News   Oct 09, 2024
 651     3 
News   Oct 09, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Oct 09, 2024
 489     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Re: Photos 11/03/07

One feature that seems to have become dominant is the idea of a 'podium'. New buildings are largely judged by their podiums. Yet a few decades ago, podiums were relatively uncommon. For all we know, buildings constructed 20 years from now will have returned to a podium-less design, and all the buildings with podiums being currently built will be regarded with derision -- much like most PoMo is regarded now.
Funny that you mention the Empire State and Chrysler buildings later in your post. Both of those early skyscrapers have podiums, or in Chrysler's case it's more like a highrise on top of a midrise. Either way it's not a new idea.

circuitboy:

I thought that tower looked rather PoMo ugly :)

AoD

I think BAC has an elegant design. Will have a fabulous Light-LED display and will fill the hole in the skyline when viewed from the East & West.

On top of that it adds serious bulk to the Financial district core.

I think what matters in design is how we compare the intent of the client with the outcome of the design. The design of this building suggests bulk utilitarian office space. As such it will add discreet volume and welcome substance to the core. There are many such buildings and there is nothing wrong with this. However, if the intention of the client is for this to be a prestige address than I think the design disappoints. Concentrating on LED designation or environmental design is great but cutting edge standards now will likely seem archaic even a decade from now. I think the point of argument here then is is this a prestige address? It certainly was but perhaps Brookfield has re-thought the properties place in its portfolio, in which case my criticism is misdirected.

i prefer this building going up than looking at a stump for another 20 years

I always liked the original design as a kid, but now it would just look tacky on the skyline. I loved the sloped roof design from the late 1990's, but it now also seems like its outdated. While the latest rendering is boring, it seems to be the one design that wont look bad in 10 years. Just more of a no opinion.

I think we are experiencing another typical UT overreaction. I'm going to go out on a limb (hopefully the naysayers won't shoot me) and say that this tower will look much better than the rendering when it is fully built. BA will also add tremendous density to this area, and its height is perfect for the design. To have a landmark design that's barely visible in the skyline (being blocked by FCP, Scotia, and possibly Trump) wouldn't mean much. Nonetheless, I agree that had they built a 300m tower with this design it would have been thorougly dissappointing.

Lets cheer up people, we are getting a beautful glass structure in place of that concrete stump, yes the same one that forumers fancied getting rid of for many years.

Its good to be a Torontonian these days... :hat

Re: Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread

Seems that demolition of the stump is complete and actual construction has started. Cement trucks are onsite and formwork for new floors is being assembled. Excavation continues along Bay.

Ed, so do you think that the remaining section of the stump below grade is being kept? And I wonder how long until a crane shows up now?

On a side not yesterday morning I noticed that a pit for a crane has finally been dug out at Telus. It's only a matter od time now.

The lower levels of the stump contain mechanical services for the original B/A that are being retained for the new project. It was, I was told, the world's most expensive parking lot.

You'll notice that the exposed edges of the stump's basement floors come to a precise, smooth edge, rather than a ragged, demolished one. (Indeed, some exposed edges are ragged and demolished.) I'm assuming that this means that new concrete was poured to bring them back into neatness after having been ripped apart.

Again, very good news. - Construction has really started now. Can't wait to watch this one rise.

This is excellent news! Once BA, Ritz and RBC are above grade things will really start changing!

^and we will have gotten another 'construction to start soon' announcement for Trump

The clean edges are probably from a concrete saw, they wouldn't bother building formwork just to pretty up the edges.

Has anyone been by this site lately? I was there a couple weeks ago and it looked they'd reached bottom. Any signs of footings for a crane?

No Crane.

I was just at BA yesterday, but couldn't get a good view because of onlookers infront of me. However, I did not see any signs of a crane from what I could see. I do think that they have reached bottom, so I expect to see a crane rise very soon.

Marcusaj ... good trump joke. Zinggg.

Back