Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Perhaps something the TPA should consider is closing the two smaller runways and turning that space over for parkland. I don't imagine the two smaller runways are used that often as it is, and it might generate more goodwill to residents and would also increase the ramp space west of the current terminal.

If they were to do this, I also wonder why they couldn't build a recreational pathway around the west end of the main runway, improving access to the islands from the Bathurst St. area for what I imagine would be little extra cost. If they are going to improve the situation for the airlines, I don't see why they can't also try to improve the situation for residents.

Actually there is an unofficial plan to close the north south runway and make that area a new maintenance hangar for Porter.

If they were to do this, I also wonder why they couldn't build a recreational pathway around the west end of the main runway, improving access to the islands from the Bathurst St. area for what I imagine would be little extra cost. If they are going to improve the situation for the airlines, I don't see why they can't also try to improve the situation for residents.

Are there many international airports with recreational paths at the end of their runways? Perhaps there is reason for that?

Are there many international airports with recreational paths at the end of their runways? Perhaps there is reason for that?

5.JPG

Or how about a path (albeit for cars) through the runway?

gibraltar_airport_runway_funzugorg_03.jpg

Britannia Road also goes under a runway at Pearson. No reason why the path can't go under a runway in this case.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,393
  • gibraltar_airport_runway_funzugorg_03.jpg
    gibraltar_airport_runway_funzugorg_03.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:
There are all sorts of roads that go past the foot of runways a well. Provided there is a fence to keep people of the airfield, I don't see why it should be an issue.

I ate at the italian restaurant in Queens Quay terminal yesterday and any talk about how quiet the Q400 is and how the noise is drowned out by the freeway or streetcar is absolutely nonsense. Sure, if your condo faces the freeway the freeway will be noisier, if your condo faces the intersection of QQ and Bathurst or QQ and Spadina then yes, the streetcar navigating the turn when the tracks aren't properly made wet will be noisier, but for restaurants and condos facing the water the airport is noisy. We ate outside on the upper level and when there were no aircraft taxiing or taking off you could hear the music in the restaurant and the people talking at your table. When there was activity the music in the restaurant was drowned out by the droning of the Luftwaffe and often it became difficult to hear what someone down the table was saying. It isn't as noticeable on the ferry because the sound of the ferry engine vibrates creates a higher noise baseline but despite being on the ferry hearing the engine vibrating through your body, an aircraft passing over is still noticeably louder.

As a (now former) Director of "Friends of Toronto Island" we met with the TPA to ask about this specifically and though they agreed it would be a "great to have" contribution to the neighborhood - the security infrastructure and the physical make-up of the runway and how it relates to the lake would make it an extremely difficult "add-on" to build and manage.

There are still other ideas being explored to get people off an on the island without using the ferries - but its a very slow process.

I sometimes play soccer at the Cherry Beach fields and I can assure everyone that the current planes landing are not quiet. On the other hand I live in the central city and I don't really know anyone personally who is against this expansion. On the contrary many people, many of which are left or left-leaning politically, are strongly in favour.

Series FIRST FLIGHT SCHEDULED FOR THIS MONDAY MORNING!!!
Official announcement from BOMBARDIER follows.................

Bombardier Targets September 16 for CSeries Aircraft Maiden Flight

September 13, 2013 Montréal
Aerospace, Press Release

- Live webcast of the first flight will be available at www.cseriesfirstflight.bombardier.com
- Bombardier Aerospace to hold press conference following the first flight
- Photos of the first flight will be available at www.bombardier.com, cseries.com and via our social media channels. B-roll will be available at bcamediafootage.com

Pending optimal weather conditions and aircraft readiness, the first flight of the CSeries aircraft, flight test vehicle one (FTV1), is expected to take place on Monday, September 16, 2013. More precise timing will be confirmed approximately 24 hours prior.

Representatives of the media are invited to participate onsite at Bombardier’s Mirabel, Québec facility or to follow the event via a live, public webcast at www.cseriesfirstflight.bombardier.com.

Access to the Mirabel site will be rigorously controlled. Only registered media representatives and specially invited guests will have access to the site.

Press Conference
Bombardier will hold a press conference to provide additional details approximately one hour after the first flight’s completion. Representatives of the media that have registered may participate onsite at Bombardier’s Mirabel facility or online at www.cseriesfirstflight.bombardier.com. Questions submitted online by registered media only will be addressed. Due to the expected volume of queries, questions submitted via Twitter or other social media channels will not be addressed at that time.

Follow us on the CSeries Hub at cseries.com and on Bombardier Aerospace’s Twitter channel (@Bombardier_Aero) for news and the latest updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes play soccer at the Cherry Beach fields and I can assure everyone that the current planes landing are not quiet. On the other hand I live in the central city and I don't really know anyone personally who is against this expansion. On the contrary many people, many of which are left or left-leaning politically, are strongly in favour.

I am not surprised to hear this. I think a lot of left-wing and so-called "progressive" politicians (actually regressive) have made a HUGE mistake by backing the anti-expansion advocates. The next time Adam Vaughan, Kristin Wong-Tam, Pam McConnell, Mike Layton, Shelley Carol, Gord Perks, Karen Stintz, and let's not forget Olivia Chow, etc. go to the polls they will pay a heavy price!

As good as Porter Airlines operations are currently - they will get much better with transcontinental WhisperJet service to far-flung cities such as Vancouver and Los Angeles and many vacation destinations in the Caribbean as well as the potential for intercontinental service to the UK !

Last edited:
I am not surprised to hear this. I think a lot of left-wing and so-called "progressive" politicians (actually regressive) have made a HUGE mistake by backing the anti-expansion advocates. The next time Adam Vaughan, Kristin Wong-Tam, Pam McConnell, Mike Layton, Shelley Carol, Gord Perks, Karen Stintz, and let's not forget Olivia Chow, etc. go to the polls they will pay a heavy price!

As good as Porter Airlines operations are currently - they will get much better with transcontinental WhisperJet service to far-flung cities such as Vancouver and Los Angeles and many vacation destinations in the Caribbean as well as the potential for intercontinental service to the UK !

Did you intend to imply that Karent Stintz is a left-wing progressive politician?

No I accidentally lumped her in with the "progressives". Not sure what Stintz is.

She wishes to represent Toronto as a PC cabinet member under Hudak.

Likely best described as a fiscal conservative with a long-term view; that long-term view has severe clashes with Ford.

It's hard to tell her social stance since many of those decisions appear to be driven primarily by money concerns; but she is not uncomfortable in a socially conservative crowd.

She wishes to represent Toronto as a PC cabinet member under Hudak.
Under the PCs or under Hudak?

I could see her functioning well under someone like Tory or Davis. But I can't imagine that she'd function well under a misogynist like Hudak, let alone the ultra-right wingers who are trying to oust him. Ask someone similar like Witmer how well that worked.

Last edited:
Under the PCs or under Hudak?

The first time she put her name forward was in 2011 but Rocco Rossi was nominated instead of Stintz though he did not win the seat.

She strongly supports Tory as mayor but she tried to run under Hudak at the provincial level.

Last edited:

Back