News   Apr 26, 2024
 654     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I don't mean to be a shit disturber, but when I saw the tower first hand yesterday, the glass looked kinda cheap...

Anyone else agree, or am I alone on this one?

well i saw the building a few weeks ago and the glass looked really good its too bad the building wasnt taller or something other than a box

Glass looks good to me especially on a clear day. Will this project win any awards? No. Just nice to see the stump gone and some new office space on the market.

The problem with this building is not the quality of its glass ...what it suffers from is a lack of imagination on the part of Architect. Its as if the Architect set out to design a tower that would have the LEAST impact on the skyline. As a featureless building clad in highly reflective glass it is designed to almost disappear into the skyline under most daytime lighting conditions. To further insure that it does not get noticed the building is a dwarf compared to its nearest neighbors. I hope this mistake does not get compounded by building a nearly identical (but even shorter) tower to the east. Brookfield needs to go back to the drawing board for the second phase and come up with a bold TALLER tower.

Peepers, (welcome to the Forum) quite a number of us agree with you regarding the bland architecture. Regarding the height of the building, well, that's a little more complicated. If you have time I would encourage you to go back through this thread where you can read about the history of this project, and you'll get the bigger picture of the restrictions regarding height that the builder is dealing with, namely the City, market forces, etc.

Peepers, (welcome to the Forum) quite a number of us agree with you regarding the bland architecture. Regarding the height of the building, well, that's a little more complicated. If you have time I would encourage you to go back through this thread where you can read about the history of this project, and you'll get the bigger picture of the restrictions regarding height that the builder is dealing with, namely the City, market forces, etc.

Interchange42 thankyou for your welcome. Regarding height I do understand that the developer must work within the constraints imposed by the city and by the market place however the previous design for this site (version 3) envisioned a 62 storey mixed use tower that was comparable in height to the original 57 story tower (version 1) that was APPROVED by the city. In terms of office space the previous version was also comparable to the current design (the addition of condos giving it needed height). It was a bold design that would have made an impact on the skyline. My issue however is not so much with height (although taller would have been better) but with the complete lack of imagination that went into this design.

Interchange42 thankyou for your welcome. Regarding height I do understand that the developer must work within the constraints imposed by the city and by the market place however the previous design for this site (version 3) envisioned a 62 storey mixed use tower that was comparable in height to the original 57 story tower (version 1) that was APPROVED by the city. In terms of office space the previous version was also comparable to the current design (the addition of condos giving it needed height). It was a bold design that would have made an impact on the skyline. My issue however is not so much with height (although taller would have been better) but with the complete lack of imagination that went into this design.
I'd love to see these previous designs.

^ keep going back in the thread (don't know how far back) There are 3 previous. One being PoMo, another kinda similar to Aura and a third variation

Brookfield has a certain amount of density on the site they are allowed, and having the extra towers means they have to go shorter. No surprise, but given how long they held onto this property (No parking income), I figured they probably wouldn't spent a lot of money on those little extras.

To be honest... they all suck.

V.1 - Early nineties Atlanta - looks like something the people on Melrose Place would have worked in. Two words: LA Law.
V.2 - The swoop roof says we're different, but still too cheap to get a real architect.
V.3 - We have no idea what we're doing so we just threw this together! Setbacks are cool, right?
V.4 - The bland leading the bland.

Old Post but QFT. Love it.

August 27

2804230483_2ace15403c_b.jpg

2804230493_2e26904a2c_b.jpg

2804230501_e5edd2c42c_b.jpg

2804230513_d613a155fd_b.jpg

It's the original, but they're inserting extra brick or concrete in strategic areas to make the windows line up with the actual windows/floors of the tower.

Back