Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I don't think they'd need to pay the city anything. The city exists at the provinces will.
There's a reason I mentioned Ontario place in that comment, because had Chow not backed off, the city could have fought that expropriation for a long-time causing delay to the build of the spa.
Could they hypothetically hand wave something into law to take over the land? Unless the province is going to absorb the city itself, I'm not a lawyer, but expropriation law is pretty well settled. It would be hard to find a way to do so

There's a reason I mentioned Ontario place in that comment, because had Chow not backed off, the city could have fought that expropriation for a long-time causing delay to the build of the spa.
Could they hypothetically hand wave something into law to take over the land? Unless the province is going to absorb the city itself, I'm not a lawyer, but expropriation law is pretty well settled. It would be hard to find a way to do so
Fought it how? The Ontario courts have made it clear, and recently, that what the province says goes where municipalities are concerned.

Fought it how? The Ontario courts have made it clear, and recently, that what the province says goes where municipalities are concerned.
Well yes but no.
The Ontario Government can change laws relating to the city they made at any time. Including the borders of cities and election law.

What they didnt say was that the province could simply take land owned by the city.
The Ford government is expected to table legislation that would expropriate the land from the city and give it $8 million in return, Global News has learned.

The land has to be owned by someone.
When I mentioned a hypothetical where they wouldn't need to expropriate, I meant things like redefining city borders to specifically exclude Ontario Place.
That is most likely illegal though because of property rights.

That said, expropriation is the most likely way forward if the lease isnt renewed

So like I dont think its ever been the case where 2 entities want to expropriate the same property at the same time LOL.

But my guess would be that ford intervenes which backs PP away since its not really his fight.

I don't think (but don't know for certain) that the provincial government would have the ability to expropriate this land for the purpose of running an airport, since airports are core federal responsibility. Typically a government authority can only expropriate land for purposes that it's authorized to pursue.

I don't think (but don't know for certain) that the provincial government would have the ability to expropriate this land for the purpose of running an airport, since airports are core federal responsibility. Typically a government authority can only expropriate land for purposes that it's authorized to pursue.
Again not a lawyer, this could be the case, if it is. PP will expropriate instead of ford

I'm pro runway expansion (like Chow) so

Is that what our Mayor is in favour of.............? LOL

.... I assume I'm at odds with the rest of Urban_Toronto on this one also?

There are far more issues at play that whether some or all of the current airport lands might one day be park space.............

Its a good deal more complex.

Again not a lawyer, this could be the case, if it is. PP will expropriate instead of ford
Maybe, but Ford cares about Toronto in a petty personal way that PP does not. It may not be a top-of-mind issue for a federal Conservative government (though as pointed out above, the owner of Porter is well-connected with them, so it may be).

Is that what our Mayor is in favour of.............? LOL

Yup. I was surprised to read it too. But Chow is 100% in favour of a limited runway expansion for safety reasons. She said she's not in favour of expanding airport or jets or anything else but IS in favour of runway lengthening for safety reasons.

Yup. I was surprised to read it too. But Chow is 100% in favour of a limited runway expansion for safety reasons. She said she's not in favour of expanding airport or jets or anything else but IS in favour of runway lengthening for safety reasons.

That's key.

Which is different, as you note, from broadly supporting airport expansion.

I would also clarify that there are different versions of RESA compliance and its important to understand both the short-term and longer term consequences of them all, which may extend well beyond the obvious.

Back