Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I was at the Island Airport today to get my introductory lesson to flying and here are a few of my observations:

1) The ferry ride is a hilarious 20 seconds after a 15 min. wait.
2) I waited for the ferry with Margaret Atwood. She likes to talk about alternative energy sources. They're building a wind farm near where she lives.
3) Porter flight attendants are hot.
4) The new structure is huge.
5) The existing mainland terminal is nice, comfy...and empty. 3 people boarding a 2pm flight to Ottawa.
6) I stood 50ft away from a taxiing Porter plane. They ARE noisy. Not sure how noisy they are at a distance but both take off and landing were deafening while on the tarmac.
7) Porter flight attendants are hot.
8) Flying over Toronto almost made me cry. What a beautiful city. I came around north of the CBD and banked left all around it to get a good view

n503910800_3055059_1442701.jpg

of course a plane will be noisy when you're only 50 feet away from it.

As for knowing how many people were going to Ottawa, I'm not sure how you were able to determine that without being in Porter's lounge or on the flight. Not to mention, how would you know the flight was going to Ottawa?

Also, how would you know what the lounge looked like and whether it was comfy? The island air school is no where near porter's lounge, and you wouldn't have been allowed in to the lounge without a boarding pass.

I mean, if you have good answers then ok, but it smells a bit fishy.

As for knowing how many people were going to Ottawa, I'm not sure how you were able to determine that without being in Porter's lounge or on the flight. Not to mention, how would you know the flight was going to Ottawa?

Also, how would you know what the lounge looked like and whether it was comfy? The island air school is no where near porter's lounge, and you wouldn't have been allowed in to the lounge without a boarding pass.

I notice, however, you are not disputing his opinion on the hotness of the Porter FAs

My fault, I mistook the lounge for the mainland area where you wait for the ferry. There's a Porter counter in there and flight attendants waiting to get to the island. It's a lounge but I guess it makes sense that there's one where you wait for your flight.

I overheard one of the 3 people on the ferry talking on their phone saying they're on an empty flight to Ottawa. Margaret Attwood was also going on that flight.

Regarding the noise, notice in addition to being 50 ft away from the plane, I also watched take offs and landings and both were quite noisy, even from within the Cesna172 I was taxiing to the runway. The noise of the Porter plane could be heard quite loudly over my own prop and engine spinning.

There's a check-in counter for US-bound flights on the mainland. I guess since there's a bit more formality in the check-in, it saves time, especially for the line-ups for people on the bread-and-butter domestic flights.

My return from Chicago was light (19:00 CDT from MDW) - only 15 or so passengers.

I was at the Island Airport today to get my introductory lesson to flying and here are a few of my observations:

1) The ferry ride is a hilarious 20 seconds after a 15 min. wait.
2) I waited for the ferry with Margaret Atwood. She likes to talk about alternative energy sources. They're building a wind farm near where she lives.
4) The new structure is huge.
5) The existing mainland terminal is nice, comfy...and empty. 3 people boarding a 2pm flight to Ottawa.
6) I stood 50ft away from a taxiing Porter plane. They ARE noisy. Not sure how noisy they are at a distance but both take off and landing were deafening while on the tarmac.
7) Porter flight attendants are hot.
8) Flying over Toronto almost made me cry. What a beautiful city. I came around north of the CBD and banked left all around it to get a good view

Well, I guess it's all relative, but...

1) The rush hour traffic to Pearson is never hilarious - and way over 20 minutes from where I live.
2) I was in the lounge with Jean Chretien. He didn't bore anyone about windmill stories. He was charming to anyone who spoke with him.
4) The new structure is way smaller than the new terminal at Pearson.
5) The actual terminal lounge is nice and comfy. Lots of goodies to drink, newspapers to read, internet access, chairs to snooze in.
6) I stood 50 feet from a moving GO train. They ARE noisy.
7) Porter flight attendants are friendly.
8) TO sure does look great from the air - and from a window seat on a Porter flight.

(Take this with the ;) that is intended)

My fault, I mistook the lounge for the mainland area where you wait for the ferry. There's a Porter counter in there and flight attendants waiting to get to the island. It's a lounge but I guess it makes sense that there's one where you wait for your flight.

I overheard one of the 3 people on the ferry talking on their phone saying they're on an empty flight to Ottawa. Margaret Attwood was also going on that flight.

Regarding the noise, notice in addition to being 50 ft away from the plane, I also watched take offs and landings and both were quite noisy, even from within the Cesna172 I was taxiing to the runway. The noise of the Porter plane could be heard quite loudly over my own prop and engine spinning.

ok that makes more sense. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be difficult, but just thought it was a strange description. Although, I'm not really sure how people on the ferry would know how many people were on the flight. It'd be impossible to get that info from the automatic checkin. I also doubt there were 3 people on a flight to Ottawa, no matter the time. I can't really remember that ever happening when I was there, but who maybe it was a really really slow day.

and ya Porter's planes can be loud on the ground.

There's a check-in counter for US-bound flights on the mainland. I guess since there's a bit more formality in the check-in, it saves time, especially for the line-ups for people on the bread-and-butter domestic flights.

I believe that the U.S. check-in counter on the mainland side is there because 1) you cannot check-in online for U.S. flights and 2) the U.S. is being very picky about having the list of passengers well before the flight takes off -- which means that Porter has to strictly enforce the "check in at least one hour before your flight" rule.

I also doubt there were 3 people on a flight to Ottawa, no matter the time.

The mid-afternoon flights have almost always had light loads whenever I have flown to Ottawa or Montreal. I've often been on flights with less than 10 people. On the other hand, the early morning and late afternoon time slots tend to be a lot busier, if not full (and I often have to pay a substantial premium to get on the flights).

Air Canada posted another drop in profit (39%), meanwhile Porter continues to, apparently, be profitable and is expanding it's operation.

Could the sound level be a result of the propeller pitch. Short lived on landing and lasting longer on takeoff, the various pitch angles will produce more noise IIRC.

Yeah, once airborne about 100 ft up, the noise seems to abate. I'm not saying it's a huge problem for waterfront dwellers but they're definitely not silent like Porter claims they are.

I remember during the airshow a couple of years back, Porter showed off their plane and it was as quiet as a bunny. Of course they were probably just gliding past the audience, maintaining altitude with a low throttle.

In practice, if you live near the airport, you'll be hearing the noisy takeoffs and landings. Anywhere past maybe Spadina, the noise will go unnoticed.

I just hope they don't introduce jets. Then we'll have a problem for the entire waterfront.

Air Canada posted another drop in profit (39%), meanwhile Porter continues to, apparently, be profitable and is expanding it's operation.

More evidence that Porter is doing well:

Porter proves stiff competition for Air Canada, Westjet
Mr. Doerksen estimates Porter’s seat share on flights between Toronto and Montreal by all three competitors has grown from 12% to 20%, and from 19% to 24% between Toronto and Ottawa since 2007. These gains have not only been made by fending off WestJet’s expansion, but by eating into the business travel market of Air Canada, he added....“In our opinion, Air Canada has seen a greater impact since we believe Porter is attracting a meaningful share of Air Canada’s higher yielding business travelers,” he goes on to say.

Yeah, once airborne about 100 ft up, the noise seems to abate. I'm not saying it's a huge problem for waterfront dwellers but they're definitely not silent like Porter claims they are.

I remember during the airshow a couple of years back, Porter showed off their plane and it was as quiet as a bunny. Of course they were probably just gliding past the audience, maintaining altitude with a low throttle.

Prop pitch is set to fine on take off which would give you less noise not more. And the Island's noise abatement procedures for departures do take care off a lot of the noise impact on the airport and its surroundings. At a 100 ft AGL the pitch of the prop has not changed at all. It's just that the Q400 really is that quiet. It operates within the contours set for the Island airport and is probably one of the few commercial aircraft that would be able to do so.

As for the air show demo...cruise at low altitude and low speed is bound to be relative quiet anyway. Most of the noise in that scenario was probably from airframe drag and not the engines.

at small piece on porter over at blogTO.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/05/the_porter_airport/

The recession has a lot of businesses panicking - the fashion industry is apparently on the verge of a meltdown, restaurant owners have even more reasons to wake up screaming, and the airlines are apparently hugging the panic button even more closely than usual. That isn't stopping Porter from building a shiny new terminal at the Toronto City Centre Airport, though, a big new facility I've had a chance to watch take shape since I've been spending a lot of time at the Island Airport lately, not going anywhere.

Until about a year ago, I was regularly flying to New York and Los Angeles to cover movie junkets, a perk that ended for good when I got laid off earlier this year. Except for the whole thing about sitting in a cramped seat for five hours breathing recycled air and watching bad movies, I really enjoyed being a frequent flyer, so much so that I've found myself killing a few hours every week or two by hopping on the ferry with the Porter passengers and wandering around the concrete and asphalt perimeter of the airport with my camera.

Unaccustomed as I am nowadays to kind thoughts of Mayor Miller, I'm grateful for his adamant but unsuccessful opposition to the Island Airport's existence, mostly because it resulted in an upgraded car ferry and terminal instead of a bridge over the Western Channel that would have completely downgraded the buzz I get from my day trips. Leaving every fifteen minutes on the hour, the airport ferry gives you the incomparable sensation of setting off on a journey without a) taking an unspeakably long, tedious amount of time, or b) costing anything.

Porter passengers give off a quietly self-satisfied vibe that probably comes from knowing that they've sidestepped the slaughterhouse cattle chute experience at Pearson, and have Porter's dignified little departures lounge waiting for them, with its free espresso machine and shortbread bars. It's off limits for me without a boarding pass, so I make my way outside, where the airport's shabby original terminal building sits, a classic bit of pre-war airport architecture with the old control tower crowning its roof.

The building is a bit overwhelmed with the new Porter terminal taking shape behind it, but I remember when it was the airport's sole departure lounge, many years ago, when I flew on a City Express Dash-8 from the island to Newark. Today it's home to a Druxy's, and the sole lunch spot for island airport staff who have impromptu meetings there, dressed in the classic engineer's uniform of belted khakis and short-sleeved dress shirts.

The TV is tuned to soaps, and the aerial for the set hangs from the Norwegian flag mounted to a Toronto Historical Board plaque commemorating the Royal Norwegian Air Force, who made the island their home during World War Two. The door that led to the tarmac where my Newark flight once boarded now faces the back of the Porter terminal construction site, which is supposed to be finished by November, according to a worker on the site.

The old Island ferry is still there, tied up and rusting away by the eastern end of the channel, just by the derelict Dash-7 that's been parked by the water for ages, one of its four propellers missing. It's a good spot to shoot skyline photos that don't duplicate the standard, head-on panorama taken from Algonquin or Olympic Island, and once you're finished snapping, there isn't much to do besides head down the concrete strip edging the channel past the Porter hangars toward the new control tower. This is where private plane owners go for access to their Beechcraft, Cessnas and Pipers, and where limos slip in and out with brisk efficiency, picking up and dropping off their wealthy passengers.

Private plane owners are a breed apart - the little parking strips at the island are usually host to a mix of luxury sedans, showy Lamborghinis and Porsches, and ostentatiously customized motorcycles, while on the discreet end you'll have the Mini owner whose vanity plate features the call sign of his plane. Finally, though, it's time to get in line with them by the ferry dock and head across the water back to the city; there's not a lot you can do on the scant strip of publicly accessible concrete on the island, but there aren't many places you can go for a vacation for the cost of a smoked meat sandwich and a bag of chips.

20090522-IslandAirport-PorterTerminal.jpg

Back