News   Apr 19, 2024
 45     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 728     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.9K     2 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

re: current BA design

It's not terrible in that sense that it won't be Pudong-ly offensive, but it's certainly on the bland side of things.

I will keep a wait and see attitude on the matter of materials. And one more thing...

*throws tomato at scarberian*

AoD

Talk about an anti-climax. All this excitement generated by the resurrection of BA... and now, just another Toronto box. Yawn...

The elevations of Bay-Adelaide look awfully similar to another building. I wish I could put my finger on it. I'm positive I've seen that design before...

It seems rare in Toronto regarding big buildings, that we actually get what was promised, or hyped, or even suggested.

It would be nice to be pleasantly suprised by council approving something downtown , and for it to get bigger, and for the builder to want to make a statement about themselves, and the quality they can deliver to all future projects they get into.

Sorry , was I dreaming?

Here's a suggestion. Take that "curtain wall test section" hanging off 347 Bay, put it on floats, and manoeuvre it down the St. Lawrence Seaway. Maybe all the way to Europe, if you're Kon-Tiki daring

Actually I was thinking the other day they they should put that somewhere else on the project. A different take on facadism.

Toronto just loves the big box towers nothing fancy or futuristic just the plain shitty cheap box

man, kraft must be making a fortune serving cheese with all this whine... and this isn't even a miketoronto thread!

for the builder to want to make a statement about themselves

That's the flaw in your thinking. Builders don't want to make statements. They want to make MONEY.

^^^^The Kon-Tiki sailed to Polynesia...the Ra II crossed the Atlantic.

Toronto just loves the big box towers nothing fancy or futuristic just the plain shitty cheap box

I think if it actually gets built, all the way to the top, right up to the spire with a little flashy lightbulb on it, and then it gets filled up with little workers who will undoubtebly push papers around and pretend to work way late into the night thus making the skyline just a little bit denser and brighter - I think a big boxy tower will suit me just fine then, thank you very much.

BA is also approved by Community Council, as per the Post:

No objections as city approves two towers
Unanimous vote: Downtown office tower, Shangri-La Hotel to be built

James Cowan, National Post
Published: Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Proposals for tall buildings usually provoke outrage and controversy at City Hall, but Toronto councillors yesterday approved two major developments -- a five-star hotel and a 50-storey office tower -- with almost no debate.

Councillors have grappled with numerous skyscraper proposals in the past year, including the Sapphire Tower (which they opposed) and a new Four Seasons hotel (which was approved). But Toronto and East York Community Council yesterday unanimously endorsed the 50-storey Bay-Adelaide Centre at Bay and Temperance streets and a 65-storey tower at Adelaide Street and University Avenue that will likely become home to the city's first Shangri-La Hotel.

A lawyer for the hotel's developers marvelled at how easily the tower was approved.

"In a city where building high-rises is so confrontational, this is a project that seems to be at the right place, at the right time and without a lot of controversy," Stephen Diamond said, adding later: "It is a very positive sign, given how difficult it can be to get construction going in the city of Toronto."

Mr. Diamond noted no local residents have objected to the project. Indeed, the only concerns have come from historians worried about preserving the Bishop's Block, one of the oldest surviving buildings in the downtown core.

Completed in 1833, the building was originally part of a series of row houses built by John Bishop, a butcher. The building soon became one of Toronto's first hotels and later the Pretzel Bell Tavern, a hangout popular with the Maple Leafs.

The site's developer, Westbanks Projects Corporation, earned the support of the Toronto Preservation Board by promising to restore the building's facade to its original appearance and preserve any artifacts found on the site.

Because of extensive water and weather damage, the interior of the Bishop's Block will be demolished and rebuilt. It will likely eventually be reopened as a restaurant or bar.

"We think this is a great opportunity to restore a building that is dilapidating today," Mr. Diamond said.

Craig Heron, a history professor at York University, urged councillors to preserve as much of the existing building as possible.

"This stands as a golden opportunity for bringing into being a heritage site that preserves the memory of the hotel industry," Mr. Heron said.

City Councillor Joe Pantalone praised the project, noting it will occupy the last empty lot along the University Avenue promenade. "What this particular proposal does is bring a high level -- perhaps Shangri-La -- development to the city," Mr. Pantalone said.

"It preserves the Bishop's Block as a stand-alone building.... One can always do more, but one can always aspire for more, but one must also be happy with an excellent proposal."

Construction on the $400-million project will likely begin next summer. It is expected to be completed by 2010.

Several blocks east of the hotel, work is also expected to resume on the Bay-Adelaide Centre, a long-delayed office tower.

First approved by city council in 1989, the development was originally intended to be a 57-storey office tower. While construction began on the project, work halted after the commercial real estate market collapsed. For the past 20 years, the site has been occupied by an infamous six-storey "stump."

A plan to restart the project in 1999 as a 47-storey tower fizzled after an anchor tenant could not be found. Despite the development's spotty history, Carl Blanchaer, the building's architect, said the Bay-Adelaide Centre now appears ready to proceed.

"It's definitely happening this time," Mr. Blanchaer said. "The office market has turned around after being in a slump for a number of years, and we've seen a lot of activity in the downtown and a lot of interest in the project."

The revised plan backed by councillors yesterday calls for the construction of a 50-storey office tower, with two additional buildings planned.

The site currently occupied by the stump will become a public square.

The development will also add a missing piece to the PATH network of underground pedestrian walkways.

jcowan@nationalpost.com

OFFICES

Bay-Adelaide Centre

Purpose: Office tower

Storeys: 50

Bonus for the City:

New public square

Developer: Brookfield Properties Corporation

Construction Starts: Fall, 2006

Expected to be completed: Winter, 2008

HOTEL

180 University Avenue