News   Mar 28, 2024
 498     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

Best Buy

I haven't been in a Best Buy in ages. I did however buy an electric razor via their website. Overall, their .ca website seems pretty competitively priced. Perhaps this is the future for Best Buy in Canada, becoming Amazon.ca lite?

I bought 3 64gig 600 flash cards for $48 each on Best Buy Website, as it was the lowest price I have seen for Lexar cards. I order a sound system that was 50% off at the same time.

You have to be careful on what you order online as well from. Have to take in the cost of shipping if you have to pay for it in the first place, as some do added it on while other don't.

One reason Tiger Direct is closing their stores, as online was a better way for them in the first place and going back to their roots.

Despite a ton of cash on its balance sheet and profits riding high a year into a pandemic that has spurred epic tech gadget buying, even mighty Best Buy (BBY) realizes it has to slim its store base down further to position for the future of accelerated digital consumption.

"As we look to the near-term, there will be higher thresholds on renewing leases as we evaluate the role each store plays in its market, the investments required to meet our customer needs, and the expected return based on a new retail landscape. For context, we have approximately 450 leases coming up for renewal in the next 3 years, or an average of 150 each year," pointed out Best Buy CEO Corie Barry on an earnings conference call Thursday.

Continued Barry, "As part of the review process, we have closed approximately 20 large format locations each of the past two years, and expect to close a higher number this year. We have also been reducing the length of our average lease term, which will continue to provide us flexibility.

Best Buy ended 2020 with 1,159 stores in the U.S., Mexico and Canada. That's down from a peak of 1,779 in 2014.

Best Buy's looming store closures likely reflects the changes the pandemic has caused to shopper behavior. Consumers are not only shopping more online for the convenience, but also opting to pick up orders in Best Buy parking lots. All of that means less of a need to operate a large format Best Buy store that may be underperforming given the costs to operate said store.

Best Buy is moving more toward experiential stores and using stores for online order fulfillment.

Before the pandemic, many people went to Best Buy just to take a look around, then buy what they like online, often on Amazon.

I must admit that I am guilty of this behaviour that ultimately caused some Best Buy stores to close for good, such as the one at Yonge and Eglinton.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...-retail-for-canadian-consumers-864584990.html

Been a while since we've talked about Best Buy, but with the new partnership with BB and Bell to re-invent The Source - it'll be interesting to see if it'll help. Not sure The Source was able to compete with powerhouses like Amazon on price, so this could help.

On a Toronto-based discussion, does this mean that the recently opened "The Source" at Union Station will be rebranded? And there are two Sources in TEC, so does that mean that we'll be seeing three Best Buy branded stores in one property?

Back