News   Apr 25, 2024
 282     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 906     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 927     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Why do you say that? Trump went on sale at 70 stories, 988 feet (1064 for the spire).
Caltrane wasn't referring simply to height. Trump's floorplates are really tiny compared to any commercial tower downtown. It's going to be a really thin building.

The statement was implying that no other building in Toronto will ever be built as high as Scotia/FCP again.
Actually, the statement was that no other buildings will be built that big again, and he referenced some total square footage stats in the same post, not height.

Such Doom and Gloom.Why do you say that when Torontos office vacancy is at the lowest in years.
Yes, but look at that logically: Toronto's office vacancies are at the lowest in years, but the Bay Adelaide towers, Telus (short), and RBC (only 50% leased last I heard) are going to pretty much eat up all of the demand.

All that's left are a couple of short office buildings south of the train tracks, one of which is proposed by a reluctant developer who would rather build condos. Keep in mind again that this is the largest construction boom in decades. This isn't Dubai.

I don't know man, I'm planning to live a pretty long time.

Lots can change, even in a decade. Ten years ago it would have been hard to imagine a 50-storey office tower being built.

I predict that 10 years from now there will be an over 1000 foot office tower under construction.

10 years ago, Simcoe Place was a relatively new office tower......built into a market with almost zero demand for new office space. The only thing that got it built was Bob Rae's eagerness to create some make work programs for Ontario construction workers.

Anyways.. enough about the past.

As grey just stated there is alot of office space coming down the pipe in the next few years.... 3D can give you the details, but if I was going off the top of my head:

BA
RBC
Telus
MLS
MaRs

Then those buildings proposed:

SITC
18 York
Richmond Adelaide Centre
BA2

This will eat into whatever vacancy is out there for a good while, and only the SITC proposal will come anywhere close to BA1 in size.

Tall condos are cool though! :)

Actually, the statement was that no other buildings will be built that big again, and he referenced some total square footage stats in the same post, not height.

Indeed. Fair enough.

I basically agree with you guys, all I'm saying is that it's impossible to predict what will happen a decade from now, let alone for the rest of our lifetimes. Maybe Rogers or Manulife will want to build a huge office tower downtown. Maybe RIM will grow tenfold and want a huge corporate office downtown. Maybe Globalive will supplant Rogers, Telus, and Bell as the dominant wireless company and build a huge office downtown.

Realistically, it seems like there will be a bit of a slowdown in the short term, but there could easily be a huge office building boom within 10-15 years. Or maybe the slowdown will worsen and turn into a decade-long slump with no new office construction.

The SITQ site would be a great location for a huge office tower.

I basically agree with you guys, all I'm saying is that it's impossible to predict what will happen a decade from now, let alone for the rest of our lifetimes. Maybe Rogers or Manulife will want to build a huge office tower downtown. Maybe RIM will grow tenfold and want a huge corporate office downtown. Maybe Globalive will supplant Rogers, Telus, and Bell as the dominant wireless company and build a huge office downtown.

Realistically, it seems like there will be a bit of a slowdown in the short term, but there could easily be a huge office building boom within 10-15 years. Or maybe the slowdown will worsen and turn into a decade-long slump with no new office construction.

The SITQ site would be a great location for a huge office tower.

Hey you never know Toronto was just rated the 13 worlds most commercial city.They are difinetly in the big league,i cant see why in the near future a couple of mega companies wont set up shop here with something big.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company/en/insights/pdfs/2008/MCWW_WCoC-Report_2008.pdf

from News46 at flickr. This guy seems to work in the CTV news helicopter and he has tons of great aerial shots of the city. Check his stuff out here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/news46/

2701566006_74c6431b21_o.jpg

^Seeing that picture, I find myself wishing for the impossible: that Toronto would have been twice the size it actually was in 1912 and that our downtown would be a forest of Beaux Arts bank towers.

^Seeing that picture, I find myself wishing for the impossible: that Toronto would have been twice the size it actually was in 1912 and that our downtown would be a forest of Beaux Arts bank towers.

I have the same wish every single day :(

I wonder what it would take to build a genuine Beaux Arts tower in this day and age with modern building techniques without turning out like 1 King West or 25 The Esplanade?

I have the same wish every single day :(

I wonder what it would take to build a genuine Beaux Arts tower in this day and age with modern building techniques without turning out like 1 King West or 25 The Esplanade?

A miracle? Although even if it was built to the exacting standards that developers back then followed, I can still see it coming off as too faux or contrived.

Also that aerial shot really shows off how massive and towering Scotia is. Oh how I love that building.

^^^ apparently it can be done.. it just takes about 8 million dollars per apartment http://www.535wea.com/

I think Bay Adelaide is coming along nicely, I do find it kind of unfortunate though, that the Fins from the renderings were removed.. and seeing the scotia building in those photos makes me crave more differently coloured skyscrapers... I mean.. Here's Bay-adelaide more blue glass... I'd like to see something in, Oh i dont know.. Yellow! or Purple, or.. haha, Well I dont know.

Back