Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Indeed, I live at Fleet and Fort York, just northwest of the airport, much closer than King and Spadina, I have never once at any time heard ANY noise from the airport while inside my building. If, living this close to it, I can't hear anything, frankly I'm left to think that everybody complaining is either whining/making it up, or they live right next to it (in which case, that's their decision, not porter's fault).

Do you hear the freeway? Any city noise at all? Do you never open your windows? Do you hear music from any other apartments? It seems like a pretty solid insulation job was done on your place.

Neither Porter nor any other resident of any city anywhere has ever 'promised' not to interfere with any other use of the city at any time.

Porter and Ports Toronto did indeed promise that the airport would be quiet and Porter did promise that they would not pursue jets.

I would go searching for the quotes but I get the impression that you already have your mind made up and would just move the goal posts.

Last edited:
To be fair when the most vocal of you neighbors call for your outright closure the relationship would already be a little antagonistic.

i know, but who you identify as your principal opponent says a lot about your own position. (for example, some right wingers equate all Muslims with terrorists. they want us dead; this is war.)

it was telling to me that Ports Toronto kept equating NoJetsTO with CommunityAIR. AFAIK, lots of NoJets people take Porter. they don't want the airport closed. No ComAIR person would be caught dead taking Porter.

I also think it's interesting that in the end NoJetsTO got more traction than CommunityAIR.

Porter and Ports Toronto did indeed promise that the airport would be quiet and Porter did promise that they would not pursue jets.

Porter/YTZ's "quietness" though doesn't mean they will literally never make loud noises.

Simply pointing out isolated instances where a plane interfered with your daily routine doesn't mean Porter/YTZ is unreasonably noisy.

Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 1.55.21 PM.png

Joe Cressy's comments on twitter:

"Today we heard from the Toronto Port Authority. They have acknowledged that they are ending all work related to the jets proposal. This represents the final move to bring an end to this debate. Jets will not fly out of an expanded island airport. Our City can now return to the work of ensuring existing airport operations better fit in with the city, neighbourhood & waterfront. More work needs to be done to ensure that existing operations work better in the context of the neighbourhood and the city. At City Hall, I am excited to re-focus all our energy on working together to continue to revitalize our waterfront and improve our city."

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 1.55.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 1.55.21 PM.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 487
They are going to complete the technical reports, and present that data, and forgo and public consultations which would have been a shit show to begin with.

Do you hear the freeway? Any city noise at all? Do you never open your windows? Do you hear music from any other apartments? It seems like a pretty solid insulation job was done on your place.

Lived at Fort York and Spadina. Couldn't hear a thing when the doors were closed. And really had to pay attention when standing on the balcony. Condo faced the waterfront.

Lived at Fort York and Spadina. Couldn't hear a thing when the doors were closed. And really had to pay attention when standing on the balcony. Condo faced the waterfront.

I lived at Fort York and Fleet having bought before Porter was announced. Landing aircraft frequently woke me up over an hour before the alarm went off (not something that happened prior to Porter expansion despite the flight school having generally louder aircraft). Leaving the door/window open during the day made phone conversations challenging at times; again landing aircraft were most of the problem.

Air in that area was also pretty horrible due, I think, to Gardiner. Very fine black particulate everywhere; really gross blowing your nose in the morning.

End result of those 2 items is I moved.

Last edited:
I think it's 6:45, but it might be 7. Also after 11 pm. But those rules are broken all of the time.

Also, in the morning, they start running the engines about 6:30 -- it's my alarm clock.

Isn't there a landing ban before 7am?

Sure and they stop at something like 11pm IIRC (I left that area 6 years ago). What time do you wake up on Saturday/Sunday? Even when you've got a flu? How about when you were forced to work late the night before (software deployments frequently occur overnight), or after you come back from that overseas trip? It's 7am nearly every single day that weather cooperates.

That 11pm to 7pm window is just enough to get the recommended 8 hours sleep. I wasn't getting it because I rarely hit the pillow exactly at 11pm. As a result, that location wasn't working for me by 2008 despite being perfectly happy in 2005.

I don't envy people who deal with Pearson either but when I moved in the Island Airport was mostly a May through September, 10pm to 4pm kind of thing. I wasn't actually aware they did commercial operations prior to that (I'm not from Toronto) and I failed to do the required research on what was actually allowed.

There are sound suppression modifications I could have tried (doubling up the drywall, plenty of heavy fabric hanging from walls, etc.).

Last edited:

Back