News   Apr 26, 2024
 533     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 210     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 693     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Here's the Star's report:

Past, progress sometimes mix
Two huge downtown projects incorporate heritage buildings

Elsewhere pieces of Toronto's history fall to the wrecker's ball
May 10, 2006. 01:00 AM
DONOVAN VINCENT
CITY HALL BUREAU

Two massive downtown Toronto high-rise projects — a 65-storey condo/hotel on University Ave. and the 50-storey office tower at Bay and Adelaide cleared major hurdles yesterday, signs a building boom in the city's core is in high gear.

Toronto and East York community council gave the go-ahead to Brookfield's $250 million office tower, planned for the northeast corner of Bay and Adelaide. The highrise, if approved by city council later this month, could start being built as early as this fall, with occupancy in early 2009.

The transparent glass skyscraper is part of a larger $500 million proposal, which includes plans for a hotel and condo.

The 65-storey building, estimated worth close to $400 million, is slated for University and Adelaide and has earned the nickname the "Shangri La tower'' because Westbank Developments wants to get the large Asia-based Shangri La Hotels to operate the first 10 floors of the building. No agreement has been reached yet with Shangri La for the planned five-star hotel.

Westbank hopes to begin construction next summer, finishing in 2010. "These are two of the most significant underdeveloped blocks in the city. It's exciting to see developments of this calibre going foreword,'' city councillor Janet Davis, chair of the Toronto and East York community council, said in an interview.

The Bay-Adelaide project is being lauded for being TTC accessible and because it won't cast a major shadow over Nathan Phillips Square.

Davis is also pleased that both the Bay-Adelaide and hotel/condo projects are incorporating existing heritage buildings into their designs. The 80-year-old, 12-storey National Building, one of the early Bay Street office buildings, will be dismantled and rebuilt as part of the Bay-Adelaide tower.

The abandoned Bishop's Block, originally built in the late 1820s as apartments, and last operating as a bar before being closed decades ago, will be gutted but its facades will be maintained as a stand-alone building that's part of the University Ave. project. Other old structures in the city haven't been as fortunate, including the recent demolition of the 1963 Inn on the Park Hotel. And the office of a Scarborough firm that made millions of throwaway paper cups is itself disposable in the 21st century, Scarborough community council decided yesterday.

Councillors ignored the last-ditch plea of Rick Schofield, chair of the Scarborough community preservation panel, to intervene to preserve the façade of the old Lily Cup building on Danforth Rd. A concrete 2 1/2-storey Lily cup forms the building's front entrance. The site is slated to become a seniors' apartment and townhouses.

With files from Paul Moloney and John Spears

and from the Sun: (my highlights)

Two towers set to change T.O. skyline
Construction could cost $1 billion
By ROB GRANATSTEIN, CITY HALL BUREAU

An eyesore and a hole in Toronto's downtown are about to be filled with huge skyscrapers.

Proposals for two buildings on Adelaide St., one 50 storeys and the other 65 storeys, breezed through a city committee yesterday paving the way for the two towering projects.

The wrecking ball will be called in to destroy the "stump," a six-storey elevator core on Adelaide St. W., that was supposed to be part of a long-stalled high-rise office building on the site.

Construction was halted on the tower in 1990 when the office market went south.

'ROCKEFELLER CENTER'

"It's been an eyesore ever since," architect Carl Blanchaer said yesterday.

He's planning to change all that, not only with the new building, but a new public plaza.

"This will become the Rockefeller Center of Toronto," Blanchaer said.

Phase one will be a 50-storey building at Bay and Adelaide, plus the public plaza.

Two other towers could also be built if the market for office rental space stays strong.

Construction could start by the fall with tenants moving in by early 2009. The project is worth more than $500 million.

Just west, at University Ave. and Adelaide St., a $400-million, 65-storey five-star hotel will replace a parking lot.

Construction on this building is expected to begin in spring 2007 and be done in 2010.

The two developments still have to be approved by city council at its meeting in two weeks.

Fall start, summer start, gah. Who do you believe anymore?

Thanks for the article AoD.

It'll take time to demolish those two buildings on Bay so fall makes sense as does end of May to start taking them down.

The transparent glass skyscraper

Hoping it looks good.

Don't get me wrong I think it is great that BA is going forward and if it is a box so be it but "quality materials" while top of the list on many forumer's minds is to me of secondary importance to the form and massing. Cladding is largely superficial in this sense as a thin skin on a structure as opposed to low-rise buildings where it can be integrated into the core expression of the building. Another comment is about an "urban plaza". Like quality materials the concept of an urban plaza is not particularly interesting to me as we have plenty of such windswept spaces in the financial district already.

I hope they buld it right. No cheapy cheapy.

I won;t even daydream about lighting. The bird people are already formulating a plan to keep it dark and hidden in the skyline.

T-Dot I'll have to disagree on two fronts.

Firstly, I don't see the plaza as being windswept all. Temperance is already nicely insulated by 360 degree density (even moreso if all 3 towers are built) and the plans for a very tall/substantial sidewalk canopy would mitigate rain impact as well. This plaza has potential to be a place of interest in MINT.

As for cladding/skin versus form and massing, I'll take a simple design with exquisite materials over a "unique" form with "inexpensive" building materials any day. Whatshisname is in the details.

Rockerfeller Plaza? Does this mean we get skating and iconic architecture???

If they surround the plaza with retail (and restaurants) and put in an interesting water feature, it has the potential to really work beyond just a place to eat lunch outside.

There's going to be a Winners right across the street - praise be - it can be the Saks to BA's Rockefeller Centre.

If done correctly the plaza could extend the Yonge Dundas retail strip southwards... a connection via the Bay, Simons overlooking the Plaza, a downtown business oriented Holt's... it could work.

Holts is so busy on the weekends, so why would they want a second store in the much quieter business district?

Ed, another section of the PATH for you to enjoy in the not so distant future ;)

I hate the approved design of the tower.

I'm actually hoping this doesn't get built.

I rather keep the site vacant for another decade then to have that uninspiring building built on such a prime site.

Louroz

Wait for the proper rendering before putting it down. It could still be stunning.

Back