Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

What is happening to the excavated dirt? There was a plan to use the soil to extend the runway but no recent news.

I've got a question for y'all: WestJet's new "Encore" regional airline is supposed to be centred around two hubs: Calgary and Toronto. However, news reports studiously avoid making any mention of specific airports. Any idea where Encore's going to be flying out of? Is it Pearson by default? (I don't expect there's any space at Billy Bishop, or inclination for Porter to share...?)

I've got a question for y'all: WestJet's new "Encore" regional airline is supposed to be centred around two hubs: Calgary and Toronto. However, news reports studiously avoid making any mention of specific airports. Any idea where Encore's going to be flying out of? Is it Pearson by default? (I don't expect there's any space at Billy Bishop, or inclination for Porter to share...?)
If WestJet Encore's eastern hub is Toronto it will be Pearson.

Pearson allows them to maximize the staff already there and allows them to tie the Encore routes to the mainline routes and feed traffic between them......YTZ does not offer them that.

What is happening to the excavated dirt? There was a plan to use the soil to extend the runway but no recent news.

IIRC they announced the plan to lake-fill at the east end of the runway and then the EA requirement for such activities was eliminated by the federal government (neat coincidence, that). The TPA said they'd be doing the dumping at night, in case anyone's interested in trying to find out if they've started.

they have probably been dumping the dirt from the pit there, so I have a feeling it's started. and no EA? god, I get sicker and sicker of Harper every day.

Their own cops ehh...

Island airport needs own police force, Toronto Port Authority says
The Toronto Port Authority wants hired guns to police the island airport.

The TPA’s proposal, which is almost unheard of in Ontario, includes staffing the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport with nine armed special constables between 6 a.m. and midnight seven days a week.

The TPA says it would use the constables to assist investigations, respond to alarm calls and enhance current security services.

But perhaps more importantly, the port authority needs armed officers so that it can operate a preclearance area for U.S. customs, a requirement under federal aviation regulations.

Porter Airlines has been negotiating to bring U.S. customs to the island airport since last year.

“You have to have an armed officer at the screening points because U.S. customs workers aren’t allowed to carry weapons in Canada,” said Angus Armstrong, harbour master and chief of security for the port authority.

“We’re looking at the possibility of having Toronto police or reviving the port police,” said Armstrong. The port police were armed special constables who worked for the Harbour Commission in the 1980s,
More..........http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...ing-officers-wanted-by-toronto-port-authority

“You have to have an armed officer at the screening points because U.S. customs workers aren’t allowed to carry weapons in Canada,” said Angus Armstrong, harbour master and chief of security for the port authority.

What does Pearson and Ottawa airports do for their US customs areas?

Either it's not unheard of (we do it in the only 2 similar locations) or Billy Bishop is trying to do something non-standard/weird.

Flights to Washington DC from Pearson had armed police officers at the gate last time I flew there so I'm thinking this is standard.

Last edited:
What does Pearson and Ottawa airports do for their US customs areas?

Either it's not unheard of (we do it in the only 2 similar locations) or Billy Bishop is trying to do something non-standard/weird.

Flights to Washington DC from Pearson had armed police officers at the gate last time I flew there so I'm thinking this is standard.

Pearson has a Peel Regional Police division on its property, and PRP does most of the policing there (RCMP has some responsibilities regarding traffiking). I'm not sure who is reponsible for Ottawa's airport, either RCMP or Ottawa Police Service.

It appears that TPA wants its own force, rather than contract TPS or RCMP for on-site policing. Though since the TPA is a federal agency, I'm wondering if they can create their own full police force the same way that CN and CP have their own police forces.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by this:
Porter Airlines and Singapore Airlines begin new interline agreement

Toronto, CANADA/January 28, 2013 – Singapore Airlines and Porter Airlines have finalized an interline agreement that provides another travel option between Asia and Canada.

The routing links Porter’s main base at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport with Singapore Changi Airport via a connection at Newark Liberty International Airport. The agreement is effective immediately, with tickets between the two airlines now available for purchase through Singapore Airlines by calling 1-800-663-3046 or calling your travel agent. This agreement allows travellers to check baggage through to their final destination.

Singapore and Porter both define the markets each serve with renowned, innovative customer service recognized around the world.

“This is Porter’s third interline agreement as we continue looking for opportunities to open new destinations for our customers and also introduce Porter to travellers around the world,” said Robert Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. “Singapore Airline’s reputation as a leading global carrier is well known. Our passengers can now benefit from its service first hand.”

“This important new agreement gives Canadians a broad slate of new options for discovering the best of Southeast Asia via SIA’s strong network in the region,” said C.W. Foo, regional vice president – Americas for Singapore Airlines. “Porter Airlines has quickly become a passenger favourite in Canada, and we look forward to providing travellers a more seamless flying experience for both business and leisure.”

Porter offers up to 13 daily roundtrip flights between its downtown Toronto City Airport base and Newark. Singapore Airlines’ route between Newark and Singapore is currently the world’s longest non-stop flight at 18 hours 30 minutes. The flight offers an all-business class configuration of 100 seats.

Sample Porter Airlines (PD) / Singapore Airlines (SQ) itinerary:

From Toronto City Airport to Singapore*

Flight

Depart

Time

Arrive

Time

PD147

Toronto City

8:30 PM

Newark

10:00 PM

SQ21

Newark

11:00 PM

Singapore

06:30 AM +2

From Singapore to Toronto City Airport*

Flight

Depart

Time

Arrive

Time

SQ22

Singapore

12:30 PM

Newark

6:00 PM

PD142

Newark

7:30 PM

Toronto City

9:00 PM

*All times are local.

SIA announced back in December that it was eliminating its Newark flight:

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/press_release_news/ne121218.jsp

Any insights?

Any insights?
Well, it's not for another 10 months. Perhaps negotiations were far advanced when they announced they would cancel, so they went ahead anyway. Can't hurt ...

Edit - reading into it a bit. It's their non-stop they are killing. However all their other New York service goes into JFK from Frankfurt. I suppose they could still codeshare if someone wanted to change ... bit of a hike though. And perhaps they'll run a non-direct service into Newark after ... they also run direct to LAX which is also being cancelled, but they retaining the flight that goes through Tokyo. This is more about them ditching the A340s than anything else I think.

Last edited:
I wonder will the local NIMBYs claim that the secret plan is a runway extension if Lake Ontario mean water levels fall the way Lake Erie and Lake Huron's have been going, transforming the fill into dry land?

Back