of a runway into a lake and the purchase of aircraft that are still in development on a level that would effectively double the size of the existing fleet.

Again, poor analysis. To begin with, it's a conditional order. It was a Letter of Intent to buy to be more specific. It lets Porter reserve production slots for a very minimal fee. It gives them time to go through the necessary political and regulatory processes. If they get stonewalled, they don't buy the airplanes. There's after all no obligation on them to actually buy the aircraft.

Like I said, I respect the right of private corporations to make free decisions on how they want to run or grow their business. On the other hand, it's a two way street: corporations should respect that private people have the right to make decisions on where they choose to invest their money. Personally, I wouldn't invest in Porter's business plan in a million years. As a taxpayer, I have every right not to see my hard earned tax money used to support what I perceive to be a very flimsy investment opportunity without my permission. If they finagle a way to get some level of higher government to subsidize them, whether it's a sweetheart deal to purchase Bombardier jets or any assistance to expand their runway - I will vocally protest this.

Yea, I've got no real clue either. Notwithstanding Westjet though, the vast majority of low-cost carriers still use 737s or A320 family aircraft. So I assume the business case for those aircraft still exists on short-haul routes.

More seats = lower unit cost. A simple analogy. A minivan with 5 passengers still burns less gas per passenger than a sub-compact carrying two passengers.

Westjet's Q400 services are also targeted at very marginal travel markets. I've honestly never even heard of Castlegar, BC. Presumably their operating criteria on these routes only involve a handful of passengers per flight, so profitability depends on getting the absolute lowest cost-per seat possible. Different from Toronto - New York.

Again, a very poor understanding of the aviation market. Lots of competition on Toronto-New York. Not so much on Castlegar-Calgary. And those passengers from Castlegar will then have their pick of flights onward when they reach Calgary. The problem for Westjet is that they would need at least 80-90 passengers per day on their smallest aircraft (737-600) to break even servicing Castlegar. They need 45 passengers per day to breakeven with a Q400. Hence, the smaller aircraft.

This is not at all analogous to the challenge that Porter faces which needs to grow its business by servicing higher yield destinations, further away, from a highly constrained main operating base.

Ohh yeah, Porter's definitely tries to use public opinion to its business advantage. It's no shock they've gone with the C-Series, the Federal Government's little industrial welfare baby, as opposed to other narrowbody twinjets. I imagine a A319 with the same engine would have similar noise and performance specifications as the C-Series, but no political benefits.

People love to complain about Bombardier's "subsidies" which are usually just loan guarantees. Want to know why the feds do that? Because Bombardier is going up against Boeing which is backed by the US Government and its EXIM bank or Airbus and the direct subsidies provided by the European Union. All that the feds is provide loan guarantees for companies buying Bombardier aircraft to ensure that financing rates are competitive.

Conversely, of course, we could have Canada give up tens of thousands of highly paid, highly skilled jobs. I'm sure selling condos and cappucinos to each other is highly sustainable in the long run.....

That said, and I may have missed this, but are they expecting a public subsidy for the runway expansion? I assumed it would be paid for through airport improvement fees like the tunnel project.

I haven't seen any expectation of a public subsidy. I would expect the TPA to pay for it with their revenues from AIFs. They might however get a loan from the feds. That would be understandable. This is how Pearson built Terminal 1.

Also, Porter has actually funded improvements entirely by itself. It paid for improvements to the ILS at YTZ to ensure that fewer planes had to divert to Pearson during deteriorating weather. If it came down to it, I would bet Porter would pay the whole things themselves. There's enough of a business case for it.

That said, and I may have missed this, but are they expecting a public subsidy for the runway expansion? I assumed it would be paid for through airport improvement fees like the tunnel project.

Mandatory user charge imposed by a public authority (i.e. a toll) versus "public subsidy". I doubt they would get the latter, but I don't really see the difference. Like most P3 projects, it is likely to be "privately financed" on the strength of a long-term revenue stream that is funded by the public.

People are missing the obvious here, which is that if the airport runway is converted into jet handling facility then the potential for endless future expansion is an ongoing threat. This will have ruinous effects on all residential real estate value in the affected area. Right now the fact that jets can't land there is a buffer against the likelihood of that scenario ever happening.

Also, encroaching the Billy Bishop runway substantially into Toronto harbour, as well as the lake on the other side reduces the water surface of a heavily used recreational space used by marine enthusiasts from all across the city. And it degrades the parkland and public space around it. Why should the central waterfront--the city's greatest and most heavily used natural asset--be compromised by a such a narrow use that benefits a single commercial entity and an insignificantly small percentage of the population?

Finally, the continent's exemplar of visionary waterfront development, the City of Chicago, decommissioned their downtown airport, Meigs Field, in the last decade--a convenient facility much loved by the business community located next door in the second largest CBD on the continent. And yet that city chose to get rid of an "asset" that we are just now contemplating expanding at significant expense.

This unfortunate proposal hatched by a canny local entrepreneur flies against all progressive thinking regarding city-building and seems bafflingly counter-intuitive to any vision of civic improvement. For all the Porter boosters out there, please explain how adding jets to the airspace overhead improves the public realm and benefits anyone but the people seated inside.

Why should routes out of an international airport surrounded by miles of industrial land--and connected to the city centre by a soon to be completed rail link--be moved to a small downtown facility ensconced by thousands of homes and our most prized urban park? This plan has to be given a swift and permanent burial at lake so it can never emerge again.

But how much more could the airport be expanded, assuming that they were to go all out? Extending the runway is about the extent of expansion opportunity here, given the land constraints on the island and the sheer number of tall towers in the immediate vicinity. If they ever wanted to expand beyond what we have now I think they'd be looking at either a floating airport or a new island further south in the lake, neither of which make any economic sense at all. The runway expansion is the bottom of the slippery slope, not the top

But how much more could the airport be expanded, assuming that they were to go all out? Extending the runway is about the extent of expansion opportunity here, given the land constraints on the island and the sheer number of tall towers in the immediate vicinity. If they ever wanted to expand beyond what we have now I think they'd be looking at either a floating airport or a new island further south in the lake, neither of which make any economic sense at all. The runway expansion is the bottom of the slippery slope, not the top

This is the max you will ever get for expansion, period. Why? There is no more space at YTZ to park aircraft. Simple as that. And there is no foreseeable technology or aircraft program on the horizon that will get you any larger aircraft than the CS100, capable of operating within the noise threshold that exists today. This really is a generational leap. Porter is looking to max out Billy Bishop. Anything beyond this would actually constitute serious expansion of the airport and the imposition of much larger aircraft. It will never happen. And even those who favour Porter (like me) would argue against that.

This is why I don't get the slippery slope argument. It's really not physically possible to expand much more. Any further lenghtening of the runway would require extension of the maritime boundary, which will never happen. Any expansion to accomodate larger aircraft would require major easements to the noise abatement procedures and restrictions in place, which will never happen (rightfully so). And lastly, it's not in the interest of Porter to actually pursue any further expansion. At it is, what is proposed will take a nice chunk out Air Canada's and Westjet's behind by capturing good yielding Toronto origin-destination traffic (not the kind that searches Expedia for the cheapest fares and connects at Pearson for hours). Even with this expansion, Air Canada or Westjet would be severely restricted from operating at YTZ. They might run very specific Q400 flights in from their regional services (Air Canada Express and Westjet Encore), but they won't be capable of competing head-on (since they won't have CS100s to fly in and compete). They'll settle on lowering fares out of Pearson to compete. And we'll all benefit as consumers.

People are missing the obvious here, which is that if the airport runway is converted into jet handling facility then the potential for endless future expansion is an ongoing threat. This will have ruinous effects on all residential real estate value in the affected area. Right now the fact that jets can't land there is a buffer against the likelihood of that scenario ever happening.

I have yet to see one iota of evidence that property values have declined since the Q400s launched. People made the same arguments back then too. And with the CS100 certified to be just as quiet as the Q400, I fail to see why any change of aircraft would appreciably impact property values.

Also, encroaching the Billy Bishop runway substantially into Toronto harbour, as well as the lake on the other side reduces the water surface of a heavily used recreational space used by marine enthusiasts from all across the city.

The proposed expansion is entirely inside the boundaries of the airport today. If anybody is using the water surface near where the expansion would be, they are actually breaking the law. So no, there is no actual change of the recreational space used by marine enthusiasts (unless you're of the criminal trespassing variety).

And it degrades the parkland and public space around it.

How so? Has there been any decline in public attendance at the Islands or anywhere else along the Waterfront since Porter started up?

Why should the central waterfront--the city's greatest and most heavily used natural asset--be compromised by a such a narrow use that benefits a single commercial entity and an insignificantly small percentage of the population?

1.9 million passengers is "an insignficantly small percentage of the population"? Since when?

And if that's your argument, let's also get rid of the financial district and turn the place into one giant park. Of course, that would remove the very raison d'etre for living downtown.

Finally, the continent's exemplar of visionary waterfront development, the City of Chicago, decommissioned their downtown airport, Meigs Field, in the last decade--a convenient facility much loved by the business community located next door in the second largest CBD on the continent. And yet that city chose to get rid of an "asset" that we are just now contemplating expanding at significant expense.

Had that mayor not been buddy-buddy with the Republican President of the day, he quite likely would have faced charges for his actions. And Meigs field never had the commercial service that we have at YTZ. It was largely a GA airport with a handful of United Express flights. It's economic value was in no way comparable to what is there at YTZ.

This unfortunate proposal hatched by a canny local entrepreneur flies against all progressive thinking regarding city-building and seems bafflingly counter-intuitive to any vision of civic improvement. For all the Porter boosters out there, please explain how adding jets to the airspace overhead improves the public realm and benefits anyone but the people seated inside.

As a centrist voter, I take offence to the idea that there are some who claim to be progressive who will repeatedly try to define their narrow private interests as public interest. Good infrastructure is in the public interest. A condo dweller's absolute right to silence in the heart of the largest urban area in the country is not.

If Porter had proposed flying 737s or A320s out of there, I would have not only found it bizarre, I would have found it objectionable. I support this only because they are proposing a very specific platform that meets all the noise requirements currently in place at Billy Bishop. As such, I consider it in the public interest to support a rather minimal expansion (in the grand scheme of things) that will bring economic benefit directly to the core and indirect benefit to the region at large (like substantial depreciation in air fares that will enable more commerce and tourism in this city).

Why should routes out of an international airport surrounded by miles of industrial land--and connected to the city centre by a soon to be completed rail link--be moved to a small downtown facility ensconced by thousands of homes and our most prized urban park? This plan has to be given a swift and permanent burial at lake so it can never emerge again.

More downtown elitism. Why is your right to a slight buzz in the air while drinking your cappucino more important than my right to reasonable access to air travel by public tranportation? The coming UPE will be of marginal utility to most of us travelling from everywhere else but the core. It's cost won't do anything to benefit consumers at large. And I daresay the whole thing might turn out to be a moneypit for taxpayers too.

It's hysterics to suggest that there will be some giant international airport at Billy Bishop. I would bet my next paycheque that if and when the expansion is complete most people won't even notice (if there's no accompanying Porter PR campaign).

As others have noted, this probably takes YTZ to its max so (and i liked this phrase so I will steal it) we are likely at the bottom of the slippery slope not the top. Even if we weren't, though, the control over whether to approve further expansion would still be in the hands of the three parties to the tri-party agreement. If one (say, the city) did not want future expansion they could say no. Just like now, they could say no but really they should judge each request on its merit...this one (if the reports of how quiet the CS100 is are correct) does not seem to be impactful at all on the negative/noise side but could have quite a positive impact on employment.

Also, encroaching the Billy Bishop runway substantially into Toronto harbour, as well as the lake on the other side reduces the water surface of a heavily used recreational space used by marine enthusiasts from all across the city. And it degrades the parkland and public space around it. Why should the central waterfront--the city's greatest and most heavily used natural asset--be compromised by a such a narrow use that benefits a single commercial entity and an insignificantly small percentage of the population?

I was under the impression that the runway expansion proposed will be achieved without increasing the overall footprint of the airport. So no change to the marine exclusion zone...so, no decrease in the amount of water available for recreational space by those marine enthusiasts.

Porter's webpage said:
The airport’s current boundaries are marked by buoys in Lake Ontario, at both ends of the runway. This is known as the marine exclusion zone. The runway extension of 168 meters into the water at each end being requested by Porter will not change these boundaries. The amount of lake that all of Toronto enjoys today will remain the same.Finally, the continent's exemplar of visionary waterfront development, the City of Chicago, decommissioned their downtown airport, Meigs Field, in the last decade--a convenient facility much loved by the business community located next door in the second largest CBD on the continent. And yet that city chose to get rid of an "asset" that we are just now contemplating expanding at significant expense.

I get a bit frustrated when we pick and choose when another city is showing how much better they are than we are. Should we copy Chicago (a city I happen to love) on everything? Perhaps we should but would than not mean we are building lines of elevated transit thoughout the downtown as we close our airport. Of course we should not copy any city, but take a look at what happens in other cities and determine which practices best fit our city/region. Maybe it was an easier close in Chicago because they already have two international airports, both connected to the downtown by subway...I don't know but I do know that we can't just replicate what happens in "X" by doing it in Toronto.

I addition to benefiting the people seated inside the planes (who, I imagine, don't spend all their time inside planes...perhaps they even live, work and play in the city) it does provide a direct benefit to the 1,000 or so promised new employees...it does generate some revenue for the city...perhaps that benefit can be spread around to people not sitting in the planes.

This plan will have virtually no impact on YYZ.....if anything it will stall/delay any plans or need for a second Pearson (Pickering?) if we can add some flights/routes out of YTZ in the sort of (very) limited way proposed.

Last edited:
As for the ORNGE helicopters they are noisier than the Q400's although because they are used for MEDEVAC they would be exempt from any regulation although private operators can and do land jet powered Helicopters on the Island and no one has suggested they be banned.
I can see that for medical emergency flights, that the ORNGE monster helicopters would be exempt. But surely when the question comes up of where they are based, and serviced, that they shouldn't be exempted!

Does anyone know for certain is the marine exclusion zone would need to be extended further into the harbour when the proposed runway expansions are completed? (i.e.; is that exclusion zone a mandated minimum distance from the edge of any active runway?)

Does anyone know for certain is the marine exclusion zone would need to be extended further into the harbour when the proposed runway expansions are completed? (i.e.; is that exclusion zone a mandated minimum distance from the edge of any active runway?)

not according to the data provided by Porter

Insider tip, or Air Canada employee?

No, I'm not employed by Porter or Air Canada. Open source intelligence and some analyses is generally more than enough.

While "we" are discussing? First post ever to Urban Toronto ... so I'm not sure how "we" comes into it.

You are right, I never involved in discussions such as noise levels (yet) as I think there are more serious concerns to be addressed first. I'm seeking answers to the following:

1. Did Mr. Robert Deluce met privately with Mr. Ford on Feb. 12 and again on March 19 with officials in the mayor’s office to discuss the company’s plan to buy jets capable of long-haul flights and extend the island airport’s runway? (Globe & Mail, Friday April 12th, 2013).

2. Did these meetings included in the city’s lobbyist registry? Were there any other councillors aware of this plan? If not, what kind of secret agreements reached between Mr. Robert Deluce & Mr. Ford? Is this legal?

3. Is is just a coincidence that in 2012 TPA started to landfill "EXACTLY" where Porter wants to extend the runway? Did Mr. Ken Lundy, director of infrastructure planning for the port authority said at that time "“The Toronto Port Authority has absolutely no intention of expanding the runway� (The Star, Thursday June 14, 2012)

4. Who paid for that landfill?

5. How TPA managed to publish a complete webpage with lots of information and even with a Q&A.s section regarding "Tripartite Agreement and Other Issues" within 24 hours after Porter's announcement? Was that prepared before Porter's announcement? Was TPA aware of Porter's plan before anybody else?

6. Why TPA needed to conduct a economical study regarding Bishop Airport in 2012? Who paid for it? Why it is on the main page of the TPA web page now together with all other supportive information for Porter's plan? Doesn't TPA should be more objective? (By the way, I don't know if you read the complete report but I find it as an insult to intelligence of an average Canadian)

7. Does all above means Mr. Deluce already secured a secret deal with TPA and Mr. Ford ahead of time so he could make an agreement with Bombardier for his new toys? Isn't is little bit arrogant? Do you think Mr Deluce may say in private to his executives: "Who cares public, I already have a nice cozy relationship with TPA who spends public money to support me and Ford is my best buddy! Release the hounds, yippie kay yay....)

8. Didn't Mr. Deluce said it was “A dirty cheap trick" when David Miller said in 2003 that a bridge to the island airport would inevitably lead to jets flying in and out?

Expansion of airport may be a good thing, I don't know. We can decide only after some "real" feasibility studies done by professionals. Currently what is going on is a dirty sick political game at the expense of all Torontonians and I'm totally against it.

Thanks

The MEZ is determined by the airport's boundary. It's been the same for years. The only difference was enforcement of it. Now that the boundary is being enforced, boaters are finally becoming aware of it.

runway-extension-map.jpg

Back